Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    He always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. He was only 6'6" if I remember correctly but always had important rebounds and he shot 55% from the field, but that was because most of his shots were within 5 ft of the basket because he got so many loose balls near the basket.

Very underrated player in my book.
    Those are my thoughts on Brian Hamilton; I believe he was 6'5" but a real hustler, seeming to be in the right place at the right time.

They call that basketball i.q. I didn't get to see Cedric Mackeyon play but I suspect they both had it!

2. Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Those are my thoughts on Brian Hamilton; I believe he was 6'5" but a real hustler, seeming to be in the right place at the right time.

They call that basketball i.q. I didn't get to see Cedric Mackeyon play but I suspect they both had it!
    I had the pleasure of watching both and I would think they were very similar players. Ironically they were both transfers from other schools, Mackyeon played 1 year at Oklahoma State, mostly in a off the bench roll and Hamilton came from TAMU-CC where he was a standout for them the one year he was there.

Hamilton was a beast, but yes very similar type players in my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    So....I didn't see most of the Blackham Coliseum guys, and those I saw, I didn't see enough. And, college basketball, in my opinion, changed around the mid 80s.

Therefore, I've put together my all-time Cajundome team.

Criteria: Player had to play at least two years and cannot be a player who transferred out of the program before completing eligibility.

Only 13 players can be selected since there are only 13 scholarships.

I couldn't get guard heavy or big man heavy. I chose to pick just one center (and it hurt me to keep Michael Southall off this team).

So here we go. Would be interested to see yours.

POINT GUARDS: Aaron Mitchell, Elfrid Payton, Michael Allen (hybrid 1-2)
    SHOOTING GUARDS: Sidney Grider, Byron Starks
    SMALL FORWARD/THIRD GUARD: Kevin Brooks, Todd Hill,
    POWER FORWARD: Marcus Stokes, Bryce Washington, JaKeenan Gant (hybrid c)
    CENTER: Shawn Long

That's eleven. The last two were tough. I decided to go with a hybrid SG/SF and a PF who was a good rebounder and defender.

I chose Anthony Johnson because he was a hybrid 2/3 and Brian Hamilton, who was an excellent rebounder and defensive player.

(Honorable Mentions: Blane Harmon, Brad Boyd, Brett Smith, Reggie Poole, Chris Manuel, Lonnie Thomas, Frank Bartley IV, Oriene Greene, Chris Cameron, Johnathan Stove, Marcus Stroman, Michael Southall and probably a few others.)
    Very good list. I think we had more success with Mouton at the PG and Mitchell at the SG. Much like the current team, I don't think we are as good when Russell is playing point. However, having Mitchell at PG, really made us tough on the defense.

Allen, Brooks and Grider were the most unstoppable I witnessed for sure. It seemed like Brooks shot 85+% on that one play when he would come off the down screen and hit the elbow jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Very good list. I think we had more success with Mouton at the PG and Mitchell at the SG. Much like the current team, I don't think we are as good when Russell is playing point. However, having Mitchell at PG, really made us tough on the defense.

Allen, Brooks and Grider were the most unstoppable I witnessed for sure. It seemed like Brooks shot 85+% on that one play when he would come off the down screen and hit the elbow jumper.
    The Graylin Warner shot? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux View Post
    I saw Orien Green at breakfast in Houston earlier today.
    Great. He was at the Cajundome for a game a couple weeks back.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post

Mitchell rarely played the 2 guard, if at all. Mouton spelled him. But sometimes they were in the game at the same time. Mouton became the starter when Mitchell left.

Antoine Landry is a guy who didn’t do much his 1st 3 years but exploded as a senior. if only he had redshirted. In today’s environment he would just be another bust/transfer

8. Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    Antoine Landry is a guy who didn’t do much his 1st 3 years but exploded as a senior. if only he had redshirted. In today’s environment he would just be another bust/transfer
    I'm afraid you are right.

Interesting perspective I hadn't thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I had the pleasure of watching both and I would think they were very similar players. Ironically they were both transfers from other schools, Mackyeon played 1 year at Oklahoma State, mostly in a off the bench roll and Hamilton came from TAMU-CC where he was a standout for them the one year he was there.

Hamilton was a beast, but yes very similar type players in my humble opinion.
    I would take Shawn Griggs over both of them. The guy was incredible at creating turnovers, could run the floor and was a a willing rebounder.

10. Default Re: My All-Time Cajundome Team

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I would take Shawn Griggs over both of them. The guy was incredible at creating turnovers, could run the floor and was a a willing rebounder.
    I was a big fan of the thief of Baghdad. But I don’t think he was as offensively gifted as either of the other 2. Much better defensively. And they were both pretty good.

All time defensive team.
    Guards:S. Griggs, E. Payton, I. Washington, B. Jones, and L. Bridges.
    Bigs: J. Gant, M. Southall, K. Colby, B. Washington, and T. Awaku.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    All time defensive team.
    I like it, throw in Cedric Williams as “enforcer”.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    The Graylin Warner shot? :-)
    My family had season tickets in the upper reaches of Blackham, opposite of the Cajuns' bench, right at the baseline. During the first half, when USL was playing on the far court, we had a perfect view of Warner's shot. He always hit the same spot, and our vantage point had him on a perfect line between us and the rim. Seemed like he never missed that shot, and the net never moved. He was just deadly from there.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    So....I didn't see most of the Blackham Coliseum guys, and those I saw, I didn't see enough. And, college basketball, in my opinion, changed around the mid 80s.

Therefore, I've put together my all-time Cajundome team.

Criteria: Player had to play at least two years and cannot be a player who transferred out of the program before completing eligibility.

Only 13 players can be selected since there are only 13 scholarships.

I couldn't get guard heavy or big man heavy. I chose to pick just one center (and it hurt me to keep Michael Southall off this team).

So here we go. Would be interested to see yours.

POINT GUARDS: Aaron Mitchell, Elfrid Payton, Michael Allen (hybrid 1-2)
    SHOOTING GUARDS: Sidney Grider, Byron Starks
    SMALL FORWARD/THIRD GUARD: Kevin Brooks, Todd Hill,
    POWER FORWARD: Marcus Stokes, Bryce Washington, JaKeenan Gant (hybrid c)
    CENTER: Shawn Long

That's eleven. The last two were tough. I decided to go with a hybrid SG/SF and a PF who was a good rebounder and defender.

I chose Anthony Johnson because he was a hybrid 2/3 and Brian Hamilton, who was an excellent rebounder and defensive player.

(Honorable Mentions: Blane Harmon, Brad Boyd, Brett Smith, Reggie Poole, Chris Manuel, Lonnie Thomas, Frank Bartley IV, Oriene Greene, Chris Cameron, Johnathan Stove, Marcus Stroman, Michael Southall and probably a few others.)
    Probably the best individual night in the Cajun dome and this guy may deserve a mention was Cedric Hill vs Chuck Person when Auburn came to town. Cedric took him to school.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    All time defensive team.
    E Man the D Man

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information