Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 138

Thread: Worst Home schedule, EVER

  1. #91
    fanof71 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Rep Power
    48

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Some folks and companys just call it a sick day, but it could also be called a personal or annual day to use as needed.
    PTO baby...

  2. #92

    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by BBcajun View Post
    Bottom line is the football schedule sucks. Football is for Saturday afternoons. Blah blah blah with the TV exposure. The same people that are saying suck it up are the same that will be biitching the day after the weekday game that only 12K showed up. The rest of the people will be traveling home from work, taking little jr to soccer practice, dancing, cheerleading, basketball, etc. Football is for Saturdays. Period. Besides...taking a sick day when you are not sick is unethical.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just FYI, some companies allow their employees to take sick days because of an illness in the family. But I will make sure to tell my wife she was being unethical taking sick days to travel with my son on his clinical visits because she ran out of vacation days. LMAO!!!!!

  3. #93

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just FYI, some companies allow their employees to take sick days because of an illness in the family. But I will make sure to tell my wife she was being unethical taking sick days to travel with my son on his clinical visits because she ran out of vacation days. LMAO!!!!!
    Driving your son to his clinical visit it quite a bit different than calling in sick to attend a football game. C'mon CajunT....you can do better than that.

  4. #94

    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by BBcajun View Post
    Driving your son to his clinical visit it quite a bit different than calling in sick to attend a football game. C'mon CajunT....you can do better than that.
    That's one example, but some companies do allow their employees to use the allowed sick days for personal days. It's another form of compensation. I'm pretty sure you are aware of that fact.

  5. #95

    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I remember that game well Rick. I had family from Lake Charles that never let me forget about it either. I was 13 at the time, but I had to listen to their crap for a number of years.
    It was a heartbreaker! For both teams.

  6. #96

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I get the frustration. I really do.

    Shoot, I remember the first time we were on national TV. Cajun fans nearly had an orgasm over the fact. Now we have six and we're complaining.

    But guys, the chance to show your product to as many as 110 million households on FOX and 80-100 on ESPN/2/U can do nothing but bolster recruiting. That keeps us with a program that gets talked about EVERY season.

    Attendance at these games is crucial. I get you can't tailgate as long on weeknight games, but you still have an outstanding team to support.

    I guess what I'm trying to say is, there is a big picture here that is much bigger than your chance to tailgate. This program needs you more than ever before. I'm a season ticket holder and an RCAF member. I'm also a member of the diamond club. I'm getting ready to increase my RCAF donation and buy four more season tickets that I don't need (but I'll be blessing some people for each home game). Increasing revenue is paramount for this program.

    "Too many people sit down when it's time to stand up."--Tony Robichaux.

    Don't SIT in front of your television. STAND with the rest of the fans and yell like hell for your team.

    The future depends on you.
    EXACTLY. Sit with me where the national audience can see you.

  7. #97

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I'll be living 10-1/2 hour drive from Lafayette this season. I plan on making all 6 home games and the game in Austin. I'll have to fly in for the week day games, risking life and limb along the way.

    FYI, I'm in the top 200 of RCAF, and give annually to the Suit'em-Up program that provides tailored suits for the players. I have 4 season tickets. Also have season tickets for Basketball, Baseball and Softball. I'm all in and now is the time for Ragin Cajun fans to be all in too.

    Dr. Maggard, Coach Napier & staff and the players have done their part...now it's time for us fans to do our part. Yeah, 3 weeknight games is ____ty, but that's part of being successful and being in this conference. If you want to improve our chances of moving into a better conference, it's on us now. THIS IS OUR SHOT! Will you be part of it or will you stay home and complain about playing week night games?

    So while I'm on the proverbial soapbox, I just want to give you some insight into the first time we had a televised home game on ESPN. It was the season of 77', our last game of the year, and we were playing the boys from Lake Charles. We actually waited an extra week to play this game to get on ESPN. Well, I'll tell you this, the only time I was colder in a football game was when we lost to N'western in Natchitoches in 76. That game was played on their low-pile carpet, in freezing rain and they had Sidney Thornton at RB. We lost 7 to 3.

    Back to the game with McNeese, it was dry, but the wind was howling. I don't know what the temperature was, but I tell you this, when we came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half, we had our rain coats on and we were wearing socks for gloves! No ____! The game ended in a tie, 9-9. It was our second tie game of the season, also tied LaNeck 21-21. In the McNeese game, John Roveto kicked 3 FG's. He went to the NFL (Chicago) for a couple of seasons, but ended up hurting his knee in a freak accident and that was the end of his kicking career. BTW, the Cowboys were behind 9-3 with just a few mins left in the game. They changed QB's from T. McFarland to Jimmy Morvant. The change in QB's worked to perfection with JM throwing pass after pass moving the chains to the eventual TD at the very end of the game. But their kicker, missed the PAT. I met up with JM at Vieux Chenes a few years ago. He remembered me better than I remembered him. In any case, I hadn't seen him since that game in 77' and we had some time to catch up. He played at Crowley HS and I was at Rayne HS, so we played each other regularly. I went on and on about how well he was throwing the nut on that last drive....telling him how well he was spinning the ball. He told, well I had a thumbtack taped to my index finger. It was filed down, just enough to dig into the cowhide. I couldn't believe it. Part of me said, CHEATER and the other part said that was damn smart of them. For some reason back then, we played with new balls for games and they had a waxy surface. Hard to grip in wet or cold conditions. I was amazed. To throw the ball well in high wind, you have spin it to spiral it. They had a competitive advantage! Well that's a little history that some of you may find interesting.

    Please go to the games and support this fine ass program we currently have. We've waited a long time to be in this position and now is not the time to back away. Complain away, no problem doing that because it is ____ty to have 3 mid week games, but we need support now more than ever and there may not be another opportunity.
    DAMN, RIGHT! I remember both those games. Iíve waited a lifetime for a team like this. I wonít miss a freaking minute of this season. Thank you Coach Napier and everyone associated with this program.

  8. #98

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    EXACTLY. Sit with me where the national audience can see you.
    Honestly it does not matter anymore if you are on ESPN 1 2 or espn 3 the games pop up the same on the app. I only know 1 person 35 and under who still has cable.

    If we were on ABC or Fox that's a completely different story being on Network TV

  9. #99

    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Well said Slick. I remember that game at Northwestern in 76 and Sydney Thornton. Thornton was from Baton Rouge (Capital High school). I played against him in Jr. High, High School and college. He was a beast and it was like trying to tackle a bowling ball. He went on to play for the Steelers for a few years. I went and found him after that game and told him I was glad I was through trying to tackle his ass.


  10. #100

    Rep Power
    37

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    It is really fun hearing all of these old experiences. Keep them coming.

    CajunVic

  11. #101

    Rep Power
    41

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by dg71 View Post
    Well said Slick. I remember that game at Northwestern in 76 and Sydney Thornton. Thornton was from Baton Rouge (Capital High school). I played against him in Jr. High, High School and college. He was a beast and it was like trying to tackle a bowling ball. He went on to play for the Steelers for a few years. I went and found him after that game and told him I was glad I was through trying to tackle his ass.
    I think his nickname was Thunder Thornton. He had a reputation for knocking DB's out of games with his legs/knees....you had to tackle him low to bring him down and if the timing was right, he would bring his leg/knee up into the DB's helmet. 5'11" 230 lbs, a real bad ass! He was drafted in the 2nd round by the Steelers and played 6 seasons (77'-82').

  12. #102
    ULGrad@HOU is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Rep Power
    54

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    It seems we have 2 separate issues concerning the home schedule.

    One is the opponent. It's not just this year, but it's the future as well. I don't understand why we can't get quality out of conference match ups. I'm sure money plays a roll on the single games, but with the 1 and 1 type, why can't we get better opponents, others seem to be able to. This is an area that Dr. Maggard really needs to concentrate on improving.

    The other is the TV games. I am more understanding of this. We are a desirable team for ESPN, this is what we want, this is the direction we (I know I do) want our program to keep progressing. You can't put a price on national exposure. I know many of you think it's useless, but if a team is good and talked about, people will check it out to see why, even if it's for a quarter or two. This in turn raises the exposure to the UL brand. We have made great progress in this area, and we are mentioned often on the national scene. This isn't by chance, this is because of our performance and exposure in the past few years, even on those odd weeknight games.


  13. #103

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Because Monroe is not a threat to beat them.

    UL is.

    I DON'T TAKE CRAP FROM NOBODY......UNLESS IT'S POO-POO!

  14. #104

    Rep Power
    60

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    It seems we have 2 separate issues concerning the home schedule.

    One is the opponent. It's not just this year, but it's the future as well. I don't understand why we can't get quality out of conference match ups. I'm sure money plays a roll on the single games, but with the 1 and 1 type, why can't we get better opponents, others seem to be able to. This is an area that Dr. Maggard really needs to concentrate on improving.

    The other is the TV games. I am more understanding of this. We are a desirable team for ESPN, this is what we want, this is the direction we (I know I do) want our program to keep progressing. You can't put a price on national exposure. I know many of you think it's useless, but if a team is good and talked about, people will check it out to see why, even if it's for a quarter or two. This in turn raises the exposure to the UL brand. We have made great progress in this area, and we are mentioned often on the national scene. This isn't by chance, this is because of our performance and exposure in the past few years, even on those odd weeknight games.
    I've raised this questions myself, and you probably won't like their answer. When you say quality out of conference games, let's be specific. We are talking about home games correct, because Texas, Michigan State, Alabama and Iowa St. are quality out of conference games.

    When I asked about home games, the answer is they don't want to come to Lafayette to play Billy Napier. Not Southern Miss, East Carolina, Tulane, Louisiana Tech, UAB or any other good G5 program within reasonable mileage. It seems AAC members want 2 for 1 if they are willing to play. I don't have specifics on those programs.

    Maggard has scheduled Tulsa, Rice, Liberty and is currently working on others. I'm not happy watching Nichols and Mcneese come to town, but because they are state programs you will continue to see us play one FCS per year at home.

    I understand that others in our conference have brought in some good opponents, but are we really asking why Baylor and others on willing to play ULM, Texas State and South Alabama on the road? They stink!

  15. #105
    ULGrad@HOU is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

    Rep Power
    54

    Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

    Let's take Boise for instance, one of the better ones and yes they are years ahead of us but we are gaining on them. I'm sure teams going to Boise don't care if Boise is a threat. I think it's because they have a brand that is nationally known, and teams see a value in going there.

    Home ooc games:

    2021 Oklahoma St.
    2022 Michigan St., BYU
    2023 Oregon St., UCF
    2024 Houston
    2025 Oregon, BYU
    2028 Cincinnati


Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Home Basketball Schedule
    By CajunGrad16 in forum Just Ragin
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: August 17th, 2018, 04:41 pm
  2. Cajuns Close Out Home Schedule
    By NewsCopy in forum Just Ragin
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 12th, 2010, 10:40 pm
  3. Someone talk to me about the home schedule...
    By anhil8tor in forum Just Ragin
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: September 9th, 2008, 01:46 pm
  4. UL hoops: Home schedule toughened some more
    By NewsCopy in forum Just Ragin
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 15th, 2006, 08:54 am
  5. SBC Home FB Schedule-Not good
    By Cajun1997 in forum Conference Matters
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 7th, 2003, 03:51 am

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •