Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lights Out in C-Dome

Default Re: Lights Out in C-Dome

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Dan McDonald/Eric Mouton
    Thanks. From a technical perspective why (ive always wondered this for mlb too) cant they just run the radio feed through the video broadcast as well, why are two sets of announcers needed?

Will coaches never wear suits again? Not sure what that has to do with covid?

I’m no expert but I think it’s pretty clear that a game is called differently from the radio side, where you are trying to give the listener a description to where they can visualize the action in their head, and from the TV side where you are complementing the visual perspective they are seeing with their own eyes.

Default Re: Lights Out at CDome

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    If they make it he would have been giddy, and Marlin would have been pi ssed

Frankly the ball handler was just waiting to get the last shot off. Just dribbling away the seconds. Nothing changed except maybe he got surprised. They were back on before it went from 7 to 6. Starting about 9 seconds.
    Actually, they went off about the 5 second mark and came back on at about 2.8.

How many timeouts Little Rock had remaining is immaterial. It doesn't matter whether they had four or just one. The refs should have stopped play and reset the clock to about 9 or ten seconds and LR could inbound the ball at half court.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I’m no expert but I think it’s pretty clear that a game is called differently from the radio side, where you are trying to give the listener a description to where they can visualize the action in their head, and from the TV side where you are complementing the visual perspective they are seeing with their own eyes.
    Great point. I much prefer radio, but im usually not in the majority

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    But wouldnt that be an "operational" reason or a "preference" not a "technical" reason. So from a technical perspective it can be done i may assume? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    I wondered the same thing. But, for whatever reason, I'm glad they're not wearing suits. I always thought it was unnecessary. You're around sweaty players, be comfortable.

Not this year. Conference coaches voted to go “casual” this year.

But wouldnt that be an "operational" reason or a "preference" not a "technical" reason. So from a technical perspective it can be done i may assume? Thanks again.
    Wrong again...from a revenue standpoint as well as a broadcast rights one, 2 different companies, 2 different revenue streams. Back in the day, and maybe it's true now ( I'm no broadcast engineer)...radio broadcast originates over a dedicated line, tv is uploaded to a satellite...but I may be way off on that...there are ways to sync up a radiocast of a game with tv. WWL radio offers that with Saints broadcasts. "Turn down the sound on your tv..and" etc. If you don't sync the broadcasts, video will be ahead of audio or vice versa...

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    I wondered the same thing. But, for whatever reason, I'm glad they're not wearing suits. I always thought it was unnecessary. You're around sweaty players, be comfortable.
    Ha. Concur! At my HS they didnt want "dress shoes" ever walking in the court for fear of damage, lol

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Wrong again...from a revenue standpoint as well as a broadcast rights one, 2 different companies, 2 different revenue streams. Back in the day, and maybe it's true now ( I'm no broadcast engineer)...radio broadcast originates over a dedicated line, tv is uploaded to a satellite...but I may be way off on that...there are ways to sync up a radiocast of a game with tv. WWL radio offers that with Saints broadcasts. "Turn down the sound on your tv..and" etc. If you don't sync the broadcasts, video will be ahead of audio or vice versa...
    Cool. Very interesting. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Not this year. Conference coaches voted to go “casual” this year.
    Up to coaches, interesting. Must be nice to set your own wules, lol, can they vote to pay recruits next?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    You are all correct. Part of it is the radio broadcaster doing a TV broadcast. Some schools do that but I'm not a fan. On a tv broadcast, the picture does 2/3 of the work.

But you are also correct about revenue streams, especially with the advent of ESPN+. It still would be possible to, on the TV broadcast, cut away from radio to run the TV spots. But I think the University is doing the right thing with separate broadcasts.

Thanks. Makes sense.... But as far as that 2\3s thats true. But too often the "tv people" use that to talk 2\3 about other crap and not the game at hand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information