Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: SBC SB Tourney Final: Louisiana 4, Texas State 3

Default Re: SBC SB Tourney Final: Louisiana 4, Texas State 3

Quote Originally Posted by roarman View Post
    I'll give you on my take on why Stevie P. gets a bad rap. I was at the game today. I was standing 5 feet from the announcer's table and listened to what he was saying for a short while. At that time, Cierra was on first base with one out. Stevie spent 45 seconds explaining why, if he were the coach, he would not send Cierra. He gave many reasons why he thought sending her in that situation was a bad idea.

It is not a play-by-play announcers job to tell listeners what he would do in a certain situation if he were the coach. The job of a play-by-play announcer is tell the listener what is happening on the field and that is all.

A final note. After Stevie gave every reason not to send her in that situation, Glasco sent her on the next pitch.
    what happened after she was sent? out or safe?

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    what happened after she was sent? out or safe?
    She was safe, but she was called out for leaving early. The point is, Glasco sent her.

so if he switches chairs youd be ok for him to analyze? he used to do both by himself.

one would think eventually a play by play guy should reach a point where they know more than some analysts who have less experience.

All I'm trying to do is give Stevie P. some constructive criticism. I'm trying to point out, that he should not spend time trying to convince the listeners of how brilliant of a coach he would be if he were on the field. His job is to tell the listeners what's happening on the field and that is all. Expounding on what he would do if he were the coach has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening on the field.

All I'm trying to do is give Stevie P. some constructive criticism. I'm trying to point out, that he should not spend time trying to convince the listeners of how brilliant of a coach he would be if he were on the field. His job is to tell the listeners what's happening on the field and that is all. Expounding on what he would do if he were the coach has absolutely nothing to do with what's happening on the field.
    good point.

Quote Originally Posted by mun_RaginCajuns View Post
    I didn’t realize this about his rep., that’s unfortunate to find out because I think he does a great job. Cajuns fans are spoiled & don’t realize it with the full softball coverage we get. I love Washington softball but rarely get to see/hear the games that aren’t on ESPN or live streamed by the school because they don’t have a radio broadcast for all home AND away games. I would take his call of games over just about 90% of the tv announcers for softball. In fact I was planning to post a thread about this topic because the SBC announcers for the ESPN+ games have ranged from ‘a lot to be desired’ to ‘down right awful’. I know I should be thankful there’s tv coverage at all but it doesn’t help get more exposure for G5 games when the announcers suck. Alexx Powers, who has been the color analyst for the tourney, while a great player from FSU has been just tolerable. And I’ve missed the “I don’t think there’s anybody back there” call on the few games Stevie wasn’t on this season.
    bump. would enjoy that thread

I learn about the game and the team when I listen to Steve. I’ll never not love his calls of UL softball.

On an unrelated note, the Cajuns may be in the same position as they were in 2018. They beat TXST on Friday to put them in the losers bracket. They may both play again in the Championship. If you remember, TXST won the championship game and the tourney @ Lamson even though both teams had only one loss.

Either make it a single elimination or double for all teams. At least when it comes down to the final 2 teams like in a regional or super. Even if it benefited the Cajuns if they were in TXST’s position, I still think it’s just weird to name one champion over the other with identical loss records. Regardless if they had to fight through the losers bracket. Although I think baseball won one like that in the mid 2010s.

I appreciate your take on it, I guess I overlook the negatives without realizing it. He’s got a good radio voice with a true to Cajun accent, knowledgeable about the team & players, enthusiastic, & generally keeps a positive tone about players/games. There is no perfect announcer. My dad did the play-by-play for my hometown hs football team for 20+ years & occasionally other sports (there were years I was on with him for basketball). You do make a fair point. Lots of color/analyst give their predictions of what pitch they’d throw in a count or critique what went wrong with a certain play. It gives insight to different strategies from different people. Right, wrong, indifferent it’s also a way to fill dead air. All fans love to armchair QB/coach we just usually don’t have the same # of listeners, for me it’s whoever is unfortunate enough to sit next to me or read my online posts lol

I appreciate your take on it, I guess I overlook the negatives without realizing it. He’s got a good radio voice with a true to Cajun accent, knowledgeable about the team & players, enthusiastic, & generally keeps a positive tone about players/games. There is no perfect announcer. My dad did the play-by-play for my hometown hs football team for 20+ years & occasionally other sports (there were years I was on with him for basketball). You do make a fair point. Lots of color/analyst give their predictions of what pitch they’d throw in a count or critique what went wrong with a certain play. It gives insight to different strategies from different people. Right, wrong, indifferent it’s also a way to fill dead air. All fans love to armchair QB/coach we just usually don’t have the same # of listeners, for me it’s whoever is unfortunate enough to sit next to me or read my online posts lol
    Nice post!

And Steve is pretty knowledgeable about softball personally.

11. Default Re: SBC SB Tourney Final: Louisiana 4, Texas State 3

I'll give you on my take on why Stevie P. gets a bad rap. I was at the game today. I was standing 5 feet from the announcer's table and listened to what he was saying for a short while. At that time, Cierra was on first base with one out. Stevie spent 45 seconds explaining why, if he were the coach, he would not send Cierra. He gave many reasons why he thought sending her in that situation was a bad idea.

It is not a play-by-play announcers job to tell listeners what he would do in a certain situation if he were the coach. The job of a play-by-play announcer is tell the listener what is happening on the field and that is all.

A final note. After Stevie gave every reason not to send her in that situation, Glasco sent her on the next pitch.
    I think Stevie P knew what was coming next.

Very smart to preemptively state his case than posthumously.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I learn about the game and the team when I listen to Steve. I’ll never not love his calls of UL softball.

On an unrelated note, the Cajuns may be in the same position as they were in 2018. They beat TXST on Friday to put them in the losers bracket. They may both play again in the Championship. If you remember, TXST won the championship game and the tourney @ Lamson even though both teams had only one loss.

Either make it a single elimination or double for all teams. At least when it comes down to the final 2 teams like in a regional or super. Even if it benefited the Cajuns if they were in TXST’s position, I still think it’s just weird to name one champion over the other with identical loss records. Regardless if they had to fight through the losers bracket. Although I think baseball won one like that in the mid 2010s.
    I agree with you. Since all the games are on ESPN+, there's no reason for it not to be a true double elimination tournament. The conference wants the best chance for the top seed to lose, and be an at large.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Yes. And, so are 100 other people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Then he should stick to calling the softball game. Last time I listened there was a discussion on Dairy Queen, the junkyard dog, Ted dibiase and whoever else wrassled in mid south. There may have been something else about pancakes mixed in as well. Saying he’s better than others isn't saying much. The softball play by play bar ain’t very high. Call what you see on the field and Please about all that other BS.

If I want or need some overall general softball knowledge this is my go to source. I told you once you started making your own threads it would be appreciated by the true fans.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information