Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Men’s Basketball

Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Most of the lackluster teams are from the SBC. One or even two OOC big wins can’t offset the train wreck the SBC bottom is that we have to play.

NOBODY has succeeded in the SBC as we both would like because everybody cannot get on board. And they’re not. UTA and LR would be the last to want this, that brass ring has been theirs for the taking. I know we can’t boot them, but when realignment happens, it’s bye bye time.

Step away from the forest you’ll find the trees.
    Again, we can say the same for softball. Besides us, which team in our conference is really close to where we are? It's almost the same issue, yet we live inside the Top 25. I'm not disagreeing with you that our conference is poor. But if we are finishing lower than 4th place, what does that say about us? Are we supposed to just settle for being average? If anything, this is our opportunity to run away from the rest of the conference. We need to worry about us. If other schools do not want to show commitment, that's on them.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Yep. If you're going to have those types of schedule results, you better be playing in a damned good conference. I mean, Marlin just got the most wins in SBC history but it took him 11 seasons to get it. I mean,that's barely 50% winning in just conference and in a poor conference at that.
    It's a cool kudos, but that does not warrant an argument against fans that want a change. "Well, he is the winningest Sun Belt Coach." Wrong. He's won the most games which is partly due to being the 8th longest tenured coach in Sun Belt history. But here's some other facts compared to other Sun Belt coaches:

-He's 1 of 9 coaches in Sun Belt history who has coached 10+ years. (4th in winning % of the 9)
    -Tied for 5th out of those 9 coaches in NCAA Appearances
    -Tied for 6th out of those 9 coaches in NCAA and NIT Appearances
    -28th all time in winning % in the Sun Belt (57% at UL; 55% at UL against D1); hence, he is not the winningest coach in the Sun Belt
    -Average finish of 4th or 5th place with one postseason appearance every 5 years
    -One Sun Belt tournament finals appearance in 11 years
    -Has won more than a single game in the SBC tournament only once
    -Highest paid coach in the conference

So before the defenders come on and try to spin what I just posted, this is straight up data that I pulled from a database. I understand the administration makes the decisions, but based on this info that I found, would most fans think this is good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    It's a cool kudos, but that does not warrant an argument against fans that want a change. "Well, he is the winningest Sun Belt Coach." Wrong. He's won the most games which is partly due to being the 8th longest tenured coach in Sun Belt history. But here's some other facts compared to other Sun Belt coaches:

-He's 1 of 9 coaches in Sun Belt history who has coached 10+ years. (4th in winning % of the 9)
    -28th all time in winning % in the Sun Belt (57% at UL; 55% at UL against D1); hence, he is not the winningest coach in the Sun Belt
    -Average finish of 4th or 5th place with one postseason appearance every 5 years

So before people the defenders come on and try to spin what I just posted, this is straight up data that I pulled from a database. I understand the administration makes the decisions, but based on this info that I found, would most fans think this is good enough?
    A closer inspection of his accomplishments in the SBC.

So before people the defenders come on and try to spin what I just posted, this is straight up data that I pulled from a database. I understand the administration makes the decisions, but based on this info that I found, would most fans think this is good enough?
    Please stop you are killing the narrative. Marlin's possy might be having a strong word with you again.

It is the SBC standard. Kermit Davis, whose record Marlin broke, also took 11 years to set the record. He also got his first NCAA invite in his 11th year. Now Davis did go a few more times before leaving MTSU for Ole Miss.

I simply think it's time to freshen the pot so to speak. Sometimes it is just time for a change.

It is the SBC standard. Kermit Davis, whose record Marlin broke, also took 11 years to set the record. He also got his first NCAA invite in his 11th year. Now Davis did go a few more times before leaving MTSU for Ole Miss.

I simply think it's time to freshen the pot so to speak. Sometimes it is just time for a change.
    Davis also made the NIT Quarterfinals in Year 10, made it to the NCAA Round of 32 in Years 13 and 14 with an NIT Second round berth in Year 16.

During Davis' Round of 32 runs, here were the Conference RPI Rankings:

2016- CUSA- 21; Sun Belt-17
    2017- CUSA- 23; Sun Belt-13

So Davis accomplished those IN SPITE of being a conference weaker than the Sun Belt. If Marlin were to stay a little longer, can we expect him to give us those same results? Odds are most likely no. Like you said, it's just time to "freshen the pot."

Davis also made the NIT Quarterfinals in Year 10, made it to the NCAA Round of 32 in Years 13 and 14 with an NIT Second round berth in Year 16.

During Davis' Round of 32 runs, here were the Conference RPI Rankings:

2016- CUSA- 21; Sun Belt-17
    2017- CUSA- 23; Sun Belt-13

So Davis accomplished those IN SPITE of being a conference weaker than the Sun Belt. If Marlin were to stay a little longer, can we expect him to give us those same results? Odds are most likely no. Like you said, it's just time to "freshen the pot."
    It's just time to make the NCAAs again. I'm not stupid enough to think with already Georgia State being dedicated more than the rest of us or UTA "all in to be the next Gonzaga" and with the beacon of success they have been all of a sudden UL is going to do better? Nope. But we can be better than we have been. Cheaper? That is to be seen. I'd hope to have a contract more weighted to success with low risk high reward with safeguards for NCAA regulations.

It's just time to make the NCAAs again. I'm not stupid enough to think with already Georgia State being dedicated more than the rest of us or UTA "all in to be the next Gonzaga" and with the beacon of success they have been all of a sudden UL is going to do better? Nope. But we can be better than we have been. Cheaper? That is to be seen. I'd hope to have a contract more weighted to success with low risk high reward with safeguards for NCAA regulations.
    Going all in while paying middle of the road money. Marlin fan club keeps bringing up UTA's Cross was a. 500 coach and has done nothing special at Troy.As for UTA their AD made a buddy hire who has gone .500

Some good news for a couple of players. Cedric Russell makes first team all conference while Theo Awkuba named defensive player of the year for the SBC. Congratulations to both.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Some good news for a couple of players. Cedric Russell makes first team all conference while Theo Awkuba named defensive player of the year for the SBC. Congratulations to both.
    Which makes what Marlin did this year, such a disappointment. He had talent this year. He had his defensive big in the middle which is always what he says was his issue in years past.

What’s there to justify? It’s ok to continue the projected path of basketball limbo while the other 99% of our fanbase has already cashed out? That’s the cold hard facts. It has nothing to do with me alone.

Has ZERO to do with being a Marlin fan (which I am not). Has 100% to do with over the past few years individuals on this site saying we need to do what UTA did. And some here ran to Cross' defense when he was fired at UTA. No need to name names, I am just enjoying the humor and hypocrisy of it all.

Has ZERO to do with being a Marlin fan (which I am not). Has 100% to do with over the past few years individuals on this site saying we need to do what UTA did. And some here ran to Cross' defense when he was fired at UTA. No need to name names, I am just enjoying the humor and hypocrisy of it all.
    What about Shields at Little Rock why no one talks about what happened after he got canned.

And then you have App state so a 67% chance it works out.

14. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    What about App state ?
    They are the jewel but nobody knows it.

They never have that bullseye on their back.

All they do is win.

But now they will have a fine gym so watch out.

Whether it is UTA or Georgia State, when I say "separate ourselves," I don't mean throw all of this ton of money into the program. The problem is that we are already doing that. We have the highest paid coach in the league with an arena that went through a full makeover a few years ago. We have everything we need right this minute to win championships consistently in this conference. That's where the frustration comes from with the fans. Georgia State recruits to a glorified high school gym. Little Rock is like a twin sister to UNO. They have both been to the tournament more recently than we have.

There is obviously something not going right with what we are currently doing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information