Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst Home schedule, EVER

1. Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    My thoughts exactly ! NFL will kill our ratings vs a bottom feeder in the MAC
    The NFL? I thought they got broke or sumtinn...they still playin'?

Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    I get the frustration. I really do.

Shoot, I remember the first time we were on national TV. Cajun fans nearly had an orgasm over the fact. Now we have six and we're complaining.

But guys, the chance to show your product to as many as 110 million households on FOX and 80-100 on ESPN/2/U can do nothing but bolster recruiting. That keeps us with a program that gets talked about EVERY season.

Attendance at these games is crucial. I get you can't tailgate as long on weeknight games, but you still have an outstanding team to support.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there is a big picture here that is much bigger than your chance to tailgate. This program needs you more than ever before. I'm a season ticket holder and an RCAF member. I'm also a member of the diamond club. I'm getting ready to increase my RCAF donation and buy four more season tickets that I don't need (but I'll be blessing some people for each home game). Increasing revenue is paramount for this program.

"Too many people sit down when it's time to stand up."--Tony Robichaux.

Don't SIT in front of your television. STAND with the rest of the fans and yell like hell for your team.

The future depends on you.
    I agree with everything you stated Jay! I too have increased my RCAF contribution and plan on being in attendance for every game, regardless of the day of the week.

You know that our group has tailgated for many years and we enjoyed doing so very much. However, attending the football game should be, and has always been the primary reason for going to Cajun Field on gameday. I too would prefer Saturday games, but not at the expense of giving up the benefits that the increased exposure has given the University and our sports programs.

Everyone wants the stature and reputation of our University and sports teams to continue to rise, but not enough of us are willing to make the few small sacrifices that we can do to help achieve those goals. Every Athletic Director that we have had has told us time-after-time that the best thing we can do to help get UL to where we all want to be is to BUY SEASON TICKETS and GO To THE GAMES!!!

We as fans only have one or two things to do, LET'S DO THEM!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Obviously the ESPN money does NOT offset the loss of game day attendance. The MAC is slowly headed to FCS football or less in a decade or so. Their football programs are money pits. They have not built a fan base, conceded it to ESPN. They're shrivling up on the vine. Makes you think for a second this is the master P5 plan. One less conference in the class action RICO or whatever suit that will come against the NCAA/BCS or whomever.

ULM has all Saturday games except ours the Friday of Thanksgiving. If being on television is so great and Bowden is the all mighty savior of ULM football, why are they not on to watch the magic of the RR offense? Build up home crowds? Kind of hypocritical eh?

It could be worse...we could be in CUSA. Shows to be careful what you wish for.

This isn't Maggard's doing. But it is his to figure out...fast.
    Regarding the reasoning for so many ULM saturday games, my jeopardy answer would be, "Who is the team that nobody wants to see them on any media broadcast?".

I'll be living 10-1/2 hour drive from Lafayette this season. I plan on making all 6 home games and the game in Austin. I'll have to fly in for the week day games, risking life and limb along the way.

FYI, I'm in the top 200 of RCAF, and give annually to the Suit'em-Up program that provides tailored suits for the players. I have 4 season tickets. Also have season tickets for Basketball, Baseball and Softball. I'm all in and now is the time for Ragin Cajun fans to be all in too.

Dr. Maggard, Coach Napier & staff and the players have done their part...now it's time for us fans to do our part. Yeah, 3 weeknight games is ____ty, but that's part of being successful and being in this conference. If you want to improve our chances of moving into a better conference, it's on us now. THIS IS OUR SHOT! Will you be part of it or will you stay home and complain about playing week night games?

So while I'm on the proverbial soapbox, I just want to give you some insight into the first time we had a televised home game on ESPN. It was the season of 77', our last game of the year, and we were playing the boys from Lake Charles. We actually waited an extra week to play this game to get on ESPN. Well, I'll tell you this, the only time I was colder in a football game was when we lost to N'western in Natchitoches in 76. That game was played on their low-pile carpet, in freezing rain and they had Sidney Thornton at RB. We lost 7 to 3.

Back to the game with McNeese, it was dry, but the wind was howling. I don't know what the temperature was, but I tell you this, when we came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half, we had our rain coats on and we were wearing socks for gloves! No ____! The game ended in a tie, 9-9. It was our second tie game of the season, also tied LaNeck 21-21. In the McNeese game, John Roveto kicked 3 FG's. He went to the NFL (Chicago) for a couple of seasons, but ended up hurting his knee in a freak accident and that was the end of his kicking career. BTW, the Cowboys were behind 9-3 with just a few mins left in the game. They changed QB's from T. McFarland to Jimmy Morvant. The change in QB's worked to perfection with JM throwing pass after pass moving the chains to the eventual TD at the very end of the game. But their kicker, missed the PAT. I met up with JM at Vieux Chenes a few years ago. He remembered me better than I remembered him. In any case, I hadn't seen him since that game in 77' and we had some time to catch up. He played at Crowley HS and I was at Rayne HS, so we played each other regularly. I went on and on about how well he was throwing the nut on that last drive....telling him how well he was spinning the ball. He told, well I had a thumbtack taped to my index finger. It was filed down, just enough to dig into the cowhide. I couldn't believe it. Part of me said, CHEATER and the other part said that was damn smart of them. For some reason back then, we played with new balls for games and they had a waxy surface. Hard to grip in wet or cold conditions. I was amazed. To throw the ball well in high wind, you have spin it to spiral it. They had a competitive advantage! Well that's a little history that some of you may find interesting.

Please go to the games and support this fine ass program we currently have. We've waited a long time to be in this position and now is not the time to back away. Complain away, no problem doing that because it is ____ty to have 3 mid week games, but we need support now more than ever and there may not be another opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    You've got 3 months to plan trips for the weekday games. Clear a few hours the day of the game and the next morning with your boss and stay the night for those who have to travel. Hell, use a sick day, you'll probably too hung over to drive home too early. So, you can't have a huge tailgate. Grab some poboys and a six pack and hang out before gametime. It ain't that tough to do...
    When I lived out of town, I would take half day vacation for big Thursday night basketball games. Fortunately, I had a 9/80 schedule and was off for many Fridays. Occasionally, I would take off the afternoon of a weeknight game and the morning of the day after. Hope current out of towners consider that option.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    I'll be living 10-1/2 hour drive from Lafayette this season. I plan on making all 6 home games and the game in Austin. I'll have to fly in for the week day games, risking life and limb along the way.

FYI, I'm in the top 200 of RCAF, and give annually to the Suit'em-Up program that provides tailored suits for the players. I have 4 season tickets. Also have season tickets for Basketball, Baseball and Softball. I'm all in and now is the time for Ragin Cajun fans to be all in too.

Dr. Maggard, Coach Napier & staff and the players have done their part...now it's time for us fans to do our part. Yeah, 3 weeknight games is ____ty, but that's part of being successful and being in this conference. If you want to improve our chances of moving into a better conference, it's on us now. THIS IS OUR SHOT! Will you be part of it or will you stay home and complain about playing week night games?

So while I'm on the proverbial soapbox, I just want to give you some insight into the first time we had a televised home game on ESPN. It was the season of 77', our last game of the year, and we were playing the boys from Lake Charles. We actually waited an extra week to play this game to get on ESPN. Well, I'll tell you this, the only time I was colder in a football game was when we lost to N'western in Natchitoches in 76. That game was played on their low-pile carpet, in freezing rain and they had Sidney Thornton at RB. We lost 7 to 3.

Back to the game with McNeese, it was dry, but the wind was howling. I don't know what the temperature was, but I tell you this, when we came out of the tunnel for the 2nd half, we had our rain coats on and we were wearing socks for gloves! No ____! The game ended in a tie, 9-9. It was our second tie game of the season, also tied LaNeck 21-21. In the McNeese game, John Roveto kicked 3 FG's. He went to the NFL (Chicago) for a couple of seasons, but ended up hurting his knee in a freak accident and that was the end of his kicking career. BTW, the Cowboys were behind 9-3 with just a few mins left in the game. They changed QB's from T. McFarland to Jimmy Morvant. The change in QB's worked to perfection with JM throwing pass after pass moving the chains to the eventual TD at the very end of the game. But their kicker, missed the PAT. I met up with JM at Vieux Chenes a few years ago. He remembered me better than I remembered him. In any case, I hadn't seen him since that game in 77' and we had some time to catch up. He played at Crowley HS and I was at Rayne HS, so we played each other regularly. I went on and on about how well he was throwing the nut on that last drive....telling him how well he was spinning the ball. He told, well I had a thumbtack taped to my index finger. It was filed down, just enough to dig into the cowhide. I couldn't believe it. Part of me said, CHEATER and the other part said that was damn smart of them. For some reason back then, we played with new balls for games and they had a waxy surface. Hard to grip in wet or cold conditions. I was amazed. To throw the ball well in high wind, you have spin it to spiral it. They had a competitive advantage! Well that's a little history that some of you may find interesting.

Please go to the games and support this fine ass program we currently have. We've waited a long time to be in this position and now is not the time to back away. Complain away, no problem doing that because it is ____ty to have 3 mid week games, but we need support now more than ever and there may not be another opportunity.
    I remember that game well Rick. I had family from Lake Charles that never let me forget about it either. I was 13 at the time, but I had to listen to their crap for a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post

Rick, I remember that game in 1976 at Northwestern in Natchitoches. I agree with you that it is the coldest game I have ever been at. I remember Blackjack, Bill C. and I built a fire in a 55 gallon drum on the sidelines just to try to get some heat on the sidelines. After the game, we noticed the hot drum had burnt ring on their new turf! We also ran out of towels trying to keep the footballs dry. To make matters worse, we went into the game 8-0 and suffered our first loss of the season. What a miserable game.
    I think all of you players were still defrosting when it came time to play the McNeese game!!! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Rick, I remember that game in 1976 at Northwestern in Natchitoches. I agree with you that it is the coldest game I have ever been at. I remember Blackjack, Bill C. and I built a fire in a 55 gallon drum on the sidelines just to try to get some heat on the sidelines. After the game, we noticed the hot drum had burnt ring on their new turf! We also ran out of towels trying to keep the footballs dry. To make matters worse, we went into the game 8-0 and suffered our first loss of the season. What a miserable game.
    I think all of you players were still defrosting when it came time to play the McNeese game!!! LOL!!!!
    Yes, I remember the fire in the drum! What a deal! That football was frozen and heavy as a watermelon. Yep, and we lost to McNeese the next game by one point, missed PAT by Raphael.

Those two years were two really special football teams. Just amazing games.

I think it is a terrible schedule no matter what day of the week you're playing on. I don't think that many fans will tune in to watch us play these teams but it is what it is. My question is if you look at some of the other conference mates home schedules and future schedule they have quality (name) schools visiting why can't we. Heck we can't even get regional teams to come to UL why is that. Personally and I have nothing to do with the schedule just a fan I'd rather go on the road and make money rather than play some of these games at home that would probably lose us money unless the TV contract is just that good. JMO

11. Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

The MAC was an early adopter of weeknight games. They almost created the niche.

At the time weeknight games really were an exposure asset.

Today at best, weeknight games might make outsiders aware of your existence.

Unfortunately they definitely make existing game attending fans forget you.

12. Default Re: Worst Home schedule, EVER

I will tell you who is happy about Tuesday/Wednesday night games and even to some extent Thursday and that is the business traveler. Pre Covid, I was on the road quite a bit, and I will tell you for those of us that were living in hotel rooms and/or hotel bars, the fall college football Tuesday and Wednesday night games were the only things I was watching and I didn't care if it was MAC or SBC, I watched them all.

Bottom line is the football schedule sucks. Football is for Saturday afternoons. Blah blah blah with the TV exposure. The same people that are saying suck it up are the same that will be biitching the day after the weekday game that only 12K showed up. The rest of the people will be traveling home from work, taking little jr to soccer practice, dancing, cheerleading, basketball, etc. Football is for Saturdays. Period. Besides...taking a sick day when you are not sick is unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by BBcajun View Post
    Bottom line is the football schedule sucks. Football is for Saturday afternoons. Blah blah blah with the TV exposure. The same people that are saying suck it up are the same that will be biitching the day after the weekday game that only 12K showed up. The rest of the people will be traveling home from work, taking little jr to soccer practice, dancing, cheerleading, basketball, etc. Football is for Saturdays. Period. Besides...taking a sick day when you are not sick is unethical.
    Some folks and companys just call it a sick day, but it could also be called a personal or annual day to use as needed.

In the Sunbelt the Cajuns have the worst future OC home schedule even Monroe has decent named schools going there to play them once again Why can't we get decent OC home games. We can't blame money we have more than Monroe.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information