Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: 2022 SB and beyond.

Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Generally speaking, you don't take transfers for transfer's sake.

The smart move is to take a transfer where you have an identified weakness.

You don't take a transfer where you already have a strength.

Wouldn't be prudent.

jmo
    There are a number of reasons to take transfers, the most important one is making your program better. You may have a position that is strong, but suffered injuries during the offseason and you are not certain when the athlete or athletes will return. You may also take a transfer because another athlete has decided to leave for personal reasons and you need depth at that position. You may also take a transfer because the athlete is just flat out better and more experienced than what you have on your current roster.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts. First, using Cadrea as an example is not good. He hasn't won a championship in since forever and the game has pretty much passed him by.

Your last point about local fans wanting the team to be built with local players is correct. There's just not enough good ones to effectively build a championship team.

Oklahoma is the number one team in the nation. There's only one player from Oklahoma, much less Norman. Six of their starters are from California and two from Texas. You don't see their fans complaining about their players not being home grown.
    Heard this for so many years about local HS football players. If the athlete is only getting recruited by state programs, how does that help your program build towards becoming a regional or national power? It's people that have no vision, or goals for the program outside of being able to have in state bragging rights.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    7 kids from texas tech just entered the portal! Soon the ncaa will allow teams to trade players!
    I know basketball would not be the only sport to have this occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    Please tell that to Nerrisa Myers she could do both do you remember the Katie Smith hit to beat Kentucky in the regionals I could go on and on. We had slappers that could put it in the hole and get triples out of it just saying.
    Nerrisa Myers was an outstanding HS athlete. As she became stronger, she could do it all physically including hit for power. That's why she played pro ball. The movement in college ball is to more athletic kids that can run, play defense and develop some power as they mature. Kids that are big and not athletic can help you if they have a great bat, but they give you very little game and roster versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Nerrisa Myers was an outstanding HS athlete. As she became stronger, she could do it all physically including hit for power. That's why she played pro ball. The movement in college ball is to more athletic kids that can run, play defense and develop some power as they mature. Kids that are big and not athletic can help you if they have a great bat, but they give you very little game and roster versatility.
    Agree T....the softball players of today are overall, more athletically gifted than what we saw just 6-7 years ago. Least that's what my eyes are telling me.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Agree T....the softball players of today are overall, more athletically gifted than what we saw just 6-7 years ago. Least that's what my eyes are telling me.
    Christie Orgeron and Nerrisa Myers are the two best athletes I've seen in the program over the past decade. O'Neil and Bryant are also outstanding athletes. You are seeing the power programs recruit more players like them today.

7. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

A team that acquires all "athletes" will end up with so many moving parts they never get out of regionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I know basketball would not be the only sport to have this occur.
    Maybe there's a Lexie Elkins or Raina O'Neil in that bunch of seven.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts. First, using Cadrea as an example is not good. He hasn't won a championship in since forever and the game has pretty much passed him by.

Your last point about local fans wanting the team to be built with local players is correct. There's just not enough good ones to effectively build a championship team.

Oklahoma is the number one team in the nation. There's only one player from Oklahoma, much less Norman. Six of their starters are from California and two from Texas. You don't see their fans complaining about their players not being home grown.
    Candrea to me is the goat. Maybe the game has passed him by but he is in the supers this year and has a good shot at getting to the wcws.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Bigger, faster, stronger is the name of the game. Everyone on a roster can hit the ball out the yard. At one time only 2 out of 15 could. Remember the days of 2 to 1 games? If you had a runner at first with 1 out you still sacrificed another out to get the runner to 2nd and took your one shot to drive the runner in. Now 5 and 6 runs leads aren't safe anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Well sure, they may EXPECT a certain scenario, but then reality becomes different.

Look at that QB who transferred here from Maryland. Lots of people were excited and thought he was going to come here and be the next Cajuns starting QB. Levi Lewis had other plans, and now that QB is gone. Can't remember his name off the bat.
    Lance Legendre? Why did he leave? Can he pitch, lol?

Whew lots to digest here. I personally don’t put all that much stock in the rankings of a recruiting class, at least not the way you can in football. It is definitely improving as a metric in softball but it still has a ways to go. But that’s just me.

As for the transfers. Evolve or die. The transfer portal is here & it is changing the landscape of softball, like it or not. Most of the top programs have or have had transfers come in and make immediate MAJOR impact on the success of that program. OU currently has 3 transfers in their starting line up: Juarez, Snow, & Johns. Echols & Lindaman carry a brunt of the Florida offense. Arnold in the circle for FSU now & they also don’t win the natty in 2018 without Hansen. 2 years ago Bama doesn’t win the SEC without the arms of Cornell & Goodman to pick up the slack when Fouts was hurt. Arkansas has Burnside & Gibson jacking homers all day. Kenny G has made OSU a contender with transfers like Show, Eberle, & Busby. Texas lol. I could continue but I gotta stop procrastinating work. I think you only hurt your program if you aren’t willing to challenge your current roster by adding talent when it’s available to make your ball club its most competitive. Transfers are such a viable & enticing option because you have a better idea of how that athlete competes at the D1 level. Sometimes great TB players don’t develop beyond the level you recruited them at. I think Glasco plans to rely less on transfers in the future. But if a talented player wants to come to Louisiana to play for our team, why wouldn’t you want them there? I want to win as long as we do it with integrity & class, if we have a few transfers that help us get a Natty, then lets GEAUX!

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Slapping is what you do when your kids can't hit.
    haha Kayla Kowalik, Michelle Moultrie, Haylie McCleney, Natasha Watley & friends said they would like to have a conversation with ya!! If your assessment was true, slappers would be eliminated by shifts & pulling players in when they come up to bat. Often, slappers have a knack for being able to slap & hit gap to gap which is why they are effective because you can’t just play in on them every time.

Quote Originally Posted by mun_RaginCajuns View Post
    Whew lots to digest here. I personally don’t put all that much stock in the rankings of a recruiting class, at least not the way you can in football. It is definitely improving as a metric in softball but it still has a ways to go. But that’s just me.

As for the transfers. Evolve or die. The transfer portal is here & it is changing the landscape of softball, like it or not. Most of the top programs have or have had transfers come in and make immediate MAJOR impact on the success of that program. OU currently has 3 transfers in their starting line up: Juarez, Snow, & Johns. Echols & Lindaman carry a brunt of the Florida offense. Arnold in the circle for FSU now & they also don’t win the natty in 2018 without Hansen. 2 years ago Bama doesn’t win the SEC without the arms of Cornell & Goodman to pick up the slack when Fouts was hurt. Arkansas has Burnside & Gibson jacking homers all day. Kenny G has made OSU a contender with transfers like Show, Eberle, & Busby. Texas lol. I could continue but I gotta stop procrastinating work. I think you only hurt your program if you aren’t willing to challenge your current roster by adding talent when it’s available to make your ball club its most competitive. Transfers are such a viable & enticing option because you have a better idea of how that athlete competes at the D1 level. Sometimes great TB players don’t develop beyond the level you recruited them at. I think Glasco plans to rely less on transfers in the future. But if a talented player wants to come to Louisiana to play for our team, why wouldn’t you want them there? I want to win as long as we do it with integrity & class, if we have a few transfers that help us get a Natty, then lets GEAUX!
    Good overview. Coach G is a 1st class guy. I know he ranks high on your list from the conversations we have had about Florida ranking high on your favorite list. If you have a chance to make your roster better you get that player on your squad bottom line. I want a national championship and really dont care where the girls are from. Coach Glasco feels he can win that title in Lafayette and so do I.

15. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Good overview. Coach G is a 1st class guy. I know he ranks high on your list from the conversations we have had about Florida ranking high on your favorite list. If you have a chance to make your roster better you get that player on your squad bottom line. I want a national championship and really dont care where the girls are from. Coach Glasco feels he can win that title in Lafayette and so do I.
    Hoping the kitty kats down the road don't win one first. They'd never let us hear the end of it. Go Seminoles.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread Information