Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 73, GSU 84

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs Georgia State

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Mike, I thought Harper was a point guard. Who did Marlin recruit for a point guard last year, and the year before, and ... He has had 10 years to recruit point guards. So, you are saying the reason we lost is because Au was injured?
    No, we needed to recruit a better point guard than AU to have more success. Not bringing one ready to play during recruiting last year was a mistake. We did bring in Thomas but he is a long way off from making a meaningful contribution. Perhaps he can by the time he is a junior. AU was playing out of position at point. He was an off guy with a strong perimeter shot in JUCO. Still, he was better than anyone we had at that position so he went with him. Harper may develop into a point guard but he is a pure freshman who only joined the team in December. He seemed to hit the freshman wall late in the year. I still think of him as a combo guy however. His development in off season will be important to the success of the team going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Mike, I thought Harper was a point guard. Who did Marlin recruit for a point guard last year, and the year before, and ... He has had 10 years to recruit point guards. So, you are saying the reason we lost is because Au was injured?
    By the way, we have had Elfrid Payton, Jay Wright, and Marcus Stroman at point the last few years. All were strong contributors. We have been without one of that caliber the last two years. Hopefully that is not the case next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Georgia State big men hitting all the mid range shots was something we could not adjust to in first half. We did a better job containing that in second half but yes champions can adjust during the game regardless of how difficult it is. Check your PM.
    8:40

Agree Georgia STate was quicker team. That was a factor in fouls. However when a guy grabs Russell by the waist and no foul was called you shake your head. Overall, though officials were not the reason the CAjuns lost. Panthers are also more skilled inside as evidenced by their guys hitting mid range shots to give them lead. Game was lost in first half when Cajuns struggled on both sides of court. I was not surprised Cajuns made a run to get back into it as they were not going to go down easily. Also, not surprised they faltered late as too much energy was expended to tie game. Obviously legs were tired at end. That happens commonly in basketball. Momentum was lost when Malik missed 2 free throws with chance to take lead. Still, Wilson was our best overall player in tournament in my view. Obvious a true point guard is needed for team to improve as lack of one is why half court offense struggled at times this year. That will be a focus in spring recruiting.
    So...are you looking forward to yet another Cajun basketball season with Coach Marlin?

No, we needed to recruit a better point guard than AU to have more success. Not bringing one ready to play during recruiting last year was a mistake. We did bring in Thomas but he is a long way off from making a meaningful contribution. Perhaps he can by the time he is a junior. AU was playing out of position at point. He was an off guy with a strong perimeter shot in JUCO. Still, he was better than anyone we had at that position so he went with him. Harper may develop into a point guard but he is a pure freshman who only joined the team in December. He seemed to hit the freshman wall late in the year. I still think of him as a combo guy however. His development in off season will be important to the success of the team going forward.
    I doubt Michael thomas or Wesley are on the team next year.

Can we just pull Eric Mouton out of the broadcast booth and get him back onto the court again instead?

7. UL Basketball Louisiana Basketball Comeback Falls Short, Lose Semifinal 84-73

The Louisiana men's basketball team fell short to Georgia State in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament semifinals after mounting a huge second-half comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    So...are you looking forward to yet another Cajun basketball season with Coach Marlin?
    I look forward to every season regardless who is coach. At my age, don’t know how long I will be able to keep my health strong enough to do so. I enjoy analyzing what happened whether good or bad. I no longer let losses ruin my day or let a victory be the key part of the day. Family time is always priority now. Losing a sibling 10 years younger than I brought that priority into clearer focus.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I doubt Michael thomas or Wesley are on the team next year.
    You are probably right on that but as season just ended I didn’t want to speculate on future of different guys. However now that we have begun that discussion, I will say Spenkuch may not be here either. Trajan may not be on team but if so it may be because he realizes his feet will never allow him to play again.

10. UL Basketball Cajuns Fall Short Against Georgia State In SBC Semis, 84-73

Corey Allen scored 18 of his game-high 21 points in the first half while Eliel Nsoseme broke a 71-all tie to start a decisive 13-2 run to lead Georgia State to an 84-73 win over the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns in the semifinals of the Sun Belt Conference Championships on Sunday at the Pensacola Bay Center.

I look forward to every season regardless who is coach. At my age, don’t know how long I will be able to keep my health strong enough to do so. I enjoy analyzing what happened whether good or bad. I no longer let losses ruin my day or let a victory be the key part of the day. Family time is always priority now. Losing a sibling 10 years younger than I brought that priority into clearer focus.
    Priorities, simple priorities. Everyone gets a turn to learn this lesson, unless God picks you as the subject of the lesson. One of the upsides of this is you enjoy watching more and yelling less. Especially if you were the subject. The blessing and grace of time

Go Cajuns!

Just an outsiders opinion but it appeared to me the recruiting strategy for PG last year was to let the duo of Russell and Wilson share the backcourt because they were both too talented not to start, even though neither one was a true PG. Of cousrse there should have been Wesley to spell them and get a good bit of minutes as well. Thomas was offered as a sophomore and committed early into his Junior season. He was always a long term play and probably would have redshirted if not for the Covid eligibility rule making the redshirt pointless this year. Au was not recruited as a point, but somewhat fell into the role after the way the injury situation played out. Harper wasn’t even part of that plan as his signing was intended for next year. As Mike stated going back to Elfrid there has been a pretty strong string of starting Point Guards up through Stroman.

Good advice about enjoying each and every day as no one is promised the next. This gives me even more reason to want to turn the page on the Marlin era. A change after 10+ years of mediocrity leaves hope that in your lifetime (and my own) we can enjoy March past week 1 in a year that Cajun Basketball fans have something to be excited about.

The data is there to prove that any extension will just cause more delays and getting bounced before the SBC championship game.

Also, how is that excuse that Big Fish Bob made about the SBC teams in the West division being much better than Eastern Division Teams aging? You know, the statement Marlin made a couple of weeks back when he added a slap in the face to the Cajun football program to his list of weekly excuses. It sure seems like the Cajuns were lucky not to play a Western Division schedule this season.

Condolences regarding your sibling who passed away.

14. UL Basketball Georgia State ends UL's men's basketball season after Cajuns' second straight second-half rally

For the second straight day in the Sun Belt Conference Tournament, the UL Ragin’ Cajuns faced a daunting double-digit deficit in the second half.

And for the second straight day, coach Bob Marlin’s club somehow found a spectacular second wind to climb the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Good advice about enjoying each and every day as no one is promised the next. This gives me even more reason to want to turn the page on the Marlin era. A change after 10+ years of mediocrity leaves hope that in your lifetime (and my own) we can enjoy March past week 1 in a year that Cajun Basketball fans have something to be excited about.

The data is there to prove that any extension will just cause more delays and getting bounced before the SBC championship game.

Also, how is that excuse that Big Fish Bob made about the SBC teams in the West division being much better than Eastern Division Teams aging? You know, the statement Marlin made a couple of weeks back when he added a slap in the face to the Cajun football program to his list of weekly excuses. It sure seems like the Cajuns were lucky not to play a Western Division schedule this season.

Condolences regarding your sibling who passed away.
    An extension will not occur now. That will be a decision for next March when only one year will remain on the contract. As I said, I support the program regardless who is the coach. I don't focus on that as I know that is not a factor now. Agree that the statement of the Western division being stronger was not wise. I simply attribute that to frustration at losing to an opponent that you did not expect to. No need to continually harp on that as it serves no purpose at this point. Focus now moves to spring recruiting and individual development of who will return.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information