Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final G1: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

Default Re: MBB vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Although the following article is related to the NBA and not college, I think the premise holds. Basically it makes the point that the team that shoots the three well ball the best usually wins. Explains lots of upsets in the NBA this year. College game has lots of similarities. Personally, I think it is terrible for the game. Rules need to be changed to lessen the number of three pointers taken. College line should be moved to the NBA line and NBA line should go to 30 feet with short corner three being eliminated. One analyst suggested that after a certain no. of threes are attempted or made (say 40 in pros or 30 in college) every shot made from behind the arc count only as two points. That would be interesting would it not. Anyway the three game losing streak is explained by giving up 11 made threes in each one. We need to continue to work on insuring we lessen that number in remaining games.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2...point-shooting
    That is what is so frustrating about Marlin and his defense. There is usually once or twice a game and the opponent will dribble the ball down and have an uncontested 3 pointer. Usually it is a good shooter. Against ulm it was a guy that had already just hit 1 or 2 in a row.

2. Default Re: MBB vs ULM

Although the following article is related to the NBA and not college, I think the premise holds. Basically it makes the point that the team that shoots the three well ball the best usually wins. Explains lots of upsets in the NBA this year. College game has lots of similarities. Personally, I think it is terrible for the game. Rules need to be changed to lessen the number of three pointers taken. College line should be moved to the NBA line and NBA line should go to 30 feet with short corner three being eliminated. One analyst suggested that after a certain no. of threes are attempted or made (say 40 in pros or 30 in college) every shot made from behind the arc count only as two points. That would be interesting would it not. Anyway the three game losing streak is explained by giving up 11 made threes in each one. We need to continue to work on insuring we lessen that number in remaining games.

Limited access threes would change the game and strategy tremendously.

I think I would love it.

Quote Originally Posted by wscoog View Post
    That is what is so frustrating about Marlin and his defense. There is usually once or twice a game and the opponent will dribble the ball down and have an uncontested 3 pointer. Usually it is a good shooter. Against ulm it was a guy that had already just hit 1 or 2 in a row.
    Yes it was frustrating to see the Warhawks have a few open looks from three after the game plan was to run them off the line. However several of their makes came when they were fairly well covered. Also some of those makes came from guys who were not considered good shooters coming in. Still once they catch the hot hand you have to adjust. Much better job overall yesterday. My main point remains. Hot shooting team from outside wins frequently these days regardless of other factors.

Default Re: MBB Final G1: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

I posted this over on TOS. Marlin has not developed a floor leader since Jay Wright. We had Long and Gant, and neither were vocal leaders/motivators on the floor. '18 was tooling along fine until Jay started getting dinged. Have not developed one since.

Yes it was frustrating to see the Warhawks have a few open looks from three after the game plan was to run them off the line. However several of their makes came when they were fairly well covered. Also some of those makes came from guys who were not considered good shooters coming in. Still once they catch the hot hand you have to adjust. Much better job overall yesterday. My main point remains. Hot shooting team from outside wins frequently these days regardless of other factors.
    All great analysis of the game from a basketball fan here. I don't really care for the game, at least not these days, so I'm one who is generally not concerned with the program.

Except for the fact that Bob Marlin seems to want to make excuse after excuse. That in itself was tiring enough to read, but then he says what he did in the comparison of Sunbelt basketball to Sunbelt football.

That sort of ill-minded arrogance comes off as someone grabbing for any argument to not lose his job. Luckily for him, he's AD Maggard's one screwup. Dr. Maggard has hit on everything else he's done, but Marlin's contract extension with the buyout has definitely hurt us.

Everyone misses, though. Look at Belicheck, an all-time great, thinking he'd be back in the playoffs with Cam Newton at QB. So that's going to happen.

I just hope Dr. Maggard called Bob into his office after that statement and chewed his entitled-minded ass out.

Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    It’s not just Bob. Almost every coach across the country in any sport has a free pass this year. Not an excuse supporting him, already stated he’s past his shelf life.
    Yes I agree. That's kind of why I was remarking on the year in general and that college basketball has been crazy this year.

Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Never ever mention Marlin in a comparison with those teams. Bobby is as consistent as the seasons coming in middle of the pack in a low level mid major conference
    I like many quit going to basketball games years ago. UL basketball attendance used to be more than most sports at UL. The slowly chipping away with Marlin at the helm has killed this once respectable program.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I posted this over on TOS. Marlin has not developed a floor leader since Jay Wright. We had Long and Gant, and neither were vocal leaders/motivators on the floor. '18 was tooling along fine until Jay started getting dinged. Have not developed one since.
    Bryce Washington was the leader on the 18 team. I think Jay Wright left in in 2017. Your point remains valid however. Leadership can be difficult to develop. May need to recruit one.

Bryce Washington was the leader on the 18 team. I think Jay Wright left in in 2017. Your point remains valid however. Leadership can be difficult to develop. May need to recruit one.
    I stand corrected. Bryce was the last alpha we’ve had.

Mike I don't believe this is completely true. Sure, it makes sense to believe that the team that shoots "better" from 3 will win at a larger percentage but teams that shoot better percentages win at a higher rate than those that don't right? For instance, I love how the writer used that game to suggest that because the Nuggets got "hot", they won. Well, what he didn't tell you was that they had a smaller percentage of their overall shots that were 3pt attempts and he didn't tell you that Utah actually hit more 3's in that game just at a lower percentage.

So, does it mean if you are making more 3's you're going to win? No. If you look at NBA team stats, you don't necessarily see the best teams with the most attempts. However, when you look at make percentage, I think there's a better picture of who the better teams are generally speaking.

I don't think the game has become just a 3 game. Attempts are up from say, 10 years ago but the pace and number of possessions is what has been most affected. People talk about the cajuns just wanting to shoot 3's and they seem right on many nights. However, if you watch an NBA game, the pace is off the chart these days. They play to try to get the best shots early to gain more future possessions. There are plenty of NBA players that shoot midrange shots. If you look at that Utah-Denver comparison the writer used, Denver still took more shots inside the arc than beyond. As a matter of fact, only about 1/3 of their shots were from 3 while Utah shot more than 50% of their shots from beyond the arc. I could make the argument that the sheer number of 3's you shoot can adversely affect you as well just as you've seen with the Cajuns this year. The problem with us is that we want to play that type of game but we don't play with the same pace as those teams and we get bogged down shooting outside shots often with a lot of guys who shoot at low percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Mike I don't believe this is completely true. Sure, it makes sense to believe that the team that shoots "better" from 3 will win at a larger percentage but teams that shoot better percentages win at a higher rate than those that don't right? For instance, I love how the writer used that game to suggest that because the Nuggets got "hot", they won. Well, what he didn't tell you was that they had a smaller percentage of their overall shots that were 3pt attempts and he didn't tell you that Utah actually hit more 3's in that game just at a lower percentage.

So, does it mean if you are making more 3's you're going to win? No. If you look at NBA team stats, you don't necessarily see the best teams with the most attempts. However, when you look at make percentage, I think there's a better picture of who the better teams are generally speaking.

I don't think the game has become just a 3 game. Attempts are up from say, 10 years ago but the pace and number of possessions is what has been most affected. People talk about the cajuns just wanting to shoot 3's and they seem right on many nights. However, if you watch an NBA game, the pace is off the chart these days. They play to try to get the best shots early to gain more future possessions. There are plenty of NBA players that shoot midrange shots. If you look at that Utah-Denver comparison the writer used, Denver still took more shots inside the arc than beyond. As a matter of fact, only about 1/3 of their shots were from 3 while Utah shot more than 50% of their shots from beyond the arc. I could make the argument that the sheer number of 3's you shoot can adversely affect you as well just as you've seen with the Cajuns this year. The problem with us is that we want to play that type of game but we don't play with the same pace as those teams and we get bogged down shooting outside shots often with a lot of guys who shoot at low percentages.
    I agree we should shoot more mid range shots. More are taken in the NBA due to line is further out. No. of threes taken is not indicative of success. Percentage of threes made is the best indicator of success. ULM beat us last Thursday because their % there was abnormally high. Was that just luck or bad defense. Probably both. Overall, I think both the pro and college game are trending too much towards an excess number of three point shots taken.

12. Default Re: MBB vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post

I recently saw a Pelicans game where Zion hit 11/12 in the paint. He also had several free throws that he sank at a very respectable 75%. They couldn’t defend the 3 and lost.

Mike’s argument that 3 pointers drive wins seems valid in most games.

Unfortunately season after season, over and over teams have their best 3 points and other best against the Cajuns.

That’s just sad

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    All great analysis of the game from a basketball fan here. I don't really care for the game, at least not these days, so I'm one who is generally not concerned with the program.

Except for the fact that Bob Marlin seems to want to make excuse after excuse. That in itself was tiring enough to read, but then he says what he did in the comparison of Sunbelt basketball to Sunbelt football.

That sort of ill-minded arrogance comes off as someone grabbing for any argument to not lose his job. Luckily for him, he's AD Maggard's one screwup. Dr. Maggard has hit on everything else he's done, but Marlin's contract extension with the buyout has definitely hurt us.

Everyone misses, though. Look at Belicheck, an all-time great, thinking he'd be back in the playoffs with Cam Newton at QB. So that's going to happen.

I just hope Dr. Maggard called Bob into his office after that statement and chewed his entitled-minded ass out.
    This is why I was so critical during the 2018-2019 season. Every loss was followed by "Well, we won 27 games last year so we get everybody's best shot" or "Teams celebrate like they won the Super Bowl when they beat us." I must've been asleep the whole time we were becoming the next Gonzaga. And to make matters worse, some of these losses came against inferior conference opponents who beat us by double digits. And then came those quotes or an excuse such as "Mardi Gras distractions" or "altitude issues in Boone." The arrogance the staff showed the year after the NIT berth told me all I needed to know as far as expectations of this program: Just get by or create window dressing by beating bad competition. And the comments that were made the other night was not only an insult to football, but to Cajun fans in general. You have a fan base that is on Cloud Nine that their football team is ranked #15 IN THE NATION, while most of those same people don't even know when our basketball games even start anymore; and we have to hear that after losing to a 4-15 team on a 10 game losing streak. Just admit that you weren't prepared. Don't inflate the terrible division we play in to cover up for your poor performance.

Regardless of what happens, we have a solid leader in the AD office that I am sure will do what is best for the program moving forward. As of now, we have baseball and softball to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I recently saw a Pelicans game where Zion hit 11/12 in the paint. He also had several free throws that he sank at a very respectable 75%. They couldn’t defend the 3 and lost.

Mike’s argument that 3 pointers drive wins seems valid in most games.

Unfortunately season after season, over and over teams have their best 3 points and other best against the Cajuns.

That’s just sad
    That's because the Pelicans have one of the worst defenses in the NBA. They give up high percentages all over the court. You use Zion alone to formulate what outcome? The pelicans are not one of the better 3 point shooting teams which means they can't rely upon it consistently to win. Their offense against Detroit was just fine. Their defense and rebounding is what let them down.

15. Default Re: MBB Final G1: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

They’re awful on defense and badly lacking 3 point players. Mostly they’re a bad team

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information