Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 SB and beyond.

Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    One thing I noticed in looking at the roster; with the exception of Summer; all the departing seniors are transfers in from other schools. And 5 of 6 are from P-5 schools. Only Julie Rawls came to us from Conference USA. I don’t know for sure; but I think you don’t want to have that kind of exodus year in and out. You want kids that have been here for years and grown. Built the program.
    Julie actually came from the Southland, out of Northwestern State. She was a truly good pickup for us!

I would love to see us build strictly from high school recruits, but I also wonder if Glasco believes he has to possibly make up for us not being able to wow those young high school athletes like the SEC/Big 12 schools can with all their amenities, so he'll try to make up for that by bringing in big school transfers.

Also, while I haven't heard him say anything of the sort, I also wonder if part of his strategy has been to bring in girls with previous WCWS experience. There were five or six girls on the roster with such experience this season.

I’m not sure building with majority HS will be possible with portal. Will the kids be willing to work while waiting or transfer out? I think transfers will be a significant part of our program. I HOPE that doesn’t happen. I would prefer that transfers be used only to fill immediate needs due to misses in recruiting or injuries and such. Just believe that we are seeing a new normal. The large number of transfers this year were essential but it took a while for them to gel IMO. It’s just fun to watch this program. Amazing how consistently they are part of the national discussion.

I'm ok with filling a need with a transfer as long as that transfer has multiple seasons of eligibility left. Taking someone with one year left or as a grad transfer is a waste of a roster place. One and done is not the direction, in general UL should take. It worked out this year with the Georgia transfers as far as performance, but I can see where having players come in for 1 season and then leave could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I would love to see us build strictly from high school recruits, but I also wonder if Glasco believes he has to possibly make up for us not being able to wow those young high school athletes like the SEC/Big 12 schools can with all their amenities, so he'll try to make up for that by bringing in big school transfers.

Also, while I haven't heard him say anything of the sort, I also wonder if part of his strategy has been to bring in girls with previous WCWS experience. There were five or six girls on the roster with such experience this season.
    I think he is and always has been, able to recruit great high school players. I refer to JMVCAJUNS note about UL having the #1 ranked recruiting class for next year and Coach Glasco believes he has a better class for the following year.

The portal option is a big question; one each team will handle differently, and with respect to this, I have complete confidence in his decision(s).

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    I'm ok with filling a need with a transfer as long as that transfer has multiple seasons of eligibility left. Taking someone with one year left or as a grad transfer is a waste of a roster place. One and done is not the direction, in general UL should take. It worked out this year with the Georgia transfers as far as performance, but I can see where having players come in for 1 season and then leave could be a problem.
    Last year we had Meg Kleist as a 1 and done transfer, and were poised to make a run at a natty until covid derailed the season.

7. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Let's geaux seminoles! But honestly, as much as I'd love the purple cats to get bashed next weekend, we played them well and even shut them out in one game. Says tons about our team if they were to go far in the WCWS.

8. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

First of all congratulations to ours girls for a great season. It did not end as we would like but then again only one team in the country every year has their season end like they wanted it to. To all of the seniors, thank you for your time, sacrifice and dedication to our university. You represented the university and this community with class and honor, therefore, you are all winners no matter the outcome of your last game. Moving forward, the transfer portal will definitely change how teams are are put together from year to year. I am old and old fashion and still believe in a certain amount of loyalty both from coaches and players. That being said I believe a balance between a solid recruiting class and filling immediate needs is the way to go. If we recruit young ladies who come to this program and perform and develop as we intended and are in the upper tier of players at that position across the country then I believe we should have a since of loyalty to those individuals and not pick up a 5th year senior for one year at that same position merely because they are available in the portal. Now should there be unforeseen injuries during the season or for whatever reason you have been unable to land a top tier player at a position for a couple of years and you see your teams chances of going to the college world series peaking for the next year, (i.e. our team last year), then by all means fill your needs through the portal. Also, just my opinion, I think in most circumstances we should grab girls off of the portal who have multiple years of eligibility still available. I believe a sense of "team" goes a long way in getting through the rough spots. This can only be accomplished through being battle tested together both at practice and during games not to mention the off the field relationships (a sense of dedication to your teammates) that are always invaluable when it comes to crunch time.
    Everyone have a great off season and I am looking forward to OKC next year.
    GEAUX CAJUNS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    I’m not sure building with majority HS will be possible with portal. Will the kids be willing to work while waiting or transfer out? I think transfers will be a significant part of our program. I HOPE that doesn’t happen. I would prefer that transfers be used only to fill immediate needs due to misses in recruiting or injuries and such. Just believe that we are seeing a new normal. The large number of transfers this year were essential but it took a while for them to gel IMO. It’s just fun to watch this program. Amazing how consistently they are part of the national discussion.
    All schools will build year to year going forward with the portal. True for all sports with the ability to transfer once without sitting. It will impact football as well. Article on ESPN website today documents how much tampering is going on with the football portal. Especially so for athletes doing well at G5 schools. They will get P5 offers and move on. So far, we have been helped more than hurt in football and softball by this. Not sure that continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    All schools will build year to year going forward with the portal. True for all sports with the ability to transfer once without sitting. It will impact football as well. Article on ESPN website today documents how much tampering is going on with the football portal. Especially so for athletes doing well at G5 schools. They will get P5 offers and move on. So far, we have been helped more than hurt in football and softball by this. Not sure that continues.
    Not sure why you're worried about Cajun softball players transferring to a P5 school when they can win it all here.

Besides the three players who transferred when the previous coach was fired, name one stud player who transferred to a P5 school. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    In post #6 you said it hasn't worked out. Now in post #37 you are saying we have had success. Which is it?
    This? I didn’t say it wasn’t working. Quite the opposite, actually. Did the double negative throw you off?

“The program certainly does have the label of being a transfer U, but honestly it's not not worked for them. They've made it to the regional final in each of Gerry's 3 complete years. They were in a golden position to host in 2020.”

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Last year we had Meg Kleist as a 1 and done transfer, and were poised to make a run at a natty until covid derailed the season.
    That's the type transfer you have to take! Elite pitchers are few and far between. Getting one, if only for a year could be the difference in losing another regional final or going to OK City.

I believe hitting should improve next year. What I am still getting used to is not playing gorilla ball like under the previous staff. But when Gerry Glasco first interviewed with Stevie P; he mentioned preferences towards small ball. He’d rather a multitude of hits rather than straight home runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    I believe hitting should improve next year. What I am still getting used to is not playing gorilla ball like under the previous staff. But when Gerry Glasco first interviewed with Stevie P; he mentioned preferences towards small ball. He’d rather a multitude of hits rather than straight home runs.
    Grant when was this interview? We are losing Rawls, Dalton, Alderink, Gortarez, Bryan, Milz, Boswell and the hitting should improve?

7 kids from texas tech just entered the portal! Soon the ncaa will allow teams to trade players!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information