Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 SB and beyond.

Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Give me 9 Sophie Piskos.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    She has elite stuff already. Her fastball is at 70, she changes speeds well and most of all she spots her pitches. Barbers Hill (Mt. Belvieu, Texas) is ranked #2 in the county. If everything pans out we will have 3 big time pitchers next year. The future looks bright and with kids like this the Cajuns may not be shopping the portal as much.

I like the thought of 3 big time pitchers. We need big time pitchers. I know they are not easy to come by, but great pitching will over ride sketchy fielding. The other thing we need is gorilla ball hitters. But pitching should be our #1 priority each and every year.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Slapping is what you do when your kids can't hit.
    Please tell that to Nerrisa Myers she could do both do you remember the Katie Smith hit to beat Kentucky in the regionals I could go on and on. We had slappers that could put it in the hole and get triples out of it just saying.

4. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Slapping is what you do when a player has extraordinary speed!

Keli Milligan was pretty effective for us leading off.

That leadoff batter for LSU (also wears #4) is a slapper and pretty darn effective. Went 5/11 vs. us in the three games last weekend.

6. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunref View Post
    Give me 9 Sophie Piskos.
    Man, I was really impressed that young lady. She came in and expected to Redshirt, she was forced into action and not only did she succeed but she was a big piece of the teams success. She also seems to have a huge motor, she was one pumped up young lady during the regionals. I am glad we have her for 3 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    From a coaches perspective, every player you bring in should be in competition to replace a current starter. As a player, bringing in other players shouldn't concern you, you should have the confidence that you can beat anyone out. Now I do see the politics where some current players may think the transfer is coming in to start and there is nothing they can do to stop that. But I dont think Glasco would promise anyone a job, go out there and compete.
    A plus post! This is probably something along the line of what I will post when I have time.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Didn’t miss any softball. Well aware of our slapping and singles. Our home runs and extra base hits have dropped in the last 4 years. What has gone up - total hits on the season.
    I have never heard Coach Glasco say he like small ball better, he has always liked kids that could but the ball in the gap and over the wall. At least that is what me, roarman, angeleast and others have been told.

Natalie Fernadez and Vallie Gaspard were good ones they could touch and go slap or power slap.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunref View Post
    Give me 9 Sophie Piskos.
    Yeah buddy! Kid hit .333 with limited season reps. She will hit .365 plus next season. This kid has the it factor and plays with her hair on fire. #Sophiedrinksoutthewaterhose

UL Softball Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

See how HR have gone down, but we've seen a slight increase in hits. Runs are down - so it equates to a lower-scoring team. As for the interview - i don't have the exact date and time - but i distinctly remember the comment. Not saying he doesn't like a timely HR, but isn't looking for the HR on every at bat.

Attached Images Attached Images  

12. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Generally speaking, you don't take transfers for transfer's sake.

The smart move is to take a transfer where you have an identified weakness.

You don't take a transfer where you already have a strength.

Wouldn't be prudent.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Generally speaking, you don't take transfers for transfer's sake.

The smart move is to take a transfer where you have an identified weakness.

You don't take a transfer where you already have a strength.

Wouldn't be prudent.

jmo
    I disagree with: you don't take if you already have a strength. If your good enough you will find the field. With Glasco if you can hit you will play on the field (may have to move positions)

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    When you started this thread you stated that you will give your opinion eventually. So, what’s the hold up? Why all of the back and forth to each poster who does share their opinions without your input?
    Well here is my take: I would be building yearly teams instead of programs which might be here to stay in college softball for mid majors whether you like it or not. To me that is the only way to keep up with the (free agent) game so to speak. P5 school will cherry pick kids like crazy. In a perfect world I would love to have zero transfers and develop every kid over the course of 4 to 5 years. Those days are gone. So we need to evolve. Glasco isn't promising anyone playing time, but he is promising them that they will be working hard when they enter the program as a incoming or transfer player.

If I was the coach: My job bottom line is to win. So I would create my roster with kids that I felt could help us win ball games regardless of where they come from or what position they play. Coach Candrea at Arizona always recruits athletes not 3rd baseman, 2nd baseman, etc. If you can play then you will play regardless of your position in the field. Coach Glasco has the same mentally as Coach Robe did, recruit the kid to take the place of your current starter. Competition is healthy. To stay competitive you absolutely have to get the best kids available regardless how you get them. With the emergence of the transfer portal in college, it's become an every day occurrence. There is a tremendous amount of pressure for college staff's to win and remain relevant. Coaches can be loyal to their athletes and still allow competition. By the way scholarships are granted year to year, and athletes must compete every year.

If I was a player on the current roster: It would not bother me personally any may even motivate me more, but I still would feel that my skill set, production and work ethic will be better than the current transfer coming in. Remember the cream always rises to the top.

If I was the player transferring in: I would think that I would be brought in to compete to not ride the bench and log major time or be a starter. However I wouldn't expect anything to be promised.

Supporters of the program: Most(not all) of the old timers still think we should recruit all Acadiana kids or just in state kids. Sorry to tell you guys we can't compete by doing that. The game has changed and the Cajuns will have to in order to keep up.

Just a couple of thoughts. First, using Cadrea as an example is not good. He hasn't won a championship in since forever and the game has pretty much passed him by.

Your last point about local fans wanting the team to be built with local players is correct. There's just not enough good ones to effectively build a championship team.

Oklahoma is the number one team in the nation. There's only one player from Oklahoma, much less Norman. Six of their starters are from California and two from Texas. You don't see their fans complaining about their players not being home grown.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information