Thread: Lafayette Parish Libraries

Louisiana Campus Lafayette Parish Libraries

There have been discussions about barring UL & SLCC students who come from outside Lafayette from using the Lafayette libraries. We think we successfully pushed back on that, but there are still efforts to slash the libraries.

It started with a program the LPL did NOT schedule, and was NOT responsible for, the 'Drag Queen Story Time.' That was an outside effort, and it fell within Library rules for usage of the facilities. The Library had no grounds to block it.

But some used it as an opportunity to attack the library. Before a millage renewal a couple of years back, a last-second bulk mailing -- from someone outside of the parish -- claimed that the library had a surplus, and that the millage was waste.

That 'surplus' was money budgeted for library repairs, expansions, and a new library.

The millage failed. Now the library is in a budget squeeze.

The following links to my comments in The Current. Please share with local professionals & business owners as you see fit:

https://thecurrentla.com/2021/letter.and-economics/

Default Re: Lafayette Parish Libraries

The Library Board is just a microcosm of the entire LCG government and the nutcase behind the scenes cabal that runs it. Just when you think they can't get any dumber, they double down.

3. Default Re: Lafayette Parish Libraries

You make a great case Joe.

I kept an LPL card for years from when I lived in Lafayette. If Edith Dupre' didn't have what RaginPagin.com was looking for I would head to LPL on Congress and later both Johnston Street locations

They are an invaluable resource.

LPL has been a great resource for the non-profit that employs me. We've used their conference room for staff trainings and have had no issues. Unfortunately, LCG is a mess and has the library in it's crosshairs.

Very sad. Libraries are so critical to education. We use their App for downloading audio books on long auto trips or flights. Also for genealogy research.

So will they consider banning those of us who live outside of the parish? We may not live in the parish but spend a lot of money there. I utilize the LPL because it is more convenient for me going and coming from work.

Calling all marxist/progressives, calling all marxist/progressives!
    Talk about conflating issues without providing actual facts. No one has ever talked about doing away with libraries or cultural assets. The proper management of same is the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Calling all marxist/progressives, calling all marxist/progressives!
    Talk about conflating issues without providing actual facts. No one has ever talked about doing away with libraries or cultural assets. The proper management of same is the real issue.
    I supplied numerous facts. You did not provide any contrasting facts, nor even counter arguments. You simply ignored them.

Rather than call the rest of us names, why didn't you discuss the issues?

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    Very sad. Libraries are so critical to education. We use their App for downloading audio books on long auto trips or flights. Also for genealogy research.
    We were living in Spain when Covid hit, and my daughter didn't leave the apartment for 50 straight days. The LPL saved her: she was able to download books from across the Atlantic.

It is stated in the article that you bought two cars in Lafayette. When you buy a vehicle, you pay the tax according to your home address so I don't know if those sales had any affect on tax revenue in Lafayette other than providing a profit for the dealership

Is there an area of RP for political discussions?

Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jric116 View Post
    It is stated in the article that you bought two cars in Lafayette. When you buy a vehicle, you pay the tax according to your home address so I don't know if those sales had any affect on tax revenue in Lafayette other than providing a profit for the dealership
    We spent over $50K. Where did the profits from those sales go?

Where are those profits are spent?

Who gets the sales & property taxes?

We want government run like a business, but as I note in the article, like a good business. And as I also point out, the good business looks where ALL the cash goes. This is why accountants, more and more, are chosen as CEOs.

This current attack is not about good government, nor good business. It's about hurting the Library.

For something the Library wasn't even responsible for.

13. Default Re: Lafayette Parish Libraries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    We spent over $50K. Where did the profits from those sales go?

Where are those profits are spent?

Who gets the sales & property taxes?

We want government run like a business, but as I note in the article, like a good business. And as I also point out, the good business looks where ALL the cash goes. This is why accountants, more and more, are chosen as CEOs.

This current attack is not about good government, nor good business. It's about hurting the Library.

For something the Library wasn't even responsible for.
    The sales taxes on the vehicle goes to the parish of domicile and the state. At Landry got some nice dollars. The property taxes on the real property goes to Lafayette. Don’t know about inventory?

Thread Information