Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Final: Louisiana 77 Arkansas State 83

UL Basketball whats going on with basketball

what is going on with basketball, i haven't seen any updates in a while

Default Re: whats going on with basketball

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    Both teams are leading their divisions. We had a nice discussion on the TxSt game threads from this weekend.

Men have won five in a row. Women have won six in a row.

They are both on the "plus"; Friday at 6, Saturday at 4. give them a watch but plan on watching the entire game. They still make mistakes that drive you crazy but they make up for them!

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    They are both on the "plus"; Friday at 6, Saturday at 4. give them a watch but plan on watching the entire game. They still make mistakes that drive you crazy but they make up for them!

GEAUX CAJUNS!
    I wish the games weren't at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by billbeck451 View Post
    Men are 13 and 4 with 7 and 3 conference record. They have won 5 consecutive conference games, three on the road. Most encouraging is that they have found a way to pull out several down to the wire victories. While some decry the poll, the Athletic Department is highlighting the fact they are up to No. 15 in the latest mid major poll. We are only playing West teams this year due to Covid. We play the same opponent twice over one weekend. The Texas State Game 2 ended with one of the most improbable victorious endings in Cajun history. There is a video of it in one of the other threads. Coach Marlin missed the two games at Texas STate due to Covid. He is scheduled to return to practice today and is planning to make the trip for the two games to Arkansas State this weekend. In preparation for the games at Texas State, long time assistant Neil Hardin led practice as he had scouting responsibilities for that opponent. During the games, 2nd year assistant Brock Morris acted as head coach. He was probably chosen for that role due to the one year he was head coach while at Daytona State Junior College in Florida. The fact that he recruited six of the nine players in the rotation may have been a factor in that decision. Regardless of the reason things were decided, the entire staff received compliments for the way things were handled in the absence of the head coach by many. Speaking of the trip to Arkansas State, the 7 plus hour bus trip to Jonesboro begins tomorrow. Not the most ideal trip for a few guys battling the normal bumps and bruises at this stage. I just finished listening to an interview Director of Basketball Operations Mike Murphy had with Kevin Foote on 103.7. Mike has been the main public spokesman for the program while Coach Marlin has been out. Mike emphasized the fact that the staff tries to get the team to focus on the upcoming Friday game. They don't even think about the Saturday game until after Friday. Logic is you can't sweep without winning Game 1. Hope that gives you a little background with what is happening with men's basketball. Having games only on the weekend may be a reason you missed some of what is happening in that sport.

Great synopsis of what has been happening recently. One thing I will add is Coach Marlin returned to practice today and tweeted that Kobe Julien had returned to practice as well. I don’t know if we will see him in a game soon and if so it will probably only be in small spurts but it is good to see him back on the court again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Great synopsis of what has been happening recently. One thing I will add is Coach Marlin returned to practice today and tweeted that Kobe Julien had returned to practice as well. I don’t know if we will see him in a game soon and if so it will probably only be in small spurts but it is good to see him back on the court again.
    I'd think its best if he just sits it out this year. He has had a tough tough 2 years and I would hate for something to happen because he tried pushing on a return to the court for a couple of games. But the decision is entirely Kobe's so if he wants to go, I'm good with it.

The men’s team is making me eat my words. It hasn’t always been pretty but they are getting the job done. I hope they continue to do so. I love being wrong.

10. Default Re: whats going on with basketball

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    The men’s team is making me eat my words. It hasn’t always been pretty but they are getting the job done. I hope they continue to do so. I love being wrong.
    And if we get Julien back, even if it is for limited playing time, this team could be even better. He would just add some quality depth for 5-10 minutes a game.

One of the coaches this week commented to me “Kobe brings us a bigger 6’6” guard forward is exactly what this team needs right now.”

So we wait and see...

Quote Originally Posted by cwl1951 View Post
    One of the coaches this week commented to me “Kobe brings as a bigger 6’6” guard forward is exactly what this team needs right now.”

So we wait and see...
    My understanding is Kobe probably will not play this weekend. I would not want to send him on two 7 hour bus trips when he has just returned to practice. Likely goal is to play him next Thursday when we host ULM. We then play at ULM the following Saturday, a much shorter trip. That is the only non Friday/Saturday set for the season. As far as his health is concerned, I was told he recently shared that he has not felt as good as he does now since his HS days. Hopefully that is correct. Still, we don't know how his return to practice and playing will impact the knee.

As far as the rest of the team is concerned, AU has been battling knee issues for several games now. Despite that he played pretty well last Saturday. Awkuba also appeared to hurt his hip in one of the games at Texas State. Not sure what his status is. I do believe both are in the normal plans for the games at Arkansas State. Those bumps and bruises tell me that bringing in another guy for even a few minutes can help the situation. Also recall that in Kobe's case, it is a free year due to Covid. He will be a fourth year freshman next season. Very unusual of course.

I hope they don't overlook Arkansas State. I know their record isn't impressive, but toth of the previous games were tight for a good bit of the first game and stayed tight all the second game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I hope they don't overlook Arkansas State. I know their record isn't impressive, but toth of the previous games were tight for a good bit of the first game and stayed tight all the second game.
    We pulled away and around the 10 minute mark in a he second half of the first game and then we dominated the second game until almost giving it away in the last 5 minutes or so.

15. UL Basketball Louisiana Battles A-State In Sun Belt West Division Clash

The Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Men's Basketball team caps off a season-long, four-game road trip beginning on Friday when it faces Sun Belt Conference West Division foe Arkansas State at First National Bank Arena.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information