Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Transfers

Default Re: Basketball Transfers

I think Brown could have 3 years. He is 3 years removed from High School. Played as a Freshman at Nevada then transferred, sat a year at Arizona then played as a Sophomore during the “free” Covid year. If he can play next year he would technically still be a sophomore.

Because I’m an ignoramus when it comes to basketball; imma wing it: so the point guard is your QB or your MIke LB. he doesn’t need to have super athleticism like Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes; but he needs to be smart like Brees or Manning. Like Willie Lanier; Mike Singletary; Sam Mills - knows where everybody needs to be and can call adjustments on the court - a student of the game. Then you need your TOs and Adrian Peterson’s. And then a good Alan Page to muscle up on the basket. But it starts with the QB/MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    They played together at Lafayette HS did they not?
    May have played together when Jalen was a freshman. Jalen has taken longer to develop than Corey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Sounds like Herb Brooks’ comments in the Movie, “Miracle”. ....All-Star teams fail because they rely solely on the I individual’s talent. The Soviets (substitute in GOOD Coaching) win because they take that talent, and use it in a system that’s for the betterment of the TEAM.
    Well, and they drink vodka, lots of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Because I’m an ignoramus when it comes to basketball; imma wing it: so the point guard is your QB or your MIke LB. he doesn’t need to have super athleticism like Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes; but he needs to be smart like Brees or Manning. Like Willie Lanier; Mike Singletary; Sam Mills - knows where everybody needs to be and can call adjustments on the court - a student of the game. Then you need your TOs and Adrian Peterson’s. And then a good Alan Page to muscle up on the basket. But it starts with the QB/MLB.
    Yes, the point guard is similar to a QB in football. This past season, many fans did not think much of Brayan AU due to his lack of athleticism (knee injury may have been a factor). However the coaching staff knew he was a key into the 13 and 4 record they started with. When he went out, things were never as efficient (although they had turnover issues all season regardless of who played point). Note that he was given the leadership award for the season. Hopefully we can fill that role efficiently this coming year. It will be a key for improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I think Brown could have 3 years. He is 3 years removed from High School. Played as a Freshman at Nevada then transferred, sat a year at Arizona then played as a Sophomore during the “free” Covid year. If he can play next year he would technically still be a sophomore.
    Had not thought of it that way. Thanks for bringing it up. You would think the appeal would be granted considering his Arizona coach was fired for NCAA rules violations.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I think quite the opposite.

Marlin makes every player he coaches better.

His weakness in my opinion is he doesn't turn these better players into a "team."
    bump

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I suspect Dalcourt will be asked to fill the role Butts played of providing quick scoring off the bench. I agree Julien will move to the 3 spot vs the 4. My predicted starting lineup is Russell, Williams, Julien, Brown, and Awkuba. This assumes Brown is eligible and Dou Gueye does not come back. I don't know what the status of Gueye potentially coming back is. I tend to think he won't return considering his age but I did not think Russell would return either so what do I know. By the way I saw a tweet from Kobe Julien to the effect it is will be good to have the band back together again. That occurred right when the Dalcourt news broke. Some take that to mean that Julien, Williams, and Dalcourt played AAU ball together at one point. I don't know if that is true but it would make sense.
    Without spending a bunch of time going back and researching Dalcourt, can you tell me what kind of shooter he is? We need shooting in a big way since Marlin is married to this 3 ball or layup philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    If Marlin can't blow up the SBC with this sort of talent, he deserves to get canned...
    I don't think Marlin can F#$^ this up!

However, if we go one and done NCAA, he needs to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Like anything else, there is good and bad in the player development aspect. Guys like Brian Mbamalu and Kasey Shepherd improved in their time here. As frustrating as Dou Gueye was with his decision making, he was actually much better with that last season than the year before. Frank Bartley, Jonathon Stove, and Bryce Washington also improved as their careers progressed. This past season, Theo Awkuba showed much more here than he ever did at Portland. On the negative side, Jalen Johnson probably regressed from his years at St. Louis in the one year he played here. Shawn Long was a good player for us but his last 2 years were very similar to his first two. Justin Miller and Jerekus Davis were pretty much the same players their entire career here. You could say the same for Heyward Register. Mixed bag from player development aspect.
    I still have trouble deciding if its a development issue or just an inability to put the current set of players in a position to play their best. My biggest criticism of Marlin, besides his ability to recruit and keep players, has been his ability to devise a system that fits his -talent. I think the only year he truly did this was the 17-18 season. With a true PG who could control the ball, we used Bartley and Stove to the best of their abilities and our offense was much more efficient than it is now. Fast forward to now that Marlin has adopted this 3 ball or layup philosophy, I don't feel we really have the personnel to do this and it showed in our inconsistency on offense this past season.

11. Default Re: Basketball Transfers

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Without spending a bunch of time going back and researching Dalcourt, can you tell me what kind of shooter he is? We need shooting in a big way since Marlin is married to this 3 ball or layup philosophy.
    Dalcourt is a pretty good 3 point shooter as he shot 35.4% from 3 point land, the problem is he only shot 36.2% overall, which tells me he may have made some poor decisions when he did not have a wide open 3 point shot. He also we pretty at FT as he shot 73.7% from the line with 19 attempts in 15 games. In JUCO at Iowa Western he shot 37% from 3 and 40.2% overall.

Dalcourt is a very athletic guy as he ran track in HS and competed in the High Jump, so he should have pretty good hops.

I am not sure why he only played in 15 games last season. SJSU played a total of 21 games, so he missed 6 of their games. He did not play any games in December, so I am not sure if it was injury related or if it was eligibility issues or something else.

He should help the Cajuns, similarly to how Devin Butts played, but hopefully more consistent. In fact their stats last year were very similar. He is not as tall as Butts as Butts was listed at 6'6", although he did not look 6'6, Dalcourt is listed at 6'2.

12. Default Re: Basketball Transfers

The fear I have with at least 2 of 3 of these guys are they are well traveled. Dalcourt played 1 season at Tallahassee CC,then transferred to Iowa Western, then on to San Jose State and now to UL. Jordan Brown started his career at Nevada, then to Arizona now to UL.

Hopefully they both will settle in and be here for the rest of their college careers.

I am actually somewhat excited about the product we might see next year on the court. Now let's hope that as someone stated before we get a freebee with Cedric coming back and maybe he could convince Dou Gueye to come back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    The fear I have with at least 2 of 3 of these guys are they are well traveled. Dalcourt played 1 season at Tallahassee CC,then transferred to Iowa Western, then on to San Jose State and now to UL. Jordan Brown started his career at Nevada, then to Arizona now to UL.

Hopefully they both will settle in and be here for the rest of their college careers.

I am actually somewhat excited about the product we might see next year on the court. Now let's hope that as someone stated before we get a freebee with Cedric coming back and maybe he could convince Dou Gueye to come back as well.
    I am torn on Guye. I like his size and athleticism but he makes poor decisions and turns the ball over WAY too much. As a team we struggled with that but he really cost us at times and the other things he does well may not do enough to make up for it. With Brown at that spot next year (hopefully) and Richards developing, I'd rather take on a good wing player or shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post

i felt that way about Jordan Brown also, but upon review, he left Nevada after his coach left and he is leaving Arizona after their coach was sent packing; so I have hopes for him.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I am torn on Guye. I like his size and athleticism but he makes poor decisions and turns the ball over WAY too much. As a team we struggled with that but he really cost us at times and the other things he does well may not do enough to make up for it. With Brown at that spot next year (hopefully) and Richards developing, I'd rather take on a good wing player or shooter.
    I felt Dou Gueye made a big jump from his first year to the second here. If he could show that same improvement he would be/could be a really valuable asset to the team, IMO.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information