Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10

Thread: 2022 SB and beyond.

Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    If you were the head softball coach at UL would you be scared to redshirt kids for fear of them leaving after the season?
    If I was a good HC like Napier or Glasco, I stick to my process and I don't change it unless that freshman is extremely special. So no I wouldn’t be scared to not play freshmen because I would be confident in my ability to find another to replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    If I was a good HC like Napier or Glasco, I stick to my process and I don't change it unless that freshman is extremely special. So no I wouldn’t be scared to not play freshmen because I would be confident in my ability to find another to replace them.
    Another perspective way to look at it. T your the man.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    If you were the head softball coach at UL would you be scared to redshirt kids for fear of them leaving after the season?
    As much as I was for the extra covid year of eligibility, I think the impact of it will be felt for the next few years in this regard. This class of true freshman that are wrapping up their first year, most likely were told by coaches that they would be competing for an open starting spot left by a graduating senior. Covid hits, super senoirs return & it's hard to imagine a world where the likes of Dalton, Sis Bates, Kendyl Lindaman or Anna Shelnutt, etc. get beat out by a freshman. I think kids that thought they would be battling for a starting spot found themselves #3 or #4 on the depth chart & decide to leave to find a place to get more pt. I think in order for redshirting to work out for both the student athlete & the program there has to be very open & honest communication between coach & SA. Stability & a well-established culture within the program are also necessary components. Lonni Alameda & FSU immediately come to mind. FSU is very adept at using the redshirt successfully & to their advantage; recent Seminole standouts like Elizabeth Mason, Meghan King, & Kathryn Sandercock all took a redshirt. Alameda loves to redshirt her freshman pitchers because she gets an entire year to develop them & let them adjust to being a college student while also giving SA up-close look at how the D1 game is played. This is actually the reason that Kylie Hanson chose to go to FAU over FSU-she didn't want to sit a year. She eventually transferred to FSU with her last year of eligibility & would help lead them to their 1st natty. It could work for UL if Glasco makes it clear to the SA before they sign NLI & the SA is 100% committed to the process and is fully aware of sitting out. If you are reading this, congrats for making it to the end of my novel lol. Sure I'd worry about them leaving after the RS year but it's a calculated risk. And I'd also constantly worry that they could just as easily suffer a freak or an unforeseen injury but I'm just a worrier.

Quote Originally Posted by mun_RaginCajuns View Post
    As much as I was for the extra covid year of eligibility, I think the impact of it will be felt for the next few years in this regard. This class of true freshman that are wrapping up their first year, most likely were told by coaches that they would be competing for an open starting spot left by a graduating senior. Covid hits, super senoirs return & it's hard to imagine a world where the likes of Dalton, Sis Bates, Kendyl Lindaman or Anna Shelnutt, etc. get beat out by a freshman. I think kids that thought they would be battling for a starting spot found themselves #3 or #4 on the depth chart & decide to leave to find a place to get more pt. I think in order for redshirting to work out for both the student athlete & the program there has to be very open & honest communication between coach & SA. Stability & a well-established culture within the program are also necessary components. Lonni Alameda & FSU immediately come to mind. FSU is very adept at using the redshirt successfully & to their advantage; recent Seminole standouts like Elizabeth Mason, Meghan King, & Kathryn Sandercock all took a redshirt. Alameda loves to redshirt her freshman pitchers because she gets an entire year to develop them & let them adjust to being a college student while also giving SA up-close look at how the D1 game is played. This is actually the reason that Kylie Hanson chose to go to FAU over FSU-she didn't want to sit a year. She eventually transferred to FSU with her last year of eligibility & would help lead them to their 1st natty. It could work for UL if Glasco makes it clear to the SA before they sign NLI & the SA is 100% committed to the process and is fully aware of sitting out. If you are reading this, congrats for making it to the end of my novel lol. Sure I'd worry about them leaving after the RS year but it's a calculated risk. And I'd also constantly worry that they could just as easily suffer a freak or an unforeseen injury but I'm just a worrier.
    The problem is most kids don't trust the process or they are impatient. Excellent outlook for redshirts.

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    Just a couple of thoughts. First, using Cadrea as an example is not good. He hasn't won a championship in since forever and the game has pretty much passed him by.

Your last point about local fans wanting the team to be built with local players is correct. There's just not enough good ones to effectively build a championship team.

Oklahoma is the number one team in the nation. There's only one player from Oklahoma, much less Norman. Six of their starters are from California and two from Texas. You don't see their fans complaining about their players not being home grown.
    I told you Candrea was the goat in my opinion. I doubt they win the wcws, but I really don't think the game has passed him by. Congrats to Denham.

7. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Does the "redshirt" belong to the team or does it belong to the player?
    Hey JMV, you have never answered this question?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Hey JMV, you have never answered this question?
    Technically, I would guess that to redshirt a player would be the coaches decision, so I guess team would be the answer. The player could say they don't want to redshirt but the coach still doesn't have to play them. Then again, not all players would stay for the next year if that were to happen. Sophie Piskos had already agreed to the redshirt before they have to pull it when Rawls got injured and couldn't catch.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Technically, I would guess that to redshirt a player would be the coaches decision, so I guess team would be the answer. The player could say they don't want to redshirt but the coach still doesn't have to play them. Then again, not all players would stay for the next year if that were to happen. Sophie Piskos had already agreed to the redshirt before they have to pull it when Rawls got injured and couldn't catch.
    Thats exactly why I wouldn't red shirt anyone because if you do then you run the risk of the player leaving next year. Anyone not redshirting and not playing falls into this category. With the portal you really have no idea what your team will look like year to year anyway, so get your moneys worth by playing them as/if needed.

10. Default Re: 2022 SB and beyond.

Don’t anyone fool themselves, the redshirt is for the player. However, any Coach worth its salt will work with the player to determine if it will be pulled or not. Any player worth its salt will work with the coach for the betterment of the team in determining if it will be pulled or not. I’m sure that is what Coach Glasco and Ms Piskos did this year. Any Coach that is idiot enough to believe that they can control where a player goes these days by controlling each player’s RS without the player being on board will not coach successfully for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Who decides: The head coach has the final say.

Who benefits: The head coach and the player.

Why?: It allows the player to get there feet up underneath them a little more in various areas, like maturity, softball prowness, academics, etc. And this extra year of growth gives them 4 more years of playing time which the coach is hoping the redshirt will pay off.

When is it made: After the fall.

Can a player decline?: I guess they could, but I would think it means getting cut if they did. Once the NLI has been signed, a coach can't pull a scholarship until after the freshman year if I remember right.

Looks like it is time to revisit this thread.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10

Thread Information