Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Final Week of Sun Belt Play

Default Re: UL baseball faces tough pitching decisions this week with Sun Belt tourney looming

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLA View Post
    No game tonight, so no issue with pitching decisions for a standard 3 game series that begins on Thursday.
    So we pitch on 5 days rest this week and next, as will our opponents, most likely.

Default Re: UL baseball faces tough pitching decisions this week with Sun Belt tourney looming

Between Arighetti and Cooke, if they're "on" come tournament time; our bats are capable enough to do the rest and advance us to the semifinals. From there, we have Perrin, Robinson, Burke, and a few others to do the rest.

I'm feeling good about this tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Between Arighetti and Cooke, if they're "on" come tournament time; our bats are capable enough to do the rest and advance us to the semifinals. From there, we have Perrin, Robinson, Burke, and a few others to do the rest.

I'm feeling good about this tournament.
    Nobody in the tournament should scare us. Pitching will probably keep us in games. The teams are fairly even. So, the winner will be the team that wants it most and simply refuses to lose.

We are about to find out what this team is made of. We will know in 12 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Nobody in the tournament should scare us. Pitching will probably keep us in games. The teams are fairly even. So, the winner will be the team that wants it most and simply refuses to lose.

We are about to find out what this team is made of. We will know in 12 days.
    I've never understood what "who wants it more" means.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    It is definitely an odd statement for athletics for diamond sports. In regards to baseball, you can simply want it more at the plate, but for one reason or another you just don't get the pitches you're expecting at that point in the count. Next thing you know you've grounded out to 2nd.

Just speaking for myself personally, I want to see a Cajuns team that appears 100% focused mentally, knows where to go when the ball is hit to them, all-out effort on the bases and minimizes the watching 3rd strikes. Especially where it's not a 3-2 count (because I can understand watching an extremely close pitch expecting a Ball 4).

Despite the aggravations that have been posted on this board and another, I do think we have a squad that has what it takes "intestinally" to win the tournament, and be a tough out in a Regional. However, it'll take some work to make that happen. Our hitting needs to be able to complement our superior pitching.

Default Re: Final Week of Sun Belt Play

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    That is well put. Really wacky year with all the guys who came back with the free year of eligibility. Overall the conference has gone down the past few years. At one time we were up in the top 7-8 conferences but it hasnt been that way the past few years.
    And, change in membership has had something to do with that. App State was horrible when they entered the league. Georgia State has been horrible the last few years. I personally think UTA and Texas State should be better than they are. Coastal is having an uncharacteristically down season.

When Tom Walter was at UNO and Chris Finwood at WKU and the Florida schools were in the league this was a really good league.

One thing we haven't mentioned. We have a strong chance of more rain even into Thursday. We HAVE to get the game in on Thursday.

The goal this weekend: One more win than UTA (at Georgia Southern) and the same number of wins as LR (at Georgia State). That makes us the #1 seed in the West.

Maybe more precise terminology might be formulating and executing a game plan resulting in a series of victories leading to a Sunbelt Championship.

9. Default Re: UL baseball faces tough pitching decisions this week with Sun Belt tourney looming

One batter stands there and watches strike 3 fly by, and sits down.

Another guy fouls off a half dozen pitches and eventually gets a hit.

Who wanted it more?

Sunbelt strength of schedule is now 11th of 31 leagues per Boyd's World. in 2003-2004 it in the 5-6 range.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/isr/confisr.html

11. Default Re: Final Week of Sun Belt Play

I believe the moons are aligning and we got this. Sunbelt Tournament Champs.

Pitching decisions should be made on a must-win mindset at the tournament. Dont have the "luxury" of losing one and coming back like in double elimination, because a single loss could very well end your chances mathematically. Nut cutting time

The reason it is so important to be the number 1 or number 2 seed is, you could literally lose your second game and advance.

Here an example as the number 1 or 2 seed.
    Team A is the number 6 seed in the West, Team B is the number 4 seed in the East, and Team C is the number 1 seed in the West.
    Team A plays Team B on Tuesday and Team A wins.
    Team A plays Team C on Wednesday, if Team C Wins then the worst they can finish is 1-1 in pool play.
    Team C's game on Thursday is for nothing, they could pitch the backup catcher. Even if they lose the game, they will still advance because all teams will have a 1-1 record. For this to happen, the higher-seeded team would want the team they are playing first to be the winner of the first game in their pool.

The same situation for the number 2 seed in each division, but they would play on different days.

As stated several times, we need to keep pace with Little Rock on wins this weekend and win one more game than UTA. Both of those situations are very doable.

Maybe listen to Deggs interview with Scottor read the article? He isn’t planning on turning things upside down he just talks about the scenarios.

Warrennolan has the sunbelt ranked 10. Not great but miles ahead of basketball!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information