Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

1. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    C-USA had two potential hosts for probably 1 spot going into their tourney (Tech or S. Miss). Neither won the conference tourney and it is quite possible that neither will host now.
    Without diving too deeply, given the events of these weekend the following seems likely ...

Of the 20 selected potential sites ...
    Arizona, Arkansas, East Carolina, Florida, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Oregon, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas Tech, and Vanderbilt look like #1 seeds and hosts. These leaves two sites for the remaining six. IMO you can eliminate Pitt. I also think that Louisiana Tech will evaluate higher than both Charlotte and Southern Miss. Charlotte was the regular season champ (by 1 game - 2 wins) but schedules were not balanced. The loser of Tech/USM this weekend was likely eliminated, but I have seen stranger things. Not sure three sites are necessary in Mississippi either.

As such, the final two spots may come down to South Carolina, Gonzaga, and Louisiana Tech. Also keep in mind that Old Dominion is a solid #1 seed, but will not be hosting. They cannot go to Louisiana Tech as a #1 seed. Might they go to South Carolina with the Gamecocks a #2 seed? Or will South Carolina host as a #1 seed and ODU goes to Spokane as a #1 seed and Gonzaga as the #2 seed?

If Louisiana Tech had won today, they would be hosting. But it is now nail-biting time in Ruston and it really depends on how they are evaluated against South Carolina and potentially Gonzaga.

Brian

Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    With diving too deeply, given the events of these weekend the following seems likely ...

Arizona, Arkansas, East Carolina, Florida, Mississippi State, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Oregon, Stanford, TCU, Tennessee, Texas, Texas Tech, and Vanderbilt look like #1 seeds and hosts. These leaves two sites for the remaining six. IMO you can eliminate Pitt. I also think that Louisiana Tech will evaluate higher than both Charlotte and Southern Miss. Charlotte was the regular season champ (by 1 game - 2 wins) but schedules were not balanced. The loser of Tech/USM this weekend was likely eliminated, but I have seen stranger things. Not sure three sites are necessary in Mississippi either.

As such, the final two spots may come down to South Carolina, Gonzaga, and Louisiana Tech. Also keep in mind that Old Dominion is a solid #1 seed, but will not be hosting. They cannot go to Louisiana Tech as a #1 seed. Might they go to South Carolina with the Gamecocks a #2 seed? Or will South Carolina host as a #1 seed and ODU goes to Spokane as a #1 seed and Gonzaga as the #2 seed?

If Louisiana Tech had won today, they would be hosting. But it is now nail-biting time in Ruston and it really depends on how they are evaluated against South Carolina and potentially Gonzaga.

Brian
    As usual, great breakdown. When will the sites be announced? Thought I heard it would be today.

With diving too deeply, given the events of these weekend the following seems likely ...

Brian
    Thanks Brian.

4. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    As usual, great breakdown. When will the sites be announced? Thought I heard it would be today.
    In about 15 minutes ... 7:30pm CST.

Brian

In about 15 minnutes ... 7:30pm CST.

Brian
    Is it on TV?

6. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Without diving too deeply, given the events of these weekend the following seems likely ...

Brian
    Oklahoma State also might go somewhere as a #1 seed if they win the Big XII Tournament title. That makes two potential regional sites with the hosts as #2 seeds. Ruston could certainly be one of those. Oklahoma State as the #1 in Ruston would fit. The Cowboys are also much healthier now and playing good baseball. That said, still a decent chance with a tournament title OSU is a #2 seed.

Brian

7. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Brian
    And the sites have been released. Louisiana Tech and South Carolina are in ... and Gonzaga is out. Old Dominion likely at South Carolina as a #1 seed with the Gamecocks as a #2 seed.

Austin, Texas (Texas) — 42-15
    Columbia, S.C. (South Carolina) — 33-21
    Eugene, Oregon (Oregon) — 37-14
    Fayetteville, Ark. (Arkansas) — 45-10
    Fort Worth, Texas (TCU) — 39-17
    Gainesville, Fla. (Florida) — 38-20
    Greenville, N.C. (East Carolina) — 41-15
    Knoxville, Tenn. (Tennessee) — 45-15
    Lubbock, Texas (Texas Tech) — 36-15
    Nashville, Tenn. (Vanderbilt) — 40-15
    Oxford, Miss. (Ole Miss) — 41-19
    Ruston, La. (Louisiana Tech) — 40-17
    South Bend, Ind. (Notre Dame) — 30-11
    Stanford, Calif. (Stanford) — 33-14
    Starkville, Miss. (Mississippi State) — 40-15
    Tucson, Ariz. (Arizona) — 40-15

Brian

And the sites have been released. Louisiana Tech and South Carolina are in ... and Gonzaga is out. Old Dominion likely at South Carolina as a #1 seed with the Gamecocks as a #2 seed.

Brian
    Brian, it looks like Tech and Mcneese might be the only 2 state teams in the tournament.

9. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Brian, it looks like Tech and Mcneese might be the only 2 state teams in the tournament.
    Southern won their conference tourney and is already in. LSU?

10. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

It will be interesting to see who the #2 seed is in Ruston. It does not look like anyone regional. I think that Oklahoma State likely goes to Arkansas as the #2 seed, unless they come back and defeat TCU for the Big XII Tournament title.

Brian

11. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

It will be interesting to see who the #2 seed is in Ruston. It does not look like anyone regional. I think that Oklahoma State likely goes to Arkansas as the #2 seed, unless they come back and defeat TCU for the Big XII Tournament title.

Brian
    TCU has opened up a 5 run lead.

12. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Southern won their conference tourney and is already in. LSU?
    I have a hard time believing LSU will be left out. This would also mean only seven SEC teams make the field of 64, as they are firmly in the 8th spot in the SEC. They had one of the most difficult schedules in the country and I feel they will be rewarded.

Brian

I have a hard time believing LSU will be left out. This would also mean only seven SEC teams make the field of 64, as they are firmly in the 8th spot in the SEC. They had one of the most difficult schedules in the country and I feel they will be rewarded.

Brian
    Do you have lsu in your field of 64, if you what seed and where?

14. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

ESPN's Mike Rooney, regarding South Carolina over Gonzaga as the last host site, is not thinking that South Carolina is likely a #2 seed in their own regional. That would have likely been the case for both South Carolina and Gonzaga. This is because Old Dominion has proved they are a #1 seed and is not hosting. How can Louisiana Tech be a #1 seed and host while Old Dominion is a #2 seed?

Brian

15. Default Re: D1Baseabll Projects the Field of 64

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Do you have lsu in your field of 64, if you what seed and where?
    I have not put a field together.

But looking at likely teams to make the field and the travel possibilities, LSU in Ruston as a #3 seed makes a lot of sense. They will likely fly in a #2 seed (over 400 miles) and make for a very competitive regional where any of the top three seeds can easily win that regional. This may be a fun one to watch.

Some might think LSU could be in Austin, but Austin is just over the 400 mile travel threshold preferred (bus vs. plane). Ruston is the only eligible site for LSU within that 400 mile threshold.

Brian

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information