Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Men’s Basketball

Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So? It's therapeutic to be able to discuss our opinions on this issue. It can be argued that everything said here doesn't really affect decisions the university makes but people spend hours a day doing it here..lol
    I think everyone knows no change is coming now. I agree with Zephyr however in that there is no harm in people venting frustration. That serves a purpose in itself. That is why message boards exist to some degree. Have changed my view on this last few years. Just don’t expect that venting to actually impact any decisions, At least for now. I doubt many people believe these threads do impact decisions. It is simply people expressing their opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I doubt many people believe these threads do impact decisions. It is simply people expressing their opinion.
    Venting is good, builds up excitement for next year’s venting regardless what happens. Remember, if BM wins a championship, contract gets extended.

Now if someone has a fat checkbook has an opinion, I’m sure their venting wound not be here but behind closed doors.

Every fan base vents. Georgia State isn’t a happy bunch, they miss Scooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamphound View Post
    We have been discussing the same thing on Twitter. @VermilionNwhite
    3 previous coaches before Coach Marlin

1)Marty Fletcher
    176-146 1986-1997
    2 NCAA appearances

2)Jesse Evans
    132-81 1997-2004
    2 NCAA appearances
    2 NIT appearances
    Won 20 games at least 4 times

3)Robert Lee
    80-100 2004-2010

5 NCAA appearances in 35 years? Yeah I know there was another one that doesn't count. But basically 1 every 7 years? Expectations definitely need to be much higher. Since Coach Marlin took over for the 2010-2011 season, Louisiana is 204-151 overall 119-82 in conference. 3 CIT appearances, 1 NIT appearance and 1 NCAA appearance (2014). Is this enough? For me, the lack of conference championships and NCAA appearances says no.
    If your taking Lee’s Tournament appearance away then Evan’s should just have one listed. Greene played in both of those seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Venting is good, builds up excitement for next year’s venting regardless what happens. Remember, if BM wins a championship, contract gets extended.

Now if someone has a fat checkbook has an opinion, I’m sure their venting wound not be here but behind closed doors.

Every fan base vents. Georgia State isn’t a happy bunch, they miss Scooter.
    Who's going to pay for his salary when ticket sales drop below 1,000 ? there were several games of maybe 100 people this year....Will only get worse

5. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

At some point the lost money is greater than the cost money

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    At some point the lost money is greater than the cost money
    You got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    If your taking Lee’s Tournament appearance away then Evan’s should just have one listed. Greene played in both of those seasons.
    Which was 100% on the compliance department. It wasn’t Jessie’s or Robert Lee’s fault. The compliance office cleared Orien Green to play after taking an online class, which today would be legal.

8. Default Re: Men’s Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Which was 100% on the compliance department. It wasn’t Jessie’s or Robert Lee’s fault. The compliance office cleared Orien Green to play after taking an online class, which today would be legal.
    Exactly right.

Remember when there was no way Dr.A would move on from Baldwin. Well guess what Fans forced his hand. If enough dust is kicked up Maggard will have no choice but to move on. I will continue to do my part until next November.

Quote Originally Posted by du42 View Post
    I’ve been having season tix for about 30 years and I’m done till Marlin is gone. I think he is a solid in game coach but his teams are boring to watch. Recruiting is not his strong suit. And I am tired of seeing the same teams come to the Cajundome. Just need a fresh start all around...
    I had season tickets for a number of years but have been going to cajun games since I was a kid. It was one of those things where we didn't miss home games. My dad and I went to every one of them,even if we had games right before the cajun games. I don't care if the coach employs a boring type of play or not as long as we are building something and I don't think he's a solid in game coach. Anyway, I haven't gone to a game in the last couple of years and certainly won't be buying season tickets until Marlin is gone. We know what we're getting with him and its not a championship caliber program yet we continue to pay him the highest of any coach in our league.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Exactly right.
    Unless it happens under Bob Marlin. We all know it would be his fault.

Just sayin'.

I get it. I gave up tickets with Fletcher after awhile after not missing but one game since the death penalty. But I walked away. I didn't make it my life mission to beat the issue like a rented mule. When I quit going, I quit the program. Life was better not agonizing over the performance of 18-23 yo and the clown car coach.

Tried Jessie, did nothing for me. Health then intervened. I’ve been like CM since. Came back on my terms. I accepted the 70-80’s were not coming back. I now enjoy the players, their efforts and occasional display of freak athleticism.

That’s what I like about college ball. Every few years you can yell “Yahtzee” and all new players...and sometimes a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Malkinson View Post
    Remember when there was no way Dr.A would move on from Baldwin. Well guess what Fans forced his hand. If enough dust is kicked up Maggard will have no choice but to move on. I will continue to do my part until next November.
    Dr. Savoie is involved with this decision as well as the AD. You are correct in that eventually fan unrest may force a change. Notice I said eventually. Posts here likely won't impact things NOW. Of course people on staff don't think like fans. They believe they can turn it around with continued development of guys brought in past year and the addition of a couple of talented players. Current players also think they can take a step forward. That is not unique to here. Every coach in America thinks the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I had season tickets for a number of years but have been going to cajun games since I was a kid. It was one of those things where we didn't miss home games. My dad and I went to every one of them,even if we had games right before the cajun games. I don't care if the coach employs a boring type of play or not as long as we are building something and I don't think he's a solid in game coach. Anyway, I haven't gone to a game in the last couple of years and certainly won't be buying season tickets until Marlin is gone. We know what we're getting with him and its not a championship caliber program yet we continue to pay him the highest of any coach in our league.
    Ability to watch virtually every game in some fashion has also impacted fans with the same view as yourself. They still follow the program but don't in the ways of the past.

Dr. Savoie is involved with this decision as well as the AD. You are correct in that eventually fan unrest may force a change. Notice I said eventually. Posts here likely won't impact things NOW. Of course people on staff don't think like fans. They believe they can turn it around with continued development of guys brought in past year and the addition of a couple of talented players. Current players also think they can take a step forward. That is not unique to here. Every coach in America thinks the same way.
    Mike, that’s the problem, the coaches think what they are doing is good enough. They don’t understand why, us as fans, are ____ed off. To them the status quo is good enough.

I want to see this program consistently finish in the top 100 NET/RPI rankings.

Marlin has done that once. I believe his 27 win season we finished at 81 in RPI. That tells you what kind of performance we need to get with his terrible schedules.

Is finishing the season in the top 1/3rd of D1 basketball too much to ask?

Ability to watch virtually every game in some fashion has also impacted fans with the same view as yourself. They still follow the program but don't in the ways of the past.
    Nothing can compare to actually being at the game. Especially when they are putting an exciting product on the floor. We have some exciting player who are misused, they have not been put in a position to dominate games.

Put a product on the floor like Jessie Evan’s did or like FGCU had on their ncaa run. That product would have 4500 in the done again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information