Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My All-Time Cajundome Team

UL Basketball My All-Time Cajundome Team

So....I didn't see most of the Blackham Coliseum guys, and those I saw, I didn't see enough. And, college basketball, in my opinion, changed around the mid 80s.

Therefore, I've put together my all-time Cajundome team.

Criteria: Player had to play at least two years and cannot be a player who transferred out of the program before completing eligibility.

Only 13 players can be selected since there are only 13 scholarships.

I couldn't get guard heavy or big man heavy. I chose to pick just one center (and it hurt me to keep Michael Southall off this team).

So here we go. Would be interested to see yours.

POINT GUARDS: Aaron Mitchell, Elfrid Payton, Michael Allen (hybrid 1-2)
    SHOOTING GUARDS: Sidney Grider, Byron Starks
    SMALL FORWARD/THIRD GUARD: Kevin Brooks, Todd Hill,
    POWER FORWARD: Marcus Stokes, Bryce Washington, JaKeenan Gant (hybrid c)
    CENTER: Shawn Long

That's eleven. The last two were tough. I decided to go with a hybrid SG/SF and a PF who was a good rebounder and defender.

I chose Anthony Johnson because he was a hybrid 2/3 and Brian Hamilton, who was an excellent rebounder and defensive player.

(Honorable Mentions: Blane Harmon, Brad Boyd, Brett Smith, Reggie Poole, Chris Manuel, Lonnie Thomas, Frank Bartley IV, Oriene Greene, Chris Cameron, Johnathan Stove, Marcus Stroman, Michael Southall and probably a few others.)

Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

I cannot make a comprehensive list, because I do not go back as far with UL basketball as you. I started attending games while Marty was here and I have been away for 11 years. (I am back now but no season tickets yet) I might have picked Southall, but as we all know he had "issues" that limited him while he was here. I think he may have had the most God given talent of any big I have seen. He squandered much of it. I agree with the selection of the Bunny, but as you know he had some issues appearing in games as well. I think Brad was good but would have had a better career overall had he not been pressed into service as a point guard. He was serviceable at the point but I liked him better at the 2-3. Chris Cameron was raw when he came in but made the most of his talent while at UL. I really enjoyed watching Lonnie Thomas who was a very hard nosed and hard working player. Oriene Greene was fun to watch but (IMHO) he wasted a year by coming out early. Even though he is still in school, I would think that Russell might make the HM list. He is one of the better shooter I have seen at UL when he is hot.

3. Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    So....I didn't see most of the Blackham Coliseum guys, and those I saw, I didn't see enough. And, college basketball, in my opinion, changed around the mid 80s.

Criteria: Player had to play at least two years and cannot be a player who transferred out of the program before completing eligibility.

I couldn't get guard heavy or big man heavy. I chose to pick just one center (and it hurt me to keep Michael Southall off this team).

That's eleven. The last two were tough. I decided to go with a hybrid SG/SF and a PF who was a good rebounder and defender.

I chose Anthony Johnson because he was a hybrid 2/3 and Brian Hamilton, who was an excellent rebounder and defensive player.

(Honorable Mentions: Blane Harmon, Brad Boyd, Brett Smith, Reggie Poole, Chris Manuel, Lonnie Thomas, Frank Bartley IV, Oriene Greene, Chris Cameron, Johnathan Stove, Marcus Stroman, Michael Southall and probably a few others.)
    Wow, no room for Dwayne "Dunk You Very Much" Mitchell.

4. Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

So I am with you on time frame and I agree with you on pretty much each of your choices. A few that you did not mention for Honorable mention and their could have been a ton.

Just a few more names to consider: Eric Mouton (true point guard), Cedric Mackeyon (garbage man), Tony Moore (loved his mid range jump shot), Carroll Boudreaux (don't call me Harold), Shawn Griggs (Thief of Bagdad), Laurie Bridges (Mr. D), Tiras Wade (only 1 season, should have come back), La'Ryan Gary (Mr Athletic), Elijah Milsap (don't call me Paul), Travis Bureau (injuries, injuries), Chris Grandigo, JJ Thomas (Fear the Beard), Bryant Mbambau (Mr. Clutch), Jay Wright (a poor man's version of Elfrid), Kasey Shepard (Mr. 3), Malik Marquetti (injury ended career way to early) Dwayne (Dunk you very much) Mitchell.

I would add these two guys, even if they did not get on the court as walkons. Marc Considine (MR. ENFORCER) and Russ Harris (Mr. Cheerleader and Fan favorite)

I am probably missing some as well.

I didn’t get to see the 1st 15 years or so at the Dome as I started school in the fall of 01. To answer Mike’s question from the other thread the Bradley game that year was my 1st, a defensive slugfest we won on the last possession 43-42.

I have often thought about what it would be like to see Shawn Long, Bryce Washington, and Jakeenan Gant on the floor at the same time as I think Gant was athletic enough to play the 3. That would be a heck of an interior on the defensive end. Throw in Elfrid and Tiras Wade in the backcourt for my starting 5. Fill out my bench with Marcus Stroman, Frank Bartley, Brad Boyd, Anthony Johnson, Dwayne Mitchell, Tyren Johnson, Michael Southall, Brian Hamilton, Cedric Russell.

During his senior year, Laurie Bridges played with a ridiculously talented team. And he was incredible. I know we are looking at whole careers. But his senior years was something special.

And as mentioned, Tiras Wade was incredibly good during his one year here.

7. Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I didn’t get to see the 1st 15 years or so at the Dome as I started school in the fall of 01. To answer Mike’s question from the other thread the Bradley game that year was my 1st, a defensive slugfest we won on the last possession 43-42.

I have often thought about what it would be like to see Shawn Long, Bryce Washington, and Jakeenan Gant on the floor at the same time as I think Gant was athletic enough to play the 3. That would be a heck of an interior on the defensive end. Throw in Elfrid and Tiras Wade in the backcourt for my starting 5. Fill out my bench with Marcus Stroman, Frank Bartley, Brad Boyd, Anthony Johnson, Dwayne Mitchell, Tyren Johnson, Michael Southall, Brian Hamilton, Cedric Russell.
    ......So if I am drafting this Hypothetical Cajun team........I get Southall first in the loop and add the rest!

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post

Cedric Hill played mostly at Blackham but had one year in the Dome. He beat Auburn here with a last second shot. Perhaps he should be considered for the HM list. Had he not gotten hurt and been able to play more than 1 1/2 seasons, Malik Marquetti may have made the HM list as well.

Barry Bowman; Xavian Rimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Barry Bowman; Xavian Rimmer
    I will always remember Rimmer for that conference championship game against Georgia State. In fact the 2 highest scoring games of his career were that game (27) and the 1st round game against UTA (24). He was 12-18 from 3 over those 2 games, sandwiched around the 2nd round game against Western Kentucky where he didn’t score and only put up 2 shots. By the end of his senior year he was playing less than 10 minutes a game off the bench so I wouldn’t consider him for an all time Cajundome team but no way they make the tournament that year without him.

So out of all the names mentioned, who is the Cajundome MVP?

I go with Michael Allen

Quote Originally Posted by ultracajun View Post
    So out of all the names mentioned, who is the Cajundome MVP?

I go with Michael Allen
    Agree, and I'll go a step further. I think his jersey should hang from the CD rafters.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    So I am with you on time frame and I agree with you on pretty much each of your choices. A few that you did not mention for Honorable mention and their could have been a ton.

Just a few more names to consider: Eric Mouton (true point guard), Cedric Mackeyon (garbage man), Tony Moore (loved his mid range jump shot), Carroll Boudreaux (don't call me Harold), Shawn Griggs (Thief of Bagdad), Laurie Bridges (Mr. D), Tiras Wade (only 1 season, should have come back), La'Ryan Gary (Mr Athletic), Elijah Milsap (don't call me Paul), Travis Bureau (injuries, injuries), Chris Grandigo, JJ Thomas (Fear the Beard), Bryant Mbambau (Mr. Clutch), Jay Wright (a poor man's version of Elfrid), Kasey Shepard (Mr. 3), Malik Marquetti (injury ended career way to early) Dwayne (Dunk you very much) Mitchell.

I would add these two guys, even if they did not get on the court as walkons. Marc Considine (MR. ENFORCER) and Russ Harris (Mr. Cheerleader and Fan favorite)

I am probably missing some as well.
    My Lord Cedric Mackeyon could jump.

I saw Orien Green at breakfast in Houston earlier today.

15. Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    My Lord Cedric Mackeyon could jump.
    He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He was only 6'6" if I remember correctly but always had important rebounds and he shot 55% from the field, but that was because most of his shots were within 5 ft of the basket because he got so many loose balls near the basket.

Very underrated player in my book.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information