Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Devin Butts

Default Re: Devin Butts Has Entered the Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Hopefully, not much more follow. He and Wilson would've been great for next year.
    More will be on the way. A lot have said Marlin would tank the program and here we are

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    More will be on the way. A lot have said Marlin would tank the program and here we are
    He's not even one of the ones that was expected. There are more. Should have gotten rid of Marlin after the season. This will end up being a mistake and will cost our program a year of a rebuild by waiting until next year to fire him.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    He's not even one of the ones that was expected. There are more. Should have gotten rid of Marlin after the season. This will end up being a mistake and will cost our program a year of a rebuild by waiting until next year to fire him.
    He will use this as an excuse next year. Ignore the 90% second game exit the last 11 years

Right when I was thinking this team could be fun to watch next year.

With over 1700 in the portal now there is no guarantee they will get picked up by another school.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    With over 1700 in the portal now there is no guarantee they will get picked up by another school.
    Verbal Commits is showing 1,555 total in the portal and just over half (783) of those have already found a new home. Most who enter open up a spot at their former school for someone else to land. I’m not sure but I would assume that a senior (like Flowers who left South AL for Wash St.) who goes in the portal would not count against the scholarship limit at the new school just like a Senior who chooses to return for another season where they are. Otherwise I don’t think you would see all of these seniors entering.

7. Default ESPN 1420 UL's Devin Butts Enters Transfer Portal

He appeared in 24 of the team's 28 games last season.

Very sporadic player.

Man, with this logic the coach sucks because 3 people hit the portal, Duke’s coach must be horrid being 4 so far are in the portal.

Point is most players are chasing their egos thinking of the next level. Like someone stated stepping into a greener pasture doesn’t mean you’re stepping into grass.

Having personally witness multiple times families, parents, baby mommas and girlfriends tell our players in football and basketball how great they are and they’re too good for here, nothing surprises me. The saddest, I won’t name the football player, but his mom and mother of his child was yelling at him to go DEMAND Hud put him in. He was gassed. Dude looked so heartbroken, it obviously wasn’t fun anymore...it was a mission, but not his.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Man, with this logic the coach sucks because 3 people hit the portal, Duke’s coach must be horrid being 4 so far are in the portal.

Point is most players are chasing their egos thinking of the next level. Like someone stated stepping into a greener pasture doesn’t mean you’re stepping into grass.

Having personally witness multiple times families, parents, baby mommas and girlfriends tell our players in football and basketball how great they are and they’re too good for here, nothing surprises me. The saddest, I won’t name the football player, but his mom and mother of his child was yelling at him to go DEMAND Hud put him in. He was gassed. Dude looked so heartbroken, it obviously wasn’t fun anymore...it was a mission, but not his.
    Coach sucks because once again, he is running off Butts and Spenkuch because they can't play. They aren't good enough. Wilson wants to compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament, something he was promised when recruited but once again, Marlin cannot put a roster around anyone capable of even competing in the upper tier of our own conference.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    Coach sucks because once again, he is running off Butts and Spenkuch because they can't play. They aren't good enough. Wilson wants to compete for a spot in the NCAA tournament, something he was promised when recruited but once again, Marlin cannot put a roster around anyone capable of even competing in the upper tier of our own conference.
    Butts can play, if he is being "chased off" that would probably be due to the issues that led to his suspension last year. Spenkuch may have been advised to move on or just realized that on his own. As a Scholarship guy when you only play in 5 games and don't score a point you know its not working. Wilson has shown he has the talent to start or be a 6th man in an SEC or Big 12 type setting.

The transfer portal is a huge game of musical chairs that almost every D-1 program is involved in this year. I will wait and pass judgement until after the music stops. SO far I think Wilson leaving and Greg Williams coming in is close to a wash. We will have to wait and see what happens when its all over.

12. Default Devin Butts

I’ve been away from RP for a while and not sure if this was posted already. But former Cajun basketball player and young man who was playing for NC Central passed away back in may.

Default Re: Devin Butts

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I’ve been away from RP for a while and not sure if this was posted already. But former Cajun basketball player and young man who was playing for NC Central passed away back in may.

How is the new gig going? Wishing you nothing but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Shot related?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Shot related?
    One article states he collapsed a week before his passing while playing ball.

Not sure if it was shot related, but certainly seems to be uptick in young folks passing away unexpectedly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information