Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seacor Accident

Default Seacor Accident

Kind of surprised that nobody started a thread on this accident. Just curious of everyone thoughts? I personally know one of the guys that is still missing. I think they will need to learn alot from this and hopefully it never happens again. IMO the state and government didn't use all resources possible on this search and rescue operation.

RC8 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Seacor Accident

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Kind of surprised that nobody started a thread on this accident. Just curious of everyone thoughts? I personally know one of the guys that is still missing. I think they will need to learn alot from this and hopefully it never happens again. IMO the state and government didn't use all resources possible on this search and rescue operation.
    When you say “they will need to learn alot from this” who are you talking about?

This was a tragic accident and hits very close to home for me. I didn’t know any of them personally but have lots of mutual friends. Being in the industry for many years, I have been on hundreds of liftboats. It’s just sad to think about all the way around.

Really nothing to learn they don’t already know, lift boats aren’t meant for rough waters and they should have never left the dock. Flip side of that, the weather report when they left was nothing close to what they ended up in...freak weather occurrence that produced 117 mph winds

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    When you say “they will need to learn alot from this” who are you talking about?

This was a tragic accident and hits very close to home for me. I didn’t know any of them personally but have lots of mutual friends. Being in the industry for many years, I have been on hundreds of liftboats. It’s just sad to think about all the way around.
    Response methods, additional resources, urgency, etc.

RC8 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Response methods, additional resources, urgency, etc.
    WHO?

Not saying more couldn’t have been done after but boats were there quickly, just not much you can do in 100 mph winds and 10-15 foot seas. It’s a terrible tragedy but nobody could have predicted that weather event. The guys who survived jumped in, that’s really the only thing I guess you could take in the situation is get away from the boat...but the others may have jumped in also and just got swept away. Freak accident. Also because nobody expected it there were tons of boats out there, a guy that’s works for one of our customers said he has never heard so many May Day calls in his life, help didn’t even know which direction to go in because so many boats were radioing for help.

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    WHO?
    National guard, us navy seals, military, helicopters. We sent the us navy to a different country to look for a submarine. More divers, We didn't exhaust all available resources.

Have a good friend that is a retired safety supervisor from a large service company. He candidly explained most likely if any bodies were to be recovered at this point they would be found during salvage work. It has gotten to the point risk/reward didn’t exist. Any searching statistically at this point is PR.

The UCN and Ronnie Adams thing needs to go away ASAP. It’s not about them, people need to mourn, not be distracted by a side show.

God be with all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Have a good friend that is a retired safety supervisor from a large service company. He candidly explained most likely if any bodies were to be recovered at this point they would be found during salvage work. It has gotten to the point risk/reward didn’t exist. Any searching statistically at this point is PR.

The UCN and Ronnie Adams thing needs to go away ASAP. It’s not about them, people need to mourn, not be distracted by a side show.

100 percent agree with this post.

The USCG took a vessel that hasn’t even been commissioned yet, barely sea trialed to join the search. They also had a buoy tender sink and had to save 3 of their own guys from the water.

The minute that vessel left port it was over. We lost a helicopter in Fourchon that was tied down and secured. The weather ripped off 2 rotor blades. Broke two of the 4 tie down straps and damaged the landing gear as it bounced and hopped across the parking pad.

The decision to leave port was a bad one. It resulted in catastrophic losses of both life and possible infrastructure.

It really sucks, but not much could have been done for them during that weather system.

Exactly, only thing could have been done was to not leave port, but I was told when they left it was calling 3-5ís and winds at 15 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Exactly, only thing could have been done was to not leave port, but I was told when they left it was calling 3-5’s and winds at 15 knots.
    Quite possibly, I just know we turned down 2 scheduled customer flights to avoid that weather.

Which was delayed another two days after due to the same types of systems moving through. It was not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    The USCG took a vessel that hasnít even been commissioned yet, barely sea trialed to join the search. They also had a buoy tender sink and had to save 3 of their own guys from the water.

The minute that vessel left port it was over. We lost a helicopter in Fourchon that was tied down and secured. The weather ripped off 2 rotor blades. Broke two of the 4 tie down straps and damaged the landing gear as it bounced and hopped across the parking pad.

The decision to leave port was a bad one. It resulted in catastrophic losses of both life and possible infrastructure.

It really sucks, but not much could have been done for them during that weather system.
    Damn! I talked to your dad today and he didn't tell me that. Glad you were safe.

They hit what is called a “wake low” which is a rare weather event that creates hurricane like conditions almost instantly. Imagine if hurricanes hit you with the warning time of a tornado and you are on a Jack up 9 miles offshore when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

Wow. Ronnie Adams is a name I hadn't seen in close to 20 years. Didn't realize he had been on reality TV. Glad to see him helping so much with these efforts.

The drama between him and UNC does need to go away and the focus needs to be back on the families

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information