Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Playing QB for the Cajuns not as easy for Chandler Fields as throwing to Ja'Marr Chase

1. UL Football Playing QB for the Cajuns not as easy for Chandler Fields as throwing to Ja'Marr Chase

Playing quarterback at Archbishop Rummel near New Orleans, Chandler Fields often had it relatively easy. Having 2021 NFL Draft prospect Ja’Marr Chase as a receiver helped.

When Fields arrived at UL, however, nothing was simple. His first day practicing as a Ragin’ Cajun is a constant reminder.

Default Re: Playing QB for the Cajuns not as easy for Chandler Fields as throwing to Ja'Marr Chase

In reading this article and quotes from Fields, it still amazes me how so many kids come to a college program not understanding realistic expectations. This is not a knock on Fields as it is a persistent theme these days with young players hence the importance of the transfer portal but to be ____ed about running the scout team in your freshman year when we are really deep at QB especially when you were not a heavily recruited player at least at the D-1 level is surprising to me. I know you certainly need confidence in yourself but I'm just surprised more kids aren't willing to be patient when it comes to playing time.

Default Re: Playing QB for the Cajuns not as easy for Chandler Fields as throwing to Ja'Marr Chase

I much rather a freshman come in with the mindset of playing scout team as disappointing than believing that’s where he will be, especially at QB

Wish I could read the article, but evidently the Daily Advertiser thinks their content is worth paying for. Pay for the privilege to read Tim Buckley??

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    In reading this article and quotes from Fields, it still amazes me how so many kids come to a college program not understanding realistic expectations. This is not a knock on Fields as it is a persistent theme these days with young players hence the importance of the transfer portal but to be ____ed about running the scout team in your freshman year when we are really deep at QB especially when you were not a heavily recruited player at least at the D-1 level is surprising to me. I know you certainly need confidence in yourself but I'm just surprised more kids aren't willing to be patient when it comes to playing time.
    So you want kids to be ok with running a scout team? I would want my kids ____ed off that they are running scout team and hopefully that would drive them to continue to get better.

try incognito tab...or a different computer.. total starts over every month i think

now they can transfer without ever again sitting out i suppose. so theres that, thanks again ncaa. not sure what exactly about a portal magically alleviated all the previous reasons why transfers had to sit out

Quote Originally Posted by RougaWhite&Blue View Post
    now they can transfer without ever again sitting out i suppose. so theres that, thanks again ncaa. not sure what exactly about a portal magically alleviated all the previous reasons why transfers had to sit out
    Just making all the sports with the same rules. It's a one time transfer without sitting out.

In high school, he just had to get the ball to Koi Moore or run. Fields has come a long way.

That said we need to get him on the field in some position. Portal is too tempting nowadays. Nicholls would be my bet if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Just making all the sports with the same rules. It's a one time transfer without sitting out.
    That is the way it should be. Coaches job hop all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    That is the way it should be. Coaches job hop all the time.
    I actually think a one time transfer would be OK, while a second transfer require you to sit a year unless there is a very special reason for an exemption like a serious illness in the family.

The one thing I would look at is how this could affect a teams APR rating as an early plan to leave could impact your class attendance or grades for some athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    So you want kids to be ok with running a scout team? I would want my kids ____ed off that they are running scout team and hopefully that would drive them to continue to get better.
    Did I say that? No, I don't want a kid here to just play around. I want a kid who wants to improve and get better but it also means having perspective and realizing that you are a freshman in a crowded position with upperclassmen. That's why I also noted the transfer portal as a means for guys to quickly jump out of a situation early if they are not going to be the man.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I much rather a freshman come in with the mindset of playing scout team as disappointing than believing that’s where he will be, especially at QB
    Attitude and approach wise yes but unfortunately these days too many of those kids take that attitude and transfer because they don't have perspective of the situation they are in.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I actually think a one time transfer would be OK, while a second transfer require you to sit a year unless there is a very special reason for an exemption like a serious illness in the family.

The one thing I would look at is how this could affect a teams APR rating as an early plan to leave could impact your class attendance or grades for some athletes.
    This shouldn't be difficult at all. A player should have to be academically eligible to transfer, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    This shouldn't be difficult at all. A player should have to be academically eligible to transfer, IMO.
    eligible to transfer, yes, great point... but once transferred how do they remain eligible if all course credits dont always transfer.... used to seem hard to transfer credits, but i guess more strings get pulled for athletes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information