Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Name Advances

1. Default Re: Name Advances

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I think the band would have to get a LOT better before calling it the pride of Louisiana. It may not even be the best marching band in Lafayette.
    "Pride of Acadiana" most definitely references an area. Geo Pride

"Pride of Louisiana" references the school. Edu Pride.

Default Re: Name Advances

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "Pride of Acadiana" most definitely references an area. Geo Pride

"Pride of Louisiana" references the school. Edu Pride.
    "Representing LOUISIANA, the PRIDE OF ACADIANA"

Or something similar that works them both in

All interesting and good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    How many fans know the name of the marching band from the majority of universities in the US? Changing the name of the band may be the right thing to do, but I don't believe it will move the needle at all in the adoption of the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns brand.
    True. And any name recognition the band may currently have would have to be built again from scratch

Im not sure i have pride for ALL of Louisiana. Some parts i definitely dont have pride for so not sure our band should represent all of them. Also does the band ever do any collabration with any Acadian bands from nova scotia? If so changing the name could hurt that and if not we need to start that!

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    True. And any name recognition the band may currently have would have to be built again from scratch
    We have finally achieved national recognition as Louisiana. Anything else further detracts from that name. The Pride of Acadiana makes no sense when referring to Louisiana. It only serves to confuse our identity. We are not the University of Acadiana. The band's name should reflect the name of the university. Anything other than The Pride of Louisiana is detrimental to our Louisiana name. It is time for an immediate change and have a coordinated Louisiana reference.

Houston Cajun just stuck the dismount on this discussion!

8. Default Re: Name Advances

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    The dismount is the hardest thing in Name Gymnastics

Default Re: ULL & UL-Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Why start a thread with this title? It seems kind of self defeating.
    Maybe.

But I think it's like a lot of other things: 'Aggies', 'Ramblin' Wreck', 'Boilermakers'. and any number of other terms meant to be pejoratives. Even the term 'Cajuns' was not meant to be a compliment for most of the past 250 years.

Once we're confident in our abilities and accomplishments, we just won't care any more. IMHO, once we can laugh at would-be insults, it will mean we've arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    Maybe.
    Here, here!
    But I think it's like a lot of other things: 'Aggies', 'Ramblin' Wreck', 'Boilermakers'. and any number of other terms meant to be pejoratives. Even the term 'Cajuns' was not meant to be a compliment for most of the past 250 years.

Once we're confident in our abilities and accomplishments, we just won't care any more. IMHO, once we can laugh at would-be insults, it will mean we've arrived.
    Here here!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    We have finally achieved national recognition as Louisiana. Anything else further detracts from that name. The Pride of Acadiana makes no sense when referring to Louisiana. It only serves to confuse our identity. We are not the University of Acadiana. The band's name should reflect the name of the university. Anything other than The Pride of Louisiana is detrimental to our Louisiana name. It is time for an immediate change and have a coordinated Louisiana reference.
    I’m thinking people aren’t at the games or they’re not listening to the intro

The band is ALWAYS introduced as “LOUISIANA’S Marching Band—THE Pride of Acadiana!!”

https://youtu.be/VGLaQ7wxKHQ

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    I’m thinking people aren’t at the games or they’re not listening to the intro

The band is ALWAYS introduced as “LOUISIANA’S Marching Band—THE Pride of Acadiana!!”

https://youtu.be/VGLaQ7wxKHQ
    It still creates a double identity that we don't need. We are The University of Louisiana NOT the University of Acadiana. The Pride of Louisiana says everything about who we are as a university. Everything we say and do should be LOUISIANA. Drop the Acadiana reference. It only further confuses our identity.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    While he made a great point, fact check: it was not the dismount, i see more posts. lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I think the band would have to get a LOT better before calling it the pride of Louisiana. It may not even be the best marching band in Lafayette.
    Any stats or rankings? Were they never at the level u describe or have they stumbled?

15. Default Re: Name Advances

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    While he made a great point, fact check: it was not the dismount, i see more posts. lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The dismount is the hardest thing in Name Gymnastics

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information