Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 SB and beyond.

UL Softball 2022 SB and beyond.

Well now that the 2021 season has come to an end it is never to early to plant the seed for next year team. I can promise you guys that Coach Glasco will already be planning for next years team as soon as tomorrow and in my mind he already started that before today. The elephant in the room that everybody likes to discuss but never wants to bring to the table is do the Cajuns build internally(high school) or keep up the high profile transfer route? It is almost automatic that the Cajuns will be in a regional every year as a 2 or 3 seed anyway, which doesn't matter because they play each other in the first round. With that being said I think the Cajuns need to be building a tournament team every year and it starts with needing two elite pitchers.

In my mind these are the three ways the Cajuns can go for the future:

1. Building yearly teams instead of programs which might be here to stay in college softball for mid majors whether you like it or not? As of now there is 650 kids in the portal and it is about to explode between now and fall ball.

Or

2.Build internal with high school kids and sprinkle in a need or needs with a few transfers.

Or

3. An even mixture of both. If 3 is your choice what is the correct mixture?

Which route should the Cajuns go for the future and beyond? All choices have pro's and con's. This should be a real interesting thread. Comment away.

Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

How about a mix of both. using the portal on young transfers. whats the difference between us getting a high school kid or a freshman. you get a min of 3 years to build a program and the transfer cant move again without sitting out. In the end the best way is dictated by how good of a development program you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    How about a mix of both. using the portal on young transfers. whats the difference between us getting a high school kid or a freshman. you get a min of 3 years to build a program and the transfer cant move again without sitting out. In the end the best way is dictated by how good of a development program you have.
    So how many transfers do you pick up yearly to not upset the current crop of incoming players you have coming in? Keep in mind most transfers aren't coming in to ride the bench, more times than not they will start or at least log major playing time. Also if you redshirt freshman you risk them transfering out. I am just playing a little devils advocate with you. Not agreeing or disagreeing with you at this time. In due time I will give my 2 cents.

This is not an either/or discussion, it can be both. Quality pitching depth is a top priority. To have consistency, I think you need a core of HS players and sprinkle in transfers.

I think getting a reputation as a transfer coach will eventually cost you in HS recruiting.

Well. It's all about pitching. The two teams with the best chance of winning the World Series this year, in my opinion, are UCLA because of Rachel Garcia and Alabama, because of Montana Foutz. Kendra Lamb is not on that level, yet. After what I saw this weekend, if she can increase the speed on her riseball to 70 and really develop her off speed pitch even better, she can be in that class. That's how much I believe in her.

And, remember, Glasco has four pitchers coming in next year and two red shirt pitchers on the roster. Hopefully, one or two will break out. All you need is two. Having three is a bonus.

Gerry mentioned in an interview recently that he'd like to develop more high school talent.

The program certainly does have the label of being a transfer U, but honestly it's not not worked for them. They've made it to the regional final in each of Gerry's 3 complete years. They were in a golden position to host in 2020.

The Lotief's were great at developing players then they'd add a transfer in there and it would help tremendously.

You love to have 3-4 year players, but sometimes a few transfers will get you very far. Marlin had a great team in 2018, but it was a flash in the pan. No sustained success after that.

I say more of a base of the young players then plug in a transfer or 2 when you see that they can have a major impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    This is not an either/or discussion, it can be both. Quality pitching depth is a top priority. To have consistency, I think you need a core of HS players and sprinkle in transfers.

I think getting a reputation as a transfer coach will eventually cost you in HS recruiting.
    Well the 2021 class coming in is ranked 1st and the 2022 class maybe even better and should be ranked 1st. I doubt bringing in transfers will hurt recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Gerry mentioned in an interview recently that he'd like to develop more high school talent.

The program certainly does have the label of being a transfer U, but honestly it's not not worked for them. They've made it to the regional final in each of Gerry's 3 complete years. They were in a golden position to host in 2020.

The Lotief's were great at developing players then they'd add a transfer in there and it would help tremendously.

You love to have 3-4 year players, but sometimes a few transfers will get you very far. Marlin had a great team in 2018, but it was a flash in the pan. No sustained success after that.

I say more of a base of the young players then plug in a transfer or 2 when you see that they can have a major impact.
    With bigger schools having more money, etc is being transfer U the only way for a mid major to keep up? OK state pulls just as many transfers as UL and they have more success. So how does it work for them and as you say not so much for UL?

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post

What your number on sprinking in transfers? How many a year for you to say enough is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Well. It's all about pitching. The two teams with the best chance of winning the World Series this year, in my opinion, are UCLA because of Rachel Garcia and Alabama, because of Montana Foutz. Kendra Lamb is not on that level, yet. After what I saw this weekend, if she can increase the speed on her riseball to 70 and really develop her off speed pitch even better, she can be in that class. That's how much I believe in her.

And, remember, Glasco has four pitchers coming in next year and two red shirt pitchers on the roster. Hopefully, one or two will break out. All you need is two. Having three is a bonus.
    Roar what is your take on the original question? Keep bringing in transfers, develop high school kids or both. If your answer is both then what is the mix? I am asking as your one of the more respectful Cajun softball minds that I know. With what we have coming in if Hope from N. Texas wants to come here what would the Cajuns say?

Please link the list where it shows our recruiting class as ranked first!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by du42 View Post
    Please link the list where it shows our recruiting class as ranked first!!!!
    https://ragincajuns.com/news/2020/11...gning-day.aspx

None of these rankings are correct. They are way off.

We are not even in the top 25

Quote Originally Posted by du42 View Post
    None of these rankings are correct. They are way off.
    How can you say they are off?

https://espn1420.com/ul-softballs-up...ed-number-one/

https://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana...d2dfbb379.html

That was the extra-innings ranking.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information