Thread: NMSU Football

UL Football NMSU Football

Did anyone see that NMSU is the only FBS team playing this spring. They only scheduled 2 games, the first was vs Tarleton State. This is the first season for Tarleton State in FCS football, previously they were Division II. They lost their first game of the season to McNeese in double overtime 40-37. They defeated NMSU 43-17 and it wasn't that close. The score was 33-7 at halftime. Tarleton outgained NMSU 501 - 241, doubling their offensive output. This was a major A## Whooping by a formally D2 team over a FBS team. NMSU plays Dixie State next, another team that is moving up from D2.

Default Re: NMSU Football

Is it their freshman team playing? JV maybe? Why bother playing if you're only gonna play D-2 move-ups? This doesn't seem like a serious attempt at having a "season".

wow

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard 1280 View Post
    Is it their freshman team playing? JV maybe? Why bother playing if you're only gonna play D-2 move-ups? This doesn't seem like a serious attempt at having a "season".
    I agree, I did not watch the game, just saw the outcome. I would hope that they are playing all underclassmen for experience only, but man, I would hope our 2nd/3rd stringers would be at worst be able to keep up with a D2 moveup.

From Zem’s...

“TARLETON STATE DRILLS NEW MEXICO STATE 43-17

Tarleton State went into the game yesterday down six starters. Covid benched their quarterback and four other offensive starters.

If first-year FCS Tarleton was supposed to be the underdog against FBS New Mexico State, that message never reached the Texan locker room.

Not even after one defensive starter was ruled out for the first half after a penalty last week. Not even when five offensive starters were ruled out due to COVID-19 protocols. The Texans’ faith in themselves never wavered – not once.

Some fans will try to discredit TSU by downgrading New Mexico State. NMSU was favored by 6 points and were expected to cover the line by most services. The juniors on this team have beaten Alcorn State, Liberty, UTEP three consecutive years, Texas State, New Mexico, Ga. Southern, Idaho, South Alabama, etc. They went to a bowl game three years ago and beat Idaho State. They are no means a power, but they are in the South Alabama, Texas State, ULM, Ga. State level of the Sun Belt and if McNeese went on the road and beat any of these teams, I would be happy. If the Pokes were up 33-7 at half and 43-10 in the fourth quarter, I would be ecstatic. Congrats to Todd Whitten for getting his players ready to play after last week’s heartbreaker.“

For those who didn’t know, this is what feeds the McNeese move up wet dream.

Of course the other side of the story, NMSU basically has a new roster since last game. Returned 2 starters, both OL. But should have not been beaten, even if their 2 game schedule is being used to evaluate.

https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/spo..._medium=UpNext

No related but I'm so glad UL decided early on not to take the spring route.

UL Football Re: NMSU Football

Zem must be mistaken again. He said NMSU beat Idaho State in a bowl game. Idaho State does not play FBS football.

Beau Cajun

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Zem must be mistaken again. He said NMSU beat Idaho State in a bowl game. Idaho State does not play FBS football.
    It was Utah State in 2017, they won 26-20 in the Arizona Bowl.

fanof71 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

NMSU student to alum..."Oh no, we suck..."

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    It was Utah State in 2017, they won 26-20 in the Arizona Bowl.
    I figured he didn’t know the difference.
    Beau Cajun

Crazy thing is despite having a roster with potentially 7 or 8 nfl players Hud lost to nmsu two years in a row.

Crawfish's Avatar Crawfish is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

It is a shame that NMSU did not play the regular season, they might have given ULMost a run for their money for the Unchampionship title.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    It is a same that NMSU did not play the regular season, they might have given ULMost a run for their money for the Unchampionship title.
    Having never led a game at any point last season was a feat never done before, ULM had that going for them in the Bottom Ten poll. Can you just imagine how brutal it could be if their new brain trust doesn’t deliver?

Thread Information