Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MBB: Cajuns' comeback felt better, but what does future hold?

Default Re: MBB: Cajuns' comeback felt better, but what does future hold?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    T, I've seen him play a lot and even coached my son against him years ago and I'm familiar with him. I agree about the quickness and I think that's probably the knock on him especially with Covid and likely a lack of visits by coaches, they are only going by what they see on Maxpreps or measurables. I would offer though that I don't know how much slower he is than say a Russell and I'm sure covering some of the quicker guys out there could be troublesome but Au was able to go out there and guard guys and there's no way he's got better quickness than Carter.
    He’s plenty quick. He’s quicker than au and Russell

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    My initial thought is that I think you are correct. My understanding is that he's played on the state's best AAU team out of New Orleans as their starting PG and has outperformed many he's gone up against. I think he's obviously quicker than Au. Not sure about Russell but he would be similar if he's not quick and Russell is at least able to guard at this level. I just think that's the recruiting knock on Carter whether its accurate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    He's definitely quicker than AU, but he is not a nature PG either. He should be a 2G, he can't guard quicker PG's in the SBC. I'm not certain I agree that he is quicker than Russell, who I've seen run full court a number of times over the past 4 seasons.

But the bottom line is MBB needs an experienced PG, he has too many wing players including Harrison that are not natural handling the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    He's definitely quicker than AU, but he is not a nature PG either. He should be a 2G, he can't guard quicker PG's in the SBC. I'm not certain I agree that he is quicker than Russell, who I've seen run full court a number of times over the past 4 seasons.

But the bottom line is MBB needs an experienced PG, he has too many wing players including Harrison that are not natural handling the ball.
    Think you meant Harper when you typed Harrison. As far as Domingue is concerned, STM has a playoff game in CajunDome tomorrow night. There is an opportunity for many to watch him play.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Think you meant Harper when you typed Harrison. As far as Domingue is concerned, STM has a playoff game in CajunDome tomorrow night. There is an opportunity for many to watch him play.
    I may go watch them play Mike. But there are a number of PGs in the transfer portal that can help this program next season. That's direction I hope we will see before the fall semester.

I may go watch them play Mike. But there are a number of PGs in the transfer portal that can help this program next season. That's direction I hope we will see before the fall semester.
    I agree that the priority will be a guard ready to make a meaningful contribution immediately. That does not mean Domingue will not be brought on board as well.

And that's why I think that Carter could make an impact here because I think he can be more effective as a defender at the PG level than Au and he's a natural PG which Au is not.

Why do we need a PG, if Harper is a top 100 recruit, he may be the only top 100 recruit in the whole CONF.

Quote Originally Posted by BBOYD View Post
    Why do we need a PG, if Harper is a top 100 recruit, he may be the only top 100 recruit in the whole CONF.
    Harper's instinct is to drive to the basket in an attempt to score. He does not pass well yet off of his drives. Recall he was a pure freshman this past season who did not join the team until almost Christmas. He should benefit from a complete off season going forward. Maybe he can develop into a PG role. He was more of a combo guy this year. Late in the season Malik Wilson handled the point guard duties more than either Cedric Russell or Ty Harper

Can't argue X's & O's with you brother, I'm a amateur. But do you think Harper is a Combo Guard, or a true PG. I don't see it, he lacks the instincts of a true PG, but I see your point in development. Now here's my question, is UL a better team with a true experienced PG next season and allowing Harris to develop behind him, or just starting Harris and letting him take his lumps?

I think I look at Harper as a combo guard the same way I look at Russell and Wilson. Yes he has the ability to run the point but will he be at his best doing that or playing off guard? I think Harper can be another Russell type player. He might not be quite as good a shooter but can be close. He is much more athletic and could be better at attacking the basket but Russell got pretty good at finding ways to score in the lane later in his career. I do have to say I think Wilson finally settled into running the point in the conference tournament and he played really well. Wether that is the best option in the future I don’t know. He is not a great outside shooter but he has so many other great intangibles to his game that could be a good fit. If the staff is able to get a “game manager” type PG in the offseason I think there is the talent to fill out the other guard spots between Wilson, Harper, Butts, and a healthy Au.

Can't argue X's & O's with you brother, I'm a amateur. But do you think Harper is a Combo Guard, or a true PG. I don't see it, he lacks the instincts of a true PG, but I see your point in development. Now here's my question, is UL a better team with a true experienced PG next season and allowing Harris to develop behind him, or just starting Harris and letting him take his lumps?
    Honestly, I ain’t watch one game this year. Only followed the ticker. I thought Harper was a PG. I know you guys watched closer then me this year for sure!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I think I look at Harper as a combo guard the same way I look at Russell and Wilson. Yes he has the ability to run the point but will he be at his best doing that or playing off guard? I think Harper can be another Russell type player. He might not be quite as good a shooter but can be close. He is much more athletic and could be better at attacking the basket but Russell got pretty good at finding ways to score in the lane later in his career. I do have to say I think Wilson finally settled into running the point in the conference tournament and he played really well. Wether that is the best option in the future I don’t know. He is not a great outside shooter but he has so many other great intangibles to his game that could be a good fit. If the staff is able to get a “game manager” type PG in the offseason I think there is the talent to fill out the other guard spots between Wilson, Harper, Butts, and a healthy Au.
    Good points!

I like Wilson at the PG, and we need to get 2 more 6’3” to 6’5” Shooters. Real Shooters.

Honestly, I ain’t watch one game this year. Only followed the ticker. I thought Harper was a PG. I know you guys watched closer then me this year for sure!!!
    When you get a chance, watch a replay of the GSU game or video from the season and let us know what you think. My opinion is he is similar to Wilson and more of a combo guard.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information