Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone recall "stealing" a game like today ?

UL Basketball Anyone recall "stealing" a game like today ?

In all the years I have followed Cajuns basketball (around 50 years), I don't recall winning a game like we did today. Does anyone else? If so, can you refresh my memory?

Default Re: Anyone recall "stealing" a game like today ?

Here is Twitter video of winning play for those of you who may not have seen it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1355667820323893249

Also, I hope KPEL has archived Jay's call of this play. If so, I bet it is replayed often on the call in shows come Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    In all the years I have followed Cajuns basketball (around 50 years), I don't recall winning a game like we did today. Does anyone else? If so, can you refresh my memory?
    A steal and win inside 5 seconds, can't think of any. Maybe something like this happened in Marty last years, but can't think of one that went our way. Wonder if that is "Top 10" worthy.

Here is Twitter video of winning play for those of you who may not have seen it.

Also, I hope KPEL has archived Jay's call of this play. If so, I bet it is replayed often on the call in shows come Monday.
    Call the name police!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Call the name police!
    After winning in such a fashion, I will let the name issue go for today. Here comes one of my old lines. When the contest ended we were called the most important name there is; WINNER.

Dou Gueye hitting that shot a UTA comes to mind.

Dion Rainey hitting that corner jumper at Blackham in the NIT against UAB.

Earl Watkins hitting a bomb, don't remember against who.

None of these were off a turnover though, but I think were game winning shots, as Cajuns were behind. At least that is my memory.

How about when we had six players on the court vs Western Kentucky?!
    On their home court no less.
    Not sure if it was a last second play or if we won the game, but it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Dou Gueye hitting that shot a UTA comes to mind.

Dion Rainey hitting that corner jumper at Blackham in the NIT against UAB.

Earl Watkins hitting a bomb, don't remember against who.

None of these were off a turnover though, but I think were game winning shots, as Cajuns were behind. At least that is my memory.

Watkins shot was against Houston. Talked to another old timer earlier this evening. We recalled a game in 1971 against then Northeast Louisiana. Bo Lamar scored 6 points in the final minute to send game to OT. He ended up getting 63 which to lead team to victory. Back then there was no shot clock and no three point line. Then Bulldogs had to get late steals in order to get possession to allow Lamar to have opportunity for offensive heroics. He would have had well over 70 points in that game had three point shot been in. Nice to have today's result spur special memories.

9. Default Re: Anyone recall "stealing" a game like today ?

Watkins shot was against Houston. Talked to another old timer earlier this evening. We recalled a game in 1971 against then Northeast Louisiana. Bo Lamar scored 6 points in the final minute to send game to OT. He ended up getting 63 which to lead team to victory. Back then there was no shot clock and no three point line. Then Bulldogs had to get late steals in order to get possession to allow Lamar to have opportunity for offensive heroics. He would have had well over 70 points in that game had three point shot been in. Nice to have today's result spur special memories.
    ....lRemember Jimmy Edney on the clock and Johnny Collins I think going full court with about 3 seconds.....Blackham was pumped!

10. Default Re: Anyone recall "stealing" a game like today ?

No if, and, or Butts, Cajuns Lose.

my headline for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ....lRemember Jimmy Edney on the clock and Johnny Collins I think going full court with about 3 seconds.....Blackham was pumped!
    Boomer you asked in another thread how we ended up being victorious. Look at link I posted earlier in thread. Video of final play is linked there.

Memories of Blackham from the Athleticnetwork website
    https://athleticnetwork.net/site.php?pageID=885

If you wanna talk stealing a game, the sbc tourney game against Georgia State is the one that comes to my mind. We were out played and out coached down the stretch and Payton single handed put the cajuns on his back

Thanks for the twitter video; I watched the game but had Jay on audio synced up.

Watching the replay I saw where their guy also stepped out of bounds so even if he caught the ball we would have gotten it out of bounds. BUT the play Butts made was spectacular. Like Jay said postgame, a lot of players have missed those layups because they try to hurry it. Butts looked in total control and banked it.

GEAUX CAJUNS!

Way to hustle Cajuns. The guys didn't give up.

We didn't exactly 'steal it' but Michael Allen's game winning bomb at the buzzer against W. Kentucky in Cajundome (early 90's) also sticks out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information