Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Burnt Roux: Mylik Wilson Portals to Texas Tech

1. Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Never stop recruiting.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

2. Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Wilson will end up at Texas Tech according to my source there
    I have to wonder if some coaches aren't luring players (pre portal) into the portal....

According to reports, Talvin Hester was instrumental in landing Mylik Wilson at Texas Tech

Out of high school Wilson was offered by Talvin Hestor (unsuccessfully) to go to Louisiana Tech when Hester coached there.

Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I have to wonder if some coaches aren't luring players (pre portal) into the portal....

According to reports, Talvin Hester was instrumental in landing Mylik Wilson at Texas Tech

Out of high school Wilson was offered by Talvin Hestor (unsuccessfully) to go to Louisiana Tech when Hester coached there.
    I think you know the answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    College basketball needs to do like baseball. Either don’t go at all or sign the dotted line and wait 3 years to go pro with very few exceptions.
    Not sure this solves the problem. There was still a lot of movement in baseball before the portal ever came around.

Also, this isn't a college baseball rule, it is a MLB rule on drafting eligibility. I'm not a lawyer, but if MLB loses its anti-trust status, pretty sure this would change also.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Never stop recruiting.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Peta does not like that saying

please use An ace in the hand is worth two in the deck

https://www.peta.org/features/animal...0our%20society.

Default Re: Burnt Roux: Mylik Wilson Portals to Texas Tech

That is why get rid of Marlin

7. Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Peta does not like that saying

please use An ace in the hand is worth two in the deck

https://www.peta.org/features/animal...0our%20society.
    LOL

A bird in the hand is saving its life from the cat in the bush.

Let the one safe bird in the hand go to save the endangered birds in the bush and 3 bird lives could be lost for no reason.

Georgia Tech had another guy go into portal today. That makes eight former Yellow Jackets moving on. Wonder if NCAA realized how much this would impact the game when approval of transfer without penalty was approved. How do you build your team for the next season when eight guys leave. Perhaps it is an anomaly this off season due to 20-21 being a free year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Georgia Tech had another guy go into portal today. That makes eight former Yellow Jackets moving on. Wonder if NCAA realized how much this would impact the game when approval of transfer without penalty was approved. How do you build your team for the next season when eight guys leave. Perhaps it is an anomaly this off season due to 20-21 being a free year.
    It’s probably the future unless the portal comes with the cost of a lost year of eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I think this is more of an anomaly than the norm. We are seeing a hyperactive portal due to the eligibility that is granted. Surely the NCAA will tighten those rules up once we get past the Covid fear.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I think this is more of an anomaly than the norm. We are seeing a hyperactive portal due to the eligibility that is granted. Surely the NCAA will tighten those rules up once we get past the Covid fear.
    I agree that the portal is busier due to the extra eligibility from Covid but I believe the horse is out of the barn with the one time transfer rule. Remember the portal has been around for a few years now but the one time transfer rule was just passed. The past couple of years they were handing out waivers left and right. Last year Akuwba, Butts, and Gordon all transferred in from other D-1 programs and all 3 were granted a waiver. With the one time transfer rule it’s now like everyone gets a free waiver, I guess that cuts down on whatever process that was.

I think the one time transfer rule with immediate eligibility was intended as a permanent rule. After that one transfer, you have to sit a year. At least that was my understanding.

I also think the cat is now out of the bag and you can't put it back. With the likelihood of the revenue from image/likeness likely to pass soon, preventing someone from movement might be considered a restriction of trade/work, right?

Default Re: Cedric Russell

I am much more concerned about losing Mylik Wilson than Cedric Russell. Wilson leads Texas Tech in Assists and Steals, and has an Assist/Turnover Ration of 8.5/1. Tech and Ohio State are both picked just under the elites in their respective conferences.

Default Re: Cedric Russell

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am much more concerned about losing Mylik Wilson than Cedric Russell. Wilson leads Texas Tech in Assists and Steals, and has an Assist/Turnover Ration of 8.5/1. Tech and Ohio State are both picked just under the elites in their respective conferences.
    What is ironic, is that having sat next to Wison's family at a few games, Wilson and Russell did not like playing with each other. If Russell had left earlier, Wilson may still be with the team.

15. Default Re: Cedric Russell

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    His assist to turnover ratio is up to 10.5/1

It was 1/1 in 2019-20 and 1.5/1 in 2020-21

To show you how fast he has grasped the discipline of the team he is on... Mylik has only taken two 3-point shots. Now I know the season is young but he took 81 threes in 2019-20 and 53 last year.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information