Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Men’s Basketball

Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Mike, that’s the problem, the coaches think what they are doing is good enough. They don’t understand why, us as fans, are ____ed off. To them the status quo is good enough.

I want to see this program consistently finish in the top 100 NET/RPI rankings.

Marlin has done that once. I believe his 27 win season we finished at 81 in RPI. That tells you what kind of performance we need to get with his terrible schedules.

Is finishing the season in the top 1/3rd of D1 basketball too much to ask?
    With a 17-9 record, our NET ranking as of today is 191. Two of those wins don't even count so they're measuring a 15-9 record.

"But we still won 17 games." Yeah, well our power rating is in the bottom half of all of D1. And that includes SOS which brings me to my question: is 17-9 underachievement based on the teams that we played and our talent level?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Dr. Savoie is involved with this decision as well as the AD. You are correct in that eventually fan unrest may force a change. Notice I said eventually. Posts here likely won't impact things NOW. Of course people on staff don't think like fans. They believe they can turn it around with continued development of guys brought in past year and the addition of a couple of talented players. Current players also think they can take a step forward. That is not unique to here. Every coach in America thinks the same way.
    If renewals drop below 40% a change will be made in a second. Recruits like Thomas won't move the needle .Marlin can't load up on transfers to bail him out this time. plus coaches using his contract and fan apathy as ammunition. Fire him now or in 12 month the outcome will be the same. I for one rather save the fanbase than an average coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    If renewals drop below 40% a change will be made in a second.
    So you’re telling me if season tickets renewals drop 40% from what they were this year then he’s gone?

Also, how many season tickets did we actually sell?

Mike, that’s the problem, the coaches think what they are doing is good enough. They don’t understand why, us as fans, are ____ed off. To them the status quo is good enough.

I want to see this program consistently finish in the top 100 NET/RPI rankings.

Marlin has done that once. I believe his 27 win season we finished at 81 in RPI. That tells you what kind of performance we need to get with his terrible schedules.

Is finishing the season in the top 1/3rd of D1 basketball too much to ask?
    Top 100 NET rating cannot happen consistently even for the SBC champion. This year Georgia State finished 128. The regular season champion Texas State finished 156. App the tournament champ rolls in with a solid 210.

2018-19, Ga State was 121. Only 2020 I found had Texas State at 120. I won’t bother going further back (RPI days).

Even sub 100 means absolutely nothing unless you are in the 40’s in a bubble position.

Either every conference member gets serious or it just doesn’t matter. It took Gonzaga with all the private money and fellow members decades to get serious where they became multiple bid recipients.

So you’re telling me if season tickets renewals drop 40% from what they were this year then he’s gone?

Also, how many season tickets did we actually sell?
    How can you ?

It's what did in Bustle , Hud and Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Top 100 NET rating cannot happen consistently even for the SBC champion. This year Georgia State finished 128. The regular season champion Texas State finished 156. App the tournament champ rolls in with a solid 210.

2018-19, Ga State was 121. I won’t bother going further back.

Even sub 100 means absolutely nothing unless you are in the 40’s in a bubble position.

Either every conference member gets serious or it just doesn’t matter. It took Gonzaga with all the private money and fellow members decades to get serious where they became multiple bid recipients.
    Step One is to dominate our conference and separate ourselves from everyone else. If anyone needs an example on how to do that, look no further than across the street at Yvette Girouard Field. In softball, our conference is very "meh." That doesn't stop us from living inside the Top 25. If that's the case, then softball would not be in the Top 25.

Now, before I get the "softball is different than basketball," I'm not saying to get into the Top 25 in basketball. I'm saying that we have the resources necessary to be in contention every single year for a conference title. The last three years we have finished 5th, 8th, and tied for 4th. That's nowhere near our standard.

Heck, take a look at football. We play in the "weak" Sun Belt West (obviously not as strong as the Sun Belt West in basketball), and yet we are #15 in the nation.

We can't continue to scapegoat our conference for being average. If anything, that is ripe for the picking with what we are capable of.

7. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    If renewals drop below 40% a change will be made in a second. Recruits like Thomas won't move the needle .Marlin can't load up on transfers to bail him out this time. plus coaches using his contract and fan apathy as ammunition. Fire him now or in 12 month the outcome will be the same. I for one rather save the fanbase than an average coach.
    I’ve posted this exact post since like 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I’ve posted this exact post since like 2015
    Exactly....if we don't move on, every year will be the same book just a different chapter.

Training Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Step One is to dominate our conference and separate ourselves from everyone else. If anyone needs an example on how to do that, look no further than across the street at Yvette Girouard Field. In softball, our conference is very "meh." That doesn't stop us from living inside the Top 25. If that's the case, then softball would not be in the Top 25.

Now, before I get the "softball is different than basketball," I'm not saying to get into the Top 25 in basketball. I'm saying that we have the resources necessary to be in contention every single year for a conference title. The last three years we have finished 5th, 8th, and tied for 4th. That's nowhere near our standard.

Heck, take a look at football. We play in the "weak" Sun Belt West (obviously not as strong as the Sun Belt West in basketball), and yet we are #15 in the nation.

We can't continue to scapegoat our conference for being average. If anything, that is ripe for the picking with what we are capable of.
    Regarding step 1, didn’t UTA fire the most successful coach in their history to become “the next Gonzaga” per their president? How’s that working out? The Zags needed fellow members to buy in, they have not none it solely on their name. Softball might of had the #1 RPI last year, but everyone knew no slip ups in conference play was the next goal.

We won’t even touch the transfer portal, transfers were a nightmare before the portal.

Regarding step 1, didn’t UTA fire the most successful coach in their history to become “the next Gonzaga” per their president? How’s that working out? The Zags needed fellow members to buy in, they have not none it solely on their name. Softball might of had the #1 RPI last year, but everyone knew no slip ups in conference play was the next goal.

We won’t even touch the transfer portal, transfers were a nightmare before the portal.
    To begin taking action requires a mindset. Our mindset is to schedule lackluster teams, pad up our record, and then the tell the public how great we are. In essence, we create window dressing without actually bringing forth any substance. Finishing in the middle of the pack in this conference where there is real no “dominant” team is on us and no one else.

App fired there how's that working out for them

Oh they are dancing

12. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

To begin taking action requires a mindset. Our mindset is to schedule lackluster teams, pad up our record, and then the tell the public how great we are. In essence, we create window dressing without actually bringing forth any substance. Finishing in the middle of the pack in this conference where there is real no “dominant” team is on us and no one else.
    .....My take has been the situation of our program and the tools given to recruit with....Napier constantly points out the things of necessity to win and praises the administration for giving them to the football program.....so what is not given to the basketball team not to win....there is the performance center, the practice gym, the Dome to play games in ......I guess some more things needed for success and maybe some we don’t have...but bottom line, if given the tools, you need to produce.....so what is missing/needed for our not performing to desired level???

Most of the lackluster teams are from the SBC. One or even two OOC big wins can’t offset the train wreck the SBC bottom is that we have to play.

NOBODY has succeeded in the SBC as we both would like because everybody cannot get on board. And they’re not. UTA and LR would be the last to want this, that brass ring has been theirs for the taking. I know we can’t boot them, but when realignment happens, it’s bye bye time.

Step away from the forest you’ll find the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Ability to watch virtually every game in some fashion has also impacted fans with the same view as yourself. They still follow the program but don't in the ways of the past.
    I would definitely agree. I said I haven't been to a game in several years but I don't miss them either. I watch every one of them that is televised.

Yep. If you're going to have those types of schedule results, you better be playing in a damned good conference. I mean, Marlin just got the most wins in SBC history but it took him 11 seasons to get it. I mean,that's barely 50% winning in just conference and in a poor conference at that.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information