Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Officially Adds St. John's Transfer Greg Williams Jr. To Roster

1. UL Basketball Louisiana Officially Adds St. John's Transfer Greg Williams Jr. To Roster

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Men's Basketball coach Bob Marlin announced on Tuesday the official addition of former Lafayette Christian Academy product and St. John's University transfer Greg Williams, Jr., to the 2021-22 roster.

Williams, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound guard, made 83 career appearances with 29 starts in three seasons for the Red Storm. During his junior season in 2020-21, Williams played in 24 games, making 18 starts and averaging 9.5 points, 2.1 assists and 1.3 steals per game, the last of which ranked 7th in BIG EAST.

"Greg Williams is the type of person we desire to have in our program. He is the definition of Student-Athlete," Marlin said. "His basketball acumen immediately elevates our program. He is an unselfish playmaker who prioritizes winning over self. He is a strong explosive guard who can put pressure on opponents for 40 minutes.

He led the team and ranked fourth in the league with a three-point field goal percentage of 44.8 percent (26-of-58) and shot 46.3 percent from the floor. Williams scored in double figures 12 times with a pair of 20-point performances. He tallied 21 points and notched a career-best six steals against Stony Brook and scored a career-best 26 points against Georgetown.

During the 2019-20 season, Williams played in 31 games and started the final 10 contests of the season, averaging 5.7 points, 2.9 boards and 1.9 assists per outing. He finished the season strong, averaging 12.8 points on 48.9 percent shooting over his final five games

Williams played in 28 games in 2018-19, the highest total among the team's freshmen, and made one start. He scored a season-high eight points against St. Francis Brooklyn and played 16 minutes and blocked three shots in St. John's win over Seton Hall at Madison Square Garden.

"Greg's experience at St. John's will benefit our program in more ways than one," Marlin added. "He was well coached and knows what championship basketball looks like."

A four-star recruit according to ESPN, Williams was tabbed him as the No. 20 shooting guard nationally in the high school class of 2018.

He led the Knights to the LHSAA Division IV title as a senior and averaged 15 points, six rebounds and three assists per game as a junior. Williams led the Knights to the LHSAA Division IV state title in 2017, scoring 24 points in the title game, while helping propel the Knights to a 29-5 overall record and perfect 14-0 mark in district play.

He competed for the Houston Hoops program on the Nike EYBL circuit and was named the Most Valuable Player of the Future 150 Summit Camp in Birmingham, Ala., during the summer of 2015.

"Greg takes pride in putting on the Ragin' Cajuns uniform. His parents are both graduates of Louisiana. Greg was a ball boy for the Ragin' Cajuns and won state championships at LCA. He will be a role model for young boys and girls in Acadiana who aspire to one day play college basketball.

"We could not be more excited to add Greg Williams to the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns family. He believed in our current players, the direction of our program, and saw an opportunity to help his hometown team accomplish big things. It is an exciting time to be a Ragin' Cajun."

Default Re: Louisiana Officially Adds St. John's Transfer Greg Williams Jr. To Roster

Glad to have him here. It will be a very interesting backcourt especially with 2 talented combo guards in Wilson and Williams. Just need to sure up the PG position with depth and this team could be interesting even with Marlin as the coach.

Default Re: Louisiana Officially Adds St. John's Transfer Greg Williams Jr. To Roster

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Glad to have him here. It will be a very interesting backcourt especially with 2 talented combo guards in Wilson and Williams. Just need to sure up the PG position with depth and this team could be interesting even with Marlin as the coach.
    Carter Domingue should provide some good depth.

I would think the most likely with the roster now would be 3 guards in the starting 5 with Wilson, Harper, and Williams. Who runs the point and who plays on the wing is the question. In my opinion Wilson settled into the PG spot nicely in the conference tournament games last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I would think the most likely with the roster now would be 3 guards in the starting 5 with Wilson, Harper, and Williams. Who runs the point and who plays on the wing is the question. In my opinion Wilson settled into the PG spot nicely in the conference tournament games last year.
    What about Cadwell?

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    Carter Domingue should provide some good depth.
    Absolutely. I even mentioned I think its possible he could be starting some time later in the year but that may be a stretch at this point but I have no doubts he'll contribute.

His HS coach says Domingue will be big contributor in Jr. year. Interesting. Our coaches say Caldwell I’d off bench. Who knows. Need both of them

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    What about Cadwell?
    Cadwell is more of a swing guy than a point guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Cadwell is more of a swing guy than a point guard.
    Yes, but Hatch seemed to be talking about the backcourt in general as to who may run the point and who would play the wing. That is what I was referencing.

I just think Harper is too good to not be in the starting rotation. I really hope he can show improvement being in the system for the full off season and having the bit of playing experience last year when he was supposed to be in prep school. Harper can be as good if not better than Russell in my opinion, maybe not quite as good of a shooter but more athletic and able to attack the basket. I think both Williams and Wilson have the ability to play either point or on the wing. That would be 3 guards in the starting 5 who were all 4 star top 150 level recruits and Williams and Wilson have showed they can play at that level.

I think Cadwell will certainly be in the mix and would probably play at the wing, just still uncertain what exactly he can bring. There is still Butts, a hopefully healthy Au and Wesley, Thomas, Dominique, and even Garnett. There is a lot more depth at guard than forward right now and that is why I had speculated you might see another enter the portal, I just really hope it’s not Harper or Wilson.

11. Default Re: Louisiana Officially Adds St. John's Transfer Greg Williams Jr. To Roster

If all healthy and still on the team and the roster stays as it is, their is no doubt the starting 5 must be:

Wilson
    Williams
    Harper
    Akuwba
    Julien

Ironically, except that this team does not have a true point guard, the starting 5 can be really good, really long and really athletic. My issue with this team next year will be depth.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    If all healthy and still on the team and the roster stays as it is, their is no doubt the starting 5 must be:

Wilson
    Williams
    Harper
    Akuwba
    Julien

Ironically, except that this team does not have a true point guard, the starting 5 can be really good, really long and really athletic. My issue with this team next year will be depth.
    That is my guess at starting spots as well. Off the bench, guys like Butts, AU, and Richards played significant minutes as well. Coaches see a lot more in AU than fans do so he will probably play some at point due to playing it some this past year. Like a previous poster said, coaching staff believes a healthy Cadwell could be a strong sixth man. Hard for us to believe that as he has been here two years and never played in a real game. Jacobi Gordon is another guy who returns with some experience. Carter Domingue will play some in his freshman year but not sure how much with all the guys listed having more experience than he. Now all of this is based upon the two seniors not returning or anyone else being brought in. If someone else comes on board, someone on team now will have to move on. We will get 15 scholarships instead of 13 if the 2 seniors return.

13. Default Re: Louisiana Officially Adds St. John's Transfer Greg Williams Jr. To Roster

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is my guess at starting spots as well. Off the bench, guys like Butts, AU, and Richards played significant minutes as well. Coaches see a lot more in AU than fans do so he will probably play some at point due to playing it some this past year. Like a previous poster said, coaching staff believes a healthy Cadwell could be a strong sixth man. Hard for us to believe that as he has been here two years and never played in a real game. Jacobi Gordon is another guy who returns with some experience. Carter Domingue will play some in his freshman year but not sure how much with all the guys listed having more experience than he. Now all of this is based upon the two seniors not returning or anyone else being brought in. If someone else comes on board, someone on team now will have to move on. We will get 15 scholarships instead of 13 if the 2 seniors return.
    I can not see Cedric returning, I think he has been playing hurt the last 2 seasons and he has a daughter and a family, I think he will probably move on, but who knows. It is possible that Dou Gueye could possibly return if he would like and that would give us some quality depth, specifically at the forward position.

Gordon and Butts both had their moments, I think with more time they will continue to improve, but Gordon seems to be primarily a spot up shooter, Butts gives us a little more in the way of athleticism off of the bench. He can drive as well as shoot. He is also less of a liability on defense as Gordon. But I do believe both Gordon and Butts if they return will both see quality minutes with Cadwell. Richards will spell Akuwba and I think you will also see Au with some big minutes as long as he is healthy. I think he is a better player than what he showed this year. I think the injury really slowed him down.

That would give you 10 guys with minutes, you also have Garnett, Wesley, and Thomas in the mix. Now if Geuye and/or Russell return that could throw a huge monkey wrench into the above.

Then you through Joe Charles and Carter Domingue into the mix and I am not sure how they will work into the lineup. I think depending on how they progress you could see them gaining minutes as the season moves along either through injury or production from they guys above like Gordon/Butts/Cadwell, etc.

Hard to be a decent PG when slow footed.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Hard to be a decent PG when slow footed.
    Hopefully being a 100 percent healthy will allow AU to be more effective. No doubt he is better in the half court and foot speed probably does limit him when it comes to transition play. However, as I said earlier the coaching staff sees more in him than the fans do. He must do things that don't show up in the stat sheet well. I agree with Dave in that Cedric's life situation may cause him to want to move on. Dou may be thinking the same thing. He is almost 25 years old and speaks 5 languages. He could probably fit in anywhere overseas while playing pro ball. His ability to guard and offensive rebound will have someone give him a shot despite his questionable decision making at times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information