Thread: WR 2021

UL Football WR 2021

with Covid free year pass for all, the Fresh/Soph WR this year will still be Fresh/Soph again next year. The whole team gets this bye.

Default Re: WR 2021

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    That's an excellent point of comparisons. However, to use your common rebuttal tactic, Levi is not a better passer than Jake and isn't a better runner than Brian. Ha!

Looking at next season, I fully expect to see Levi's passing skills improve. Having another year work on his craft, at his age with his experience will do wonders for his confidence. All the playing time he's had under fire, will definitely work in his favor next year. The other factor that will surely help is if we get back Bell & Allen, then add in the Leblanc, Gossett and the kid from TCU plus the 3 FR receivers from this season....and the A&M transfer at TE to go with Lumpkin and Johnson. Wow....that's exciting!
    I would be interested in your take, but I think our WR/TE group was average this year. Leblanc is a good WR, but he did not rise to the level of a WR1. Lacey had a fantastic FR campaign, but again he was not a #1. Almost every team I saw this year had a clear WR1 who could make tough catches in traffic. Even UTSA had a guy like that. Not saying our receiver group did not make spectacular plays...they did, one of these guys needs to step up. I have zero doubt we go 11-0 this year if we have a Bradley type WR.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I would be interested in your take, but I think our WR/TE group was average this year. Leblanc is a good WR, but he did not rise to the level of a WR1. Lacey had a fantastic FR campaign, but again he was not a #1. Almost every team I saw this year had a clear WR1 who could make tough catches in traffic. Even UTSA had a guy like that. Not saying our receiver group did not make spectacular plays...they did, one of these guys needs to step up. I have zero doubt we go 11-0 this year if we have a Bradley type WR.
    Remember this, Jamal Bell did not play, his numbers from 2019 would have been #1 in receptions (34 vs Kyren Lacy 28) and Yards (445 vs 364 Lacy). We also think we are going to get something out of TCU transfer John Stephens JR, who had 11 receptions for TCU in 2019 and played very little in 2020. He is 6'5" tall.

I doubt he will come back, but I would love to see Jalen Williams come back for another season, he really came on this year.

Also Cassius Allen had some nice catches tale end of 2019 and he will be back as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Remember this, Jamal Bell did not play, his numbers from 2019 would have been #1 in receptions (34 vs Kyren Lacy 28) and Yards (445 vs 364 Lacy). We also think we are going to get something out of TCU transfer John Stephens JR, who had 11 receptions for TCU in 2019 and played very little in 2020. He is 6'5" tall.

I doubt he will come back, but I would love to see Jalen Williams come back for another season, he really came on this year.

Also Cassius Allen had some nice catches tale end of 2019 and he will be back as well.
    34 receptions might have led the team but doesn't mean it makes him a WR#1. I think what Metry was trying to say is we didn't have a go to guy when we needed to make a play. Bradley was that type of guy but we don't have any on our current roster or so it seems at least.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    34 receptions might have led the team but doesn't mean it makes him a WR#1. I think what Metry was trying to say is we didn't have a go to guy when we needed to make a play. Bradley was that type of guy but we don't have any on our current roster or so it seems at least.
    Bradley is a rare commodity in college football. And even Bradley only had 21 catches as a Freshman, then only had 39 as a Sophomore. Hell he only had 40 as a Junior. He did not explode even though he was very good, until his 60 catch Senior Season. Also, Lacy had 34 catches as a True Freshman. Lacy can be and will be that guy, will he be as good or better than Bradley, I don't know, but Bradley had a combined 3 TD catches his first 2 years. Then as a Junior had 10. Lacy had 4 this year in just 11 games.

My point is that if you get Bell on the field, it probably makes Lacy even better as a true freshman than Bradley was as a Freshman.

6. Default Re: WR 2021

Let’s all acknowledge the fact that Peter was hobbled most of the season including the bowl game. He can be much better.

Agreed nobody stepped out as a receiver who could simply outfight the defenders. But they get very open. Get them the ball.

Bradley is a rare commodity in college football. And even Bradley only had 21 catches as a Freshman, then only had 39 as a Sophomore. Hell he only had 40 as a Junior. He did not explode even though he was very good, until his 60 catch Senior Season. Also, Lacy had 34 catches as a True Freshman. Lacy can be and will be that guy, will he be as good or better than Bradley, I don't know, but Bradley had a combined 3 TD catches his first 2 years. Then as a Junior had 10. Lacy had 4 this year in just 11 games.

My point is that if you get Bell on the field, it probably makes Lacy even better as a true freshman than Bradley was as a Freshman.
    I'm not sure why Bradley's numbers in his freshman season have much to do with this issue. Forget the numbers, the question is Bell a #1 receiver? A guy we throw to when we need that 3rd down pickup etc..That is the only point I was making and I just used Bradley as an example although I could have inserted Javone Lawson, Harry Peoples etc...

The lack of consistency at WR this year was our biggest issue in my opinion. That said, I think we have, as a whole, a tremendous amount of raw talent there. Lacy is going to be really good and I like Rogers a lot as well. Jamal Bell returning would be big...and any transfers that can help could make us quite good at that position next year.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    The lack of consistency at WR this year was our biggest issue in my opinion. That said, I think we have, as a whole, a tremendous amount of raw talent there. Lacy is going to be really good and I like Rogers a lot as well. Jamal Bell returning would be big...and any transfers that can help could make us quite good at that position next year.
    I definitely agree that their lack of consistency was our biggest issue on offense and why Levi's numbers were slightly down from last year as well. I also think we have some good talent there so I don't want to sound like I'm criticizing those guys at all. I agree on Lacy and I thought Fleming looked really good at times. I'd like to see a healthy Cassius Allen back as well.

Leblanc played hurt from Georgia southern game on.

11. Default Re: WR 2021

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm not sure why Bradley's numbers in his freshman season have much to do with this issue. Forget the numbers, the question is Bell a #1 receiver? A guy we throw to when we need that 3rd down pickup etc..That is the only point I was making and I just used Bradley as an example although I could have inserted Javone Lawson, Harry Peoples etc...
    I was comparing lacy as a freshman to Bradley as a freshman. Lacy as a freshman was better than Bradley. My point is lacy has the ability to turn out to be that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    Absolutely unbelievable. Last year, when we went 10-2 and finished 11-3 just outside of ranking; I was elated as a Cajuns fan. This year, we go 10-1 with a share of the Conference title, 3rd division championship in row; and nationally ranked with a chance to end the season in the top 15 and SOME of you are gonna still complain??? Y’all are like married women who have a great life and still find things to B!+€H about!! Get on with it man. We have a great future of Football ahead...some great recruits coming in. The Volleyball team was ranked this year. Basketball is doing it’s job; baseball and softball are around the corner. Geaux Cajuns and shut the hell up...
    There would be no need for message boards if people did not voice concerns about their teams. Granted most of us don’t know the intricacies of what we are viewing but that does not stop us from commenting. Would not be much fun if we all agreed with everything the team does.

13. Default Re: WR 2021

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Leblanc played hurt from Georgia southern game on.
    ......I had heard that it was a groin muscle pull or strain.....,you can play in games to an extent, but you ain’t there at full speed which takes away max performance!

I think Peter Leblanc has so much up potential. I just wish that he and Levi would have been on the same page more. Next year, I hope there is more of a rapport. I would love to hear Jay say Lewis to Leblanc....Touchdown......all year long.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    There would be no need for message boards if people did not voice concerns about their teams. Granted most of us don’t know the intricacies of what we are viewing but that does not stop us from commenting. Would not be much fun if we all agreed with everything the team does.
    Bump
    absolutely!

Thread Information