Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2022 SB and beyond.

Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

The more that I thought about post 93 I might add that if I was the coach I would also never red shirt a kid unless they were injured. In this day and age you never know from year to year anyway who will stay or leave so you might as well play them as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    The more that I thought about post 93 I might add that if I was the coach I would also never red shirt a kid unless they were injured. In this day and age you never know from year to year anyway who will stay or leave so you might as well play them as needed.
    Let me understand the red shirt rule.

First, won't there be more players on the team than are allowed to be on the official roster? Won't that necessitate some players being red shirted?

Second, can't you plan for someone to be redshirted so you don't play them unless necessary? Isn't that what happened this year with Sand and Piskos?

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Let me understand the red shirt rule.

First, won't there be more players on the team than are allowed to be on the official roster? Won't that necessitate some players being red shirted?

Second, can't you plan for someone to be redshirted so you don't play them unless necessary? Isn't that what happened this year with Sand and Piskos?
    Yes that is always the case for question 1. What I am saying is what happens if you plan on redshirting a kid and you don't have to use them, then you plan on playing them the following season and they transfer out and you never got to use them when they could have added a little value to your team. As a coach you have to be scared to red shirt kids when you dont know if they will leave or not the following year because you didn't play them. I guess what I am saying is play the kid and never redshirt them because you truly never know how your team will look or who will even be part of your team the next year.

Not sure how many of you guy read the newspaper today but Tim Buckley said Coach Glasco is likely to load up on transfers for 2022. With all the incoming freshman coming in it should get real interesting soon. Stay tuned is all I can say.

Not sure how many of you guy read the newspaper today but Tim Buckley said Coach Glasco is likely to load up on transfers for 2022. With all the incoming freshman coming in it should get real interesting soon. Stay tuned is all I can say.
    I don't read the daily, it's pretty much garbage. But from what I've heard, and grant it I'm not a major insider on Softball, is that Coach Glasco will be much more selective on transfers for 2022. Tim Buckley has been known to go with speculation, more so than actual inside information.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I don't read the daily, it's pretty much garbage. But from what I've heard, and grant it I'm not a major insider on Softball, is that Coach Glasco will be much more selective on transfers for 2022. Tim Buckley has been known to go with speculation, more so than actual inside information.
    Well todays article said that they needed to find out if Sands was the shortstop of the future and she has been gone since Monday and todays Thursday. So that should tell you how garbage there reporting and paper is. Also he said LIKELY which could mean he really don't know. I will say this we have 2 confirmed transfers coming in and that number will not stay at 2.

7. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Yes that is always the case for question 1. What I am saying is what happens if you plan on redshirting a kid and you don't have to use them, then you plan on playing them the following season and they transfer out and you never got to use them when they could have add a little value to your team. As a coach you have to be scared to red shirt kids when you dont know if they will leave or not the following year because you didn't play them. I guess what I am saying is play the kid and never redshirt them because you truly never know how your team will look or who will even be part of your team the next year.
    Does the "redshirt" belong to the team or does it belong to the player?

Well todays article said that they needed to find out if Sands was the shortstop of the future and she has been gone since Monday and todays Thursday. So that should tell you how garbage there reporting and paper is. Also he said LIKELY which could mean he really don't know. I will say this we have 2 confirmed transfers coming in and that number will not stay at 2.
    Agree!

Yes that is always the case for question 1. What I am saying is what happens if you plan on redshirting a kid and you don't have to use them, then you plan on playing them the following season and they transfer out and you never got to use them when they could have added a little value to your team. As a coach you have to be scared to red shirt kids when you dont know if they will leave or not the following year because you didn't play them. I guess what I am saying is play the kid and never redshirt them because you truly never know how your team will look or who will even be part of your team the next year.
    So, my theory, which may be coinciding with yours, is to put the best players on the team, taking into account needed depth, then redshirt the remainder. If that happens to be a freshman so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    So, my theory, which may be coinciding with yours, is to put the best players on the team, taking into account needed depth, then redshirt the remainder. If that happens to be a freshman so be it.
    The problem with that is kids think they should be playing and you redshirt them, thinking you have them for four years and end up not having them for any years. If you some what play them then they may wait there turn to play, if you dont play them they get ____ed and leave and you end up using scholarship money on them and get no roi. Just my theory on it. Maybe T can say what he would do.

The problem with that is kids think they should be playing and you redshirt them, thinking you have them for four years and end up not having them for any years. If you some what play them then they may wait there turn to play, if you dont play them they get ____ed and leave and you end up using scholarship money on them and get no roi. Just my theory on it. Maybe T can say what he would do.
    My take is the transfer portal has changed college sports significantly going forward. And now that athletes no longer have to sit out a full year, freshmen will no longer want to wait and earn playing time. But the mission is the same for coaches, balance what is the right thing to do for the athlete with winning the right way. Sometimes that means injuries ,or attrition may dictate which freshmen play because of position and not necessarily the most talented. That is why I like the idea of recruiting more multi-position athletes, they call them utility players in softball and baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    My take is the transfer portal has changed college sports significantly going forward. And now that athletes no longer have to sit out a full year, freshmen will no longer want to wait and earn playing time. But the mission is the same for coaches, balance what is the right thing to do for the athlete with winning the right way. Sometimes that means injuries ,or attrition may dictate which freshmen play because of position and not necessarily the most talented. That is why I like the idea of recruiting more multi-position athletes, they call them utility players in softball and baseball.
    If you were the head softball coach at UL would you be scared to redshirt kids for fear of them leaving after the season?

I actually like the way this thread is maturing.

14. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

While this is an article on football, it presents many of the issues associated with the portal.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/02/0...r-portal-covid

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    I actually like the way this thread is maturing.
    Staying somewhat on topic is key along with keeping trolls away.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information