Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Thread: Final: G4 Louisiana 74 Texas State 73

Default Re: Live Game Talk: G4 Louisiana 74 Texas State 73

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    My takeaway from this game and a couple of things that I noticed were rebounding as mentioned earlier but one thing I saw that was really interesting to me was 3pt shooting. I've been very critical of Marlin and his want to shoot a ton of perimeter shots. We've gone games where we shoot 25+ 3's but are shooting 30% or less as a team doing so. Saturday, we shot only 17 3's even though we shot over 60%. We were efficient which we couldn't say very much this season. I hope we stick to a similar recipe and don't get the swollen head and start putting up 30 3"s per game.

Also, I know people mentioned rebounding and why we didn't hit the offensive boards as hard as usual and it showed. We had only 6 to their 14. What sticks out to me as a slight concern though, is that that we gave up 14 offensive boards to Txst even though we are a better rebounding team. Not sure what the reason for that was since you can't blame it on not sending everybody to the boards like you can on the offensive side. Great win nonetheless.
    Good observation on the shooting. One other thing that I have noticed this season is we are taking more mid range shots. That may be because of the way defenses are playing us. Wilson, Russell, and Butts all made some of those on Saturday. I think that is a positive as it forces defenses to have to guard the entire court.

I'll add Davis to that. He got us for 18 assists in the two games in Lafayette, but was mostly a non factor in San Marcos.

It's going to be interesting down the stretch.

ULM and Arkansas State are the two worst teams in the division, but they've been competitive and somewhat successful at home. Neither team has won on the road.

Here's what's left
    UL 7-3 at Arkansas State (2), ULM, at ULM, UTA (2) at LR (2)
    TXST 5-3, LR(2) UTA, at UTA, Ark St (makeup game) at Ark St (2)
    LR 6-4 @TXST (2), ASU, at ASU, @ ULM (2), UL
    UTA 5-5 ULM (2), TXST, at TXST, @UL (2), ASTATE (2)
    ARK ST 3-5 UL (2), LR, @ LR, @TXST (makeup) TX ST (2), @ UTA
    ULM 2-8 @ UTA (2), @UL, UL, LR(2), @ TXST (2)

Note only one game between ASU and TXST will be made up. That means TXST loses a home game.

Arkansas State hosts both UL and TXST. Those are dangerous games for the leaders.
    Little Rock has to go to Texas State this weekend. If either sweeps, the other is done, I think.

Lots of basketball to be played. It's going to be fun the final four weeks.

3. Default Re: Live Game Talk: G4 Louisiana 74 Texas State 73

Checking out the Cajuns conference stats? Really we’re much better than our stats suggest. We’re near the bottom half in most of the categories. We’re 5/1 in one possession games.

I think a big improvement is being made in shot selection. Russel is good enough to create his own 3 the others not so much. Not trying to force shots creates easier shots.

Quote Originally Posted by wscoog View Post
    I think a big improvement is being made in shot selection. Russel is good enough to create his own 3 the others not so much. Not trying to force shots creates easier shots.
    Having a big man in the post who can score helps with inside/out game, allows for a better shot selection..

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Having a big man in the post who can score helps with inside/out game, allows for a better shot selection..
    This is true but we weren't always going to our big men in the post as we were running 4 out and 1 in while taking a high volume of shots from outside.

The highlight for me was the behind the back pass in the lane by Au. That was a great assist.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    The shots I have a problem are the ones like Gueye throwing up 3 pointers early in the shot clock and Butts shooting contested 3s. Often it is the extra pass that allows a 3 point shot to be uncontested which makes it an easier shot. The dribble penetration is huge in this regard. Theo has been a pleasant surprise but adding Gordon, Butts and Harper playing quality team basketball gives this team a real chance to make some noise. Wilson can be the x factor, when he is under control he is a difference maker.

9. Default Re: Final: G4 Louisiana 74 Texas State 73

This game was epic.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Checking out the Cajuns conference stats? Really we’re much better than our stats suggest. We’re near the bottom half in most of the categories. We’re 5/1 in one possession games.

I am glad Express pointed out we are doing well in close games. Last time I did that we promptly lost an OT game to Little Rock. As far as the other stats go, we probably are OK in some of the defensive stats. As pointed out in another thread we are eighth in the nation in 2 point shots blocked per game while Awkuba is fourth in the nation in blocked shots. Our rebound margin was pretty good until this past weekend. I bet we are also OK in turnovers forced and defensive field goal percentage allowed. I am not surprised we are not amongst leaders in most offensive categories. Turnovers are still a concern of mine. There have been hints in recent games that the shooting is improving. If that continues, success will continue as defense and rebounding travels.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Thread Information