Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final G1: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I began attending UL basketball games while in high school back in the early 1970's during the glory days of USL Basketball. After continuing my education at UL, and getting into the workforce, I soon began purchasing Football and Basketball season tickets. I have continued holding season tickets in those two sports since then and added baseball tickets to my portfolio in the late 90's. I bought my basketball season tickets once again this season, even knowing the rediculous COVID restrictions that would be put in place, in an attempt to continue supporting the program. However, last night was only the 3rd game I have attended in person this season. Not because I couldn't attend more games, but because attending UL basketball is no longer fun! As much as I want to support the basketball program, it is getting very hard for me to justify my continued support. I'm starting to think the money I spend on basketball could be better spent on the other sports that provide more entertainment for the money I spend. I could then just buy individual game tickets any basketball game I may decide to attend. I will have a decision to make when my renewal notice arrives next year!
    I can relate to your frustration. I let my tickets go after 20 years of being a season ticket holder. Too much potential for this program to have to endure this.

"We didn't overlook Arkansas State either. This West division is pretty good. This isn't football where the teams are not very good. These teams are good."

Wow!

3. Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

There are no valid excuses for this loss.

It doesn't matter how "due" a 10-straight loss team is or isn't.

When you let a 10-straight loss team jump out to a 19-5 lead, you did not have your team ready to play.

Insults football by calling the division weak. Bahahaha!!!

Get back to me when basketball finishes the season ranked in the Top 15.

5. Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

This is something that makes it hard to be a fan. When the highest paid coach, with more backing than counterparts, can't put forth a team that's expected to own the division, something's off. I don't know if it's the coach, the culture, or state of NCAAB, but it's something. I can't give entertainment dollars from my family's budget to this, when my wife and kids don't enjoy watching. Plus, losing stinks.

How does someone with a voice of the school/program make this seem okay? I don't ask in jest, I really just want to understand - cause it's getting more difficult.

I am done with Coach Marlin. He doesn’t have to insult the football team’s accomplishment to explain his team’s loss to the worse team in the conference. He needs to take responsibility and get his team ready to win. We won games with him out. I know all I need to know that his days are numbered here. He’s overpaid and it’s time to bring winning basketball back to the dome!

Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    It’s not just Bob. Almost every coach across the country in any sport has a free pass this year. Not an excuse supporting him, already stated he’s past his shelf life.
    LOL...somebody should tell the South Carolina, Auburn, Texas & ULM football coaches about this free pass thing.

I began attending UL basketball games while in high school back in the early 1970's during the glory days of USL Basketball. After continuing my education at UL, and getting into the workforce, I soon began purchasing Football and Basketball season tickets. I have continued holding season tickets in those two sports since then and added baseball tickets to my portfolio in the late 90's. I bought my basketball season tickets once again this season, even knowing the rediculous COVID restrictions that would be put in place, in an attempt to continue supporting the program. However, last night was only the 3rd game I have attended in person this season. Not because I couldn't attend more games, but because attending UL basketball is no longer fun! As much as I want to support the basketball program, it is getting very hard for me to justify my continued support. I'm starting to think the money I spend on basketball could be better spent on the other sports that provide more entertainment for the money I spend. I could then just buy individual game tickets any basketball game I may decide to attend. I will have a decision to make when my renewal notice arrives next year!
    Drop basketball and add softball.

9. Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana 66, ULM 72

Never ever mention Marlin in a comparison with those teams. Bobby is as consistent as the seasons coming in middle of the pack in a low level mid major conference

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    I am done with Coach Marlin. He doesn’t have to insult the football team’s accomplishment to explain his team’s loss to the worse team in the conference. He needs to take responsibility and get his team ready to win. We won games with him out. I know all I need to know that his days are numbered here. He’s overpaid and it’s time to bring winning basketball back to the dome!
    The average NET ranking of teams in the Sun Belt West is 221. Even after insulting comment about football, at least have your teams average a ranking of above 200.

Default Re: MBB vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Welp looks like we have this game taken care of. It makes me ask the question, where in the hell was this the other night?
    Simply put, ball was not going in the basket the other night. That magnified all the other mistakes. That also allowed ULM to take the air out of the ball after they took the lead on Thursday night. We are OK at playing defense for 20 seconds but not 30. We frequently give up a basket in last 5 seconds of the clock when teams hold it. We still had way too many turnovers today but that was not highlighted due to the shots going in. Basketball today in both the pro and college game is all about which team shoots the three ball the best. That is the case almost regardless of record of the teams. ULM hit 11 threes the other night while we hit 14 today. This may have been the worst loss of the year for ULM and I am sure they will tell you it is because we were hot from outside. I am not sure the dominance of the three ball on outcome is a good thing for the game. In fact, I would argue it is a detriment to the game. Still if we want to be more successful going forward, we have to find better shooters or have the current guys shoot it like today more consistently. We also can't get more than a few points behind so teams don't hold it on us.

12. Default Re: MBB vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Simply put, ball was not going in the basket the other night. That magnified all the other mistakes. That also allowed ULM to take the air out of the ball after they took the lead on Thursday night. We are OK at playing defense for 20 seconds but not 30. We frequently give up a basket in last 5 seconds of the clock when teams hold it. We still had way too many turnovers today but that was not highlighted due to the shots going in. Basketball today in both the pro and college game is all about which team shoots the three ball the best. That is the case almost regardless of record of the teams. ULM hit 11 threes the other night while we hit 14 today. This may have been the worst loss of the year for ULM and I am sure they will tell you it is because we were hot from outside. I am not sure the dominance of the three ball on outcome is a good thing for the game. In fact, I would argue it is a detriment to the game. Still if we want to be more successful going forward, we have to find better shooters or have the current guys shoot it like today more consistently. We also can't get more than a few points behind so teams don't hold it on us.
    Letting ULM go on 17-2 run from a score of 3-5 at 17:11 to 8:04 and 5-22 was being held?

They were NOT ready to defend and freaked out when ULM hit 4 threes in that stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Letting ULM go on 17-2 run from a score of 3-5 at 17:11 to 8:04 and 5-22 was being held?

They were NOT ready to defend and freaked out when ULM hit 4 threes in that stretch.
    Holding the ball by the Warhawks came once they had the lead. You are correct in that the four 3 pointers in that stretch by the Warhawks caused the Cajuns to hang their heads some. Still, my main point remains. Team that shoots it best from three wins. Couple of those threes you mentioned by ULM were fairly well defended.

14. Default Re: MBB vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Holding the ball by the Warhawks came once they had the lead. You are correct in that the four 3 pointers in that stretch by the Warhawks caused the Cajuns to hang their heads some. Still, my main point remains. Team that shoots it best from three wins. Couple of those threes you mentioned by ULM were fairly well defended.
    I don't think you have to live and die by the three.

After the dismal 5-22 opening score, ULM still outshot Louisiana 6 to 4 from the three yet UL outscored them 63-50.

You can win like this IF you show up to play 40 minutes.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't think you have to live and die by the three.

After the dismal 5-22 opening score, ULM still outshot Louisiana 6 to 4 from the three yet UL outscored them 63-50.

You can win like this IF you show up to play 40 minutes.

jmo
    Although the following article is related to the NBA and not college, I think the premise holds. Basically it makes the point that the team that shoots the three well ball the best usually wins. Explains lots of upsets in the NBA this year. College game has lots of similarities. Personally, I think it is terrible for the game. Rules need to be changed to lessen the number of three pointers taken. College line should be moved to the NBA line and NBA line should go to 30 feet with short corner three being eliminated. One analyst suggested that after a certain no. of threes are attempted or made (say 40 in pros or 30 in college) every shot made from behind the arc count only as two points. That would be interesting would it not. Anyway the three game losing streak is explained by giving up 11 made threes in each one. We need to continue to work on insuring we lessen that number in remaining games.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2...point-shooting

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information