Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Men’s Basketball

UL Basketball Men’s Basketball

Now that the season is over it’s time that we move on from Bob Marlin. Marlin has been the HC for 11 years, of those 11 years we have made the Sun Belt Championship game one time and Sun Belt outright champion one time. Over 11 years we have had 2 successful seasons. One resulting in an NIT berth and one March Madness berth. Each time losing in the first round.

Now, that’s pretty damning in itself, but here is the kicker, Marlin has proclaimed the Cajuns to be the class of the Sun Belt. Best facilities in the Belt, highest paid coach in the Belt, top recruiting classes in the Belt. We are everyone’s biggest game and get their best shot. Criticized Billy Napier’s accomplishments as being marginal because the Belts West division is weak. Made just about every excuse in the book for sub par performance.

Some prognosticators will come to defend him, calling out Marlin haters. The truth is Men’s Basketball is the only program at this university which strives for mediocrity. Marlin schedules to meet contract incentives. Which is why he can go 17-9 and still have a 185+ NET ranking. He has only had 2 seasons where the Cajuns have finished in the top 100 RPI/NET rankings and never above the Top 75.

Basketball attendance is absolutely putrid. I don’t want to hear that basketball in the south is dead. That’s simply an excuse for ____ poor attendance. Max capacity for the Cajun Done under COVID rules is 3300 for the lower bowl and double that for opening the entire upper level. Yet we averaged roughly 400 people a game. That is apathy from a fan base at best. If you want to talk about ROI, at the rate of current average attendance it would take around 115 home games to pay for 1 year of Marlins salary.

2 good seasons doesn’t warrant a fricken decade long tenure. We are bleeding money from basketball. In this economic environment we just can’t afford to not make a move. Not to mention, Marlin has underperformed in 82% of his tenure.

Flat out pathetic.

2. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

And unless this analysis comes with a big buyout check, nothing will happen. The university does not have the money for the buyout.

Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    And unless this analysis comes with a big buyout check, nothing will happen. The university does not have the money for the buyout.
    Xanax cures a lot of things.

4. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Any business knows lost revenue can be more than a bad contract. We, the university, chose to reinvest in a coach with zero suitors. I simply refuse to accept no money to buy out a revenue draining contract. I don’t know where they’re getting the money to keep him, clearly not from generated revenue.

His buyout is a fraction of his salary. I may be mistaken, but I think it’s less than $200k

6. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

We have been discussing the same thing on Twitter. @VermilionNwhite
    3 previous coaches before Coach Marlin

1)Marty Fletcher
    176-146 1986-1997
    2 NCAA appearances

2)Jesse Evans
    132-81 1997-2004
    2 NCAA appearances
    2 NIT appearances
    Won 20 games at least 4 times

3)Robert Lee
    80-100 2004-2010

5 NCAA appearances in 35 years? Yeah I know there was another one that doesn't count. But basically 1 every 7 years? Expectations definitely need to be much higher. Since Coach Marlin took over for the 2010-2011 season, Louisiana is 204-151 overall 119-82 in conference. 3 CIT appearances, 1 NIT appearance and 1 NCAA appearance (2014). Is this enough? For me, the lack of conference championships and NCAA appearances says no.

So? It's therapeutic to be able to discuss our opinions on this issue. It can be argued that everything said here doesn't really affect decisions the university makes but people spend hours a day doing it here..lol

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    His buyout is a fraction of his salary. I may be mistaken, but I think it’s less than $200k
    I think next year its closer to $100k but not certain.

Now that the season is over it’s time that we move on from Bob Marlin. Marlin has been the HC for 11 years, of those 11 years we have made the Sun Belt Championship game one time and Sun Belt outright champion one time. Over 11 years we have had 2 successful seasons. One resulting in an NIT berth and one March Madness berth. Each time losing in the first round.

Now, that’s pretty damning in itself, but here is the kicker, Marlin has proclaimed the Cajuns to be the class of the Sun Belt. Best facilities in the Belt, highest paid coach in the Belt, top recruiting classes in the Belt. We are everyone’s biggest game and get their best shot. Criticized Billy Napier’s accomplishments as being marginal because the Belts West division is weak. Made just about every excuse in the book for sub par performance.

Some prognosticators will come to defend him, calling out Marlin haters. The truth is Men’s Basketball is the only program at this university which strives for mediocrity. Marlin schedules to meet contract incentives. Which is why he can go 17-9 and still have a 185+ NET ranking. He has only had 2 seasons where the Cajuns have finished in the top 100 RPI/NET rankings and never above the Top 75.

Basketball attendance is absolutely putrid. I don’t want to hear that basketball in the south is dead. That’s simply an excuse for ____ poor attendance. Max capacity for the Cajun Done under COVID rules is 3300 for the lower bowl and double that for opening the entire upper level. Yet we averaged roughly 400 people a game. That is apathy from a fan base at best. If you want to talk about ROI, at the rate of current average attendance it would take around 115 home games to pay for 1 year of Marlins salary.

2 good seasons doesn’t warrant a fricken decade long tenure. We are bleeding money from basketball. In this economic environment we just can’t afford to not make a move. Not to mention, Marlin has underperformed in 82% of his tenure.

Flat out pathetic.
    Agreed completely. We've seen results of when he has talented teams and when he doesn't and those results are somewhat similar. His upside is just not there.

I’ve been having season tix for about 30 years and I’m done till Marlin is gone. I think he is a solid in game coach but his teams are boring to watch. Recruiting is not his strong suit. And I am tired of seeing the same teams come to the Cajundome. Just need a fresh start all around...

Quote Originally Posted by du42 View Post
    I’ve been having season tix for about 30 years and I’m done till Marlin is gone. I think he is a solid in game coach but his teams are boring to watch. Recruiting is not his strong suit. And I am tired of seeing the same teams come to the Cajundome. Just need a fresh start all around...
    30 year season ticket holder, eh?

The question is how many more are there like you? From the people I have spoken to, it seems like that number is growing.

12. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Swamphound View Post
    We have been discussing the same thing on Twitter. @VermilionNwhite
    3 previous coaches before Coach Marlin

1)Marty Fletcher
    176-146 1986-1997
    2 NCAA appearances

2)Jesse Evans
    132-81 1997-2004
    2 NCAA appearances
    2 NIT appearances
    Won 20 games at least 4 times

3)Robert Lee
    80-100 2004-2010

5 NCAA appearances in 35 years? Yeah I know there was another one that doesn't count. But basically 1 every 7 years? Expectations definitely need to be much higher. Since Coach Marlin took over for the 2010-2011 season, Louisiana is 204-151 overall 119-82 in conference. 3 CIT appearances, 1 NIT appearance and 1 NCAA appearance (2014). Is this enough? For me, the lack of conference championships and NCAA appearances says no.
    CIT aren’t,IMO, anything except an excuse to practice. Sorry about that.

Flat out pathetic.
    Me and Vobserver both approve of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So? It's therapeutic to be able to discuss our opinions on this issue. It can be argued that everything said here doesn't really affect decisions the university makes but people spend hours a day doing it here..lol
    Some posters troll all day long, they have to much time on there hands. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    30 year season ticket holder, eh?

The question is how many more are there like you? From the people I have spoken to, it seems like that number is growing.
    The old adage rings true here fans fire coaches

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information