Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Burnt Roux: Mylik Wilson Portals to Texas Tech

UL Basketball Burnt Roux: Mylik Wilson Portals to Texas Tech

Is Crow taking Mylik Wilson with him? Bc he is leaving too

Default Re: Assistant Basketball Coach Josten Crow Leaving UL to Join Louisiana Tech’s Staff

Rats fleeing a sinking ship

Default Re: Assistant Basketball Coach Josten Crow Leaving UL to Join Louisiana Tech’s Staff

Haven't seen anything posted from Mylik. Is this from the portal?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Haven't seen anything posted from Mylik. Is this from the portal?
    https://t.co/SxHeUjzbbb?amp=1

Default G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Anyone have any info on this? This is bad.

Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    Anyone have any info on this? This is bad.
    He is our best player! Can we keep anyone on this roster for more than 3 years!?!?! I think Cedric Russell and Elfrid Payton are the only ones who made it through from freshman to graduation under Marlin.... it is time for marlin to move on.

7. Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    He is our best player! Can we keep anyone on this roster for more than 3 years!?!?! I think Cedric Russell and Elfrid Payton are the only ones who made it through from freshman to graduation under Marlin.... it is time for marlin to move on.
    Elfrid opted for the NBA draft a year early, so only played 3.

Shawn Long stayed till graduation, but he came in late.

Retention has been an ongoing Marlin problem throughout his tenure.

The one time transfer rule with no penalty became official today, although everyone knew it was coming. This has essentially created free agency, the last I remember there were about 1,400 players in the transfer portal. Many schools have far more entering the portal than we have. Sun Belt player of the year Devante Jones is transferring from Coastal Carolina, as well as Sun belt 1st team Michael Flowers from South Alabama (already committed to Washington State). Building yearly teams instead of programs is here to stay in college basketball whether you like it or not.

I knew another guard would probably leave after the Greg Williams commitment, I just hoped it wouldn’t be Wilson. I think he will get a lot of interest from some major programs, especially having 3 years of eligibility. La Tech has been mentioned and with this coming on the same day as the Josten Crow announcement and with that being Wilson’s backyard I guess that is a possibility as well.

As far as guys who have stayed in the program 4 years Kasey Shepard, Jonathan Stove, and Bryce Washington are all 1,000 point scorers who did that that you failed to mention. As much as I hate Wilson leaving I really don’t think the retention problem is any worse here than the average program these days. Wilson and Jalen Johnson (who by the way is back in the portal) last year are probably the only guys who have transferred out in the past 7-8 years against the staff’s wishes in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    The one time transfer rule with no penalty became official today, although everyone knew it was coming. This has essentially created free agency, the last I remember there were about 1,400 players in the transfer portal. Many schools have far more entering the portal than we have. Sun Belt player of the year Devante Jones is transferring from Coastal Carolina, as well as Sun belt 1st team Michael Flowers from South Alabama (already committed to Washington State). Building yearly teams instead of programs is here to stay in college basketball whether you like it or not.

I knew another guard would probably leave after the Greg Williams commitment, I just hoped it wouldn’t be Wilson. I think he will get a lot of interest from some major programs, especially having 3 years of eligibility. La Tech has been mentioned and with this coming on the same day as the Josten Crow announcement and with that being Wilson’s backyard I guess that is a possibility as well.

As far as guys who have stayed in the program 4 years Kasey Shepard, Jonathan Stove, and Bryce Washington are all 1,000 point scorers who did that that you failed to mention. As much as I hate Wilson leaving I really don’t think the retention problem is any worse here than the average program these days. Wilson and Jalen Johnson (who by the way is back in the portal) last year are probably the only guys who have transferred out in the past 7-8 years against the staff’s wishes in my opinion.
    Steven Wronkowski is another guy who played four years and earned a degree. Granted he was not a great player but was solid off the bench most of his career here. Another guy who did make a significant contribution in a four year career was Bryant Mbamalu.

Don't care if this is the new thing, it's a gut punch!

11. Default ESPN 1420 UL's Mylik Wilson Enters Transfer Portal

Could the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns soon be losing their second-leading scorer from the 2020-2021 men's college basketball season?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Don't care if this is the new thing, it's a gut punch!
    Players won't leave a successful program. We have been mediocre for years now

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Players won't leave a successful program. We have been mediocre for years now
    In the new world of college sports where players can transfer without sitting out players will leave all the time. Davion Mitchell left Auburn after a final 4 run. Caleb Mills left Houston in the middle of the season this year. In some ways players are now officially mercernaries. Marlin is not getting it done. Mylik needs to be pushed to get stronger and play tougher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post

First of all, many leave their programs when coaching changes occur or they feel they can go play at a bigger school which is understandable. You don't expect guys to leave a program that Marlin believes is the best in the league, where he is the top player on the team and the coach is going nowhere.

And we're not just talking about players leaving on their own accord when we talk about retention. The criticism for Marlin is that he moves so many guys in and out of his program as well. He recruits kids and then discards them when he feels he can get someone else better. There's either a problem with his recruiting skills or he isn't going to generate much trust in incoming guys.

Look at the mid majors that make runs in the tournament, almost all of them are veteran teams that played together for 3-4 years with majority of the same squad.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information