Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Devin Butts

1. UL Basketball Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

Devin Butts did most of his damage from 3-point land Saturday, but he went inside the arc for his biggest heroics.

Butts' steal and layup with 0.4 seconds left lifted the UL Ragin' Cajuns to a dramatic 74-73 victory over Texas State that vaults UL (13-4, 7-3 Sun Belt) into first place in the Sun Belt West Division after their second straight weekend sweep.

Default Re: Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

Video of the charge-steal-score and locker-room celebration here:

https://www.katc.com/sports/ul-sport...n3rdIYLRsh106w

3. Default Re: Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

How was that a charge? How was that not blocking?

Remember Tennessee.

Default Re: Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

Locker Room celebration must be on a different video. It is not shown here. I did see one on Twitter. For the second straight week, Isaiah Richards is using a broom and doing a little dance to signify the sweep. All if good fun.

5. Default Re: Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Locker Room celebration must be on a different video. It is not shown here. I did see one on Twitter. For the second straight week, Isaiah Richards is using a broom and doing a little dance to signify the sweep. All if good fun.
    Follow the link under the video and the article has the celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    How was that a charge? How was that not blocking?

Remember Tennessee.
    That was my question. Terrible call. He made the go-ahead bucket and had it taken away. Great steal that reminded me of Larry Bird's great steal in the NBA Championship. BTW, there is a great video of Bird's career highlights. In my opinion, none better.

That was not a charge but it was bang bang. The defender slid in and was still moving by the time Russell went up for shot. Couldn't tell whether he was outside of the restricted circle.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    That was not a charge but it was bang bang. The defender slid in and was still moving by the time Russell went up for shot. Couldn't tell whether he was outside of the restricted circle.
    Saw from a side view he was definitely outside the circle.

9. Default Re: Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

Not in the circle and not in a secured upright position. He’s moving.

It should have been a no call in my opinion.

11. Default Re: Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

I have now watched this series of plays over and over again at least a dozen times and this was an incredible series of events.

First and foremost, this was a great play by Cedric Russell and it should have been a block, not a no call and not a charge, a straight up block. Harrell was late getting there and his feet were moving when Russell got into the lane. He was not set at all, not even close and the rule is that a player can not move underneath a player in the act of shooting, that is exactly what Harrell did.

But the most impressive thing about the recovery on the errant pass and shot was the actual shot. Butts did a number of things that we have not spent allot of time talking about. #1, he recovered the ball, when he did this their were only 3.4 seconds on the clock when TSU threw the ball in, by the time he recovered it their was exactly 2.7 seconds left on the clock. #2, he stayed in bounds, if you look he was very close to stepping out of bounds and his momentum was taking him towards the end line, with the ball between himself and that end line. #3, he did not hesitate or get nervous, with only 2.7 seconds, rather than just throwing up a shot when he recovered and being off balance and not squaring up, he corrected himself and took it to the basket. #4 and the most important part, the rim protector on the shot was Isaiah Small, a 6'8" Forward with an incredible wing span and one of the best shot blockers in the SBC averaging almost 1.5 blocks per game. Butts had to shoot this ball high over Small (Ironic, I know) and make sure he did not get any piece of the ball. This incredible series was amazing from start to finish, but the shot was the most impressive part. All of this would have been for naught, had Small who had played a whale of a weekend even touched the ball at all. He actually shot the ball over the box on the back of the backboard, it touched the backboard a few inches higher than the box.

Then finally Theo Akuwba making the interception down court to eliminate any chance the Bobcats had of getting a shot off.

Again, so many moving parts and such an incredible ending to a very good basketball game, but when you break it down from start to finish you see how special the recovery (I don't like calling a steal, because Butts really didn't "cause" it.), the patience, the drive, the shot and the interception all was, you can not be but impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I have now watched this series of plays over and over again at least a dozen times and this was an incredible series of events.

First and foremost, this was a great play by Cedric Russell and it should have been a block, not a no call and not a charge, a straight up block. Harrell was late getting there and his feet were moving when Russell got into the lane. He was not set at all, not even close and the rule is that a player can not move underneath a player in the act of shooting, that is exactly what Harrell did.

But the most impressive thing about the recovery on the errant pass and shot was the actual shot. Butts did a number of things that we have not spent allot of time talking about. #1, he recovered the ball, when he did this their were only 3.4 seconds on the clock when TSU threw the ball in, by the time he recovered it their was exactly 2.7 seconds left on the clock. #2, he stayed in bounds, if you look he was very close to stepping out of bounds and his momentum was taking him towards the end line, with the ball between himself and that end line. #3, he did not hesitate or get nervous, with only 2.7 seconds, rather than just throwing up a shot when he recovered and being off balance and not squaring up, he corrected himself and took it to the basket. #4 and the most important part, the rim protector on the shot was Isaiah Small, a 6'8" Forward with an incredible wing span and one of the best shot blockers in the SBC averaging almost 1.5 blocks per game. Butts had to shoot this ball high over Small (Ironic, I know) and make sure he did not get any piece of the ball. This incredible series was amazing from start to finish, but the shot was the most impressive part. All of this would have been for naught, had Small who had played a whale of a weekend even touched the ball at all. He actually shot the ball over the box on the back of the backboard, it touched the backboard a few inches higher than the box.

Then finally Theo Akuwba making the interception down court to eliminate any chance the Bobcats had of getting a shot off.

Again, so many moving parts and such an incredible ending to a very good basketball game, but when you break it down from start to finish you see how special the recovery (I don't like calling a steal, because Butts really didn't "cause" it.), the patience, the drive, the shot and the interception all was, you can not be but impressed.
    If you look closely, I think Small may have gotten a piece of the ball, making the shot more impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post

Great analysis. Butts will remember that play for the rest of his life.

14. Default Re: Devin Butts delivered key steal, bucket to help Louisiana get thrilling 74-73 road win

As well he should. Athletes often have a blunder to recall. He’s got a heroic moment.

UL Basketball Devin Butts

Devin Butts has entered the transfer portal. Hopefully, not much more follow. He and Wilson would've been great for next year.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information