Thread: Lowest Seed In NCAA Tourney

UL Basketball Lowest Seed In NCAA Tourney

So Appalachian St is lowest seed in the tourney this year. Good for them but reflects badly for the conference. Still don't understand why a one bid conference invites all 12 of its teams to its conference tournament. Tourism dollars for host city? We're stuck with this Pensacola format four 4 more years. What's the point of a one bid conference having a tournament anyway? If this year's regular season champ, TX St wins it probably doesn't advance their seeding. So what's the point?

Default Re: Lowest Seed In NCAA Tourney

If you're gonna have a tournament in a one bid league, I like the way the Southland does it. Give the top finishers from the regular season a bye into the semis and make the lower finishers duke it out to get there. Give the regular season champ the best shot at getting the automatic bid.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    So Appalachian St is lowest seed in the tourney this year. Good for them but reflects badly for the conference. Still don't understand why a one bid conference invites all 12 of its teams to its conference tournament. Tourism dollars for host city? We're stuck with this Pensacola format four 4 more years. What's the point of a one bid conference having a tournament anyway? If this year's regular season champ, TX St wins it probably doesn't advance their seeding. So what's the point?
    Agree having a tournament is stupid in the SBC . the regular season champion should advance that way a strong OCS can boost them past a 15/ 16 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Had we played a normal season, I believe Georgia State would have won the league vs Texas State. Panthers were the most complete team. Note they beat Georgia Tech, ACC tournament champions earlier in the year. They would be in the NIT in my view in a normal year as the regular season champion that does not win the tournament automatically goes to the NIT without Covid. It is the life of a mid major league to risk having your best team get beat by a team that simply gets hot from outside on a given day.

Also, playing in the First Four is an advantage in the financial aspect. Reason is you get a full share of the revenue for every game you play. Of course App has to win against Norfolk State for that to happen. Believe me, in this environment of budget deficits, our presidents are not unhappy with the situation. Granted that is all predicated on App State winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Also, playing in the First Four is an advantage in the financial aspect. Reason is you get a full share of the revenue for every game you play. Of course App has to win against Norfolk State for that to happen. Believe me, in this environment of budget deficits, our presidents are not unhappy with the situation. Granted that is all predicated on App State winning.
    App is a -2.5 dog.

Credit to App, they have Georgia State's number. 3-1 this year. Just a bad match up for the Panthers. And Georgia State beat Ga Tech...and their NET is around 120.

There is talk on TOS about the SBC becoming a one bid baseball league when their season starts later. When all this happens and pretty much 99% of G-5 teams regardless of sport is just jockying for conference tournament position. And you get the mess like we have today.

Been some heated posts here regarding our basketball situation. The simple idea the presidents are happy with the play in game says a lot. Tournament/bowl money drives the ship, not putting your best product out there. Or investing seriously in basketball as a league. And that's why SBC basketball can't have a team break into the top 100 of the NET.

Baseball is looking like a one bid league this year. Records and rpi are terrible across the conference. The west is considerable worse then the east at this point. Cajuns would probably have to win 2/3 of their games to finish in the top 75 of the rpi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Baseball is looking like a one bid league this year. Records and rpi are terrible across the conference. The west is considerable worse then the east at this point. Cajuns would probably have to win 2/3 of their games to finish in the top 75 of the rpi.
    Can’t make the top 75 even winning out from here. SBC schedule is a RPI killer.

It all comes down to 3-4 days in May.

Baseball, welcome to basketball hell.

Better chance of getting a tournament win that counts. Basically .01 chance of doing anything else after that.

Good job App State for at least covering the spread. Two shots in the closing seconds, neither was close enough to have a prayer.

At least they won't get torn a new one by the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Good job App State for at least covering the spread. Two shots in the closing seconds, neither was close enough to have a prayer.

At least they won't get torn a new one by the Zags.
    App would have lost by 50 next round

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    App would have lost by 50 next round
    I know there are some that say "at least they made the tournament" and I get it.

However, I got home tonight and watched some of the ugliest basketball I ever witnessed in a NCAA tournament game. What is exciting watching two men's team tank like HS WBB for long stretches?

Thread Information