Thread: Bowl Payouts: Know Your Place

Support Bowl Payouts: Know Your Place

I'll tell you what royally ____es me off.

I live up in the great white north of Wisconsin. It's a great place to live, and I've made no secret that one of our models to follow should be UW. It's a great program, has great fans, and their programs are consistently in the top tier of the B1G. Not only that, their academics are top notch.

So they're playing in something called the Duke's Mayo Bowl. Which, on its face, isn't much better than the First Responders' Bowl, or the Cure Bowl. It's not a NY6 bowl, just some made up bowl owned by ESPN that takes place in a large Southern city between Christmas and New Year's Day.

But look at the payouts:

Cure Bowl: ~$573K
    First Reponders: ~$825K
    Duke's Mayo: ~$4.7M

If you're looking for how the powers that be view ranked G5 teams versus unranked, mediocre P5 teams, you've found it. A G5 team can have a perfect or as close to perfect a season as you can get, and still get treated with utter disdain by ESPN and the P5. Meanwhile, a P5 team can put a mediocre product on the field, and still take home a multimillion dollar payout at the end of the season. It's simply disgusting.

I agree, the Sun Belt is rising. But there will always be a glass ceiling for us and other G5 leagues. That includes the AAC, even though they like to call themselves part of the P6.

Default Re: Bowl Payouts: Know Your Place

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    I'll tell you what royally ____es me off.

I live up in the great white north of Wisconsin. It's a great place to live, and I've made no secret that one of our models to follow should be UW. It's a great program, has great fans, and their programs are consistently in the top tier of the B1G. Not only that, their academics are top notch.

So they're playing in something called the Duke's Mayo Bowl. Which, on its face, isn't much better than the First Responders' Bowl, or the Cure Bowl. It's not a NY6 bowl, just some made up bowl owned by ESPN that takes place in a large Southern city between Christmas and New Year's Day.

But look at the payouts:

Cure Bowl: ~$573K
    First Reponders: ~$825K
    Duke's Mayo: ~$4.7M

If you're looking for how the powers that be view ranked G5 teams versus unranked, mediocre P5 teams, you've found it. A G5 team can have a perfect or as close to perfect a season as you can get, and still get treated with utter disdain by ESPN and the P5. Meanwhile, a P5 team can put a mediocre product on the field, and still take home a multimillion dollar payout at the end of the season. It's simply disgusting.

I agree, the Sun Belt is rising. But there will always be a glass ceiling for us and other G5 leagues. That includes the AAC, even though they like to call themselves part of the P6.
    Good points. Agree, it is disgusting. They will never freely give up that big money to the G5.

3. Default Re: Bowl Payouts: Know Your Place

In a single season, it seems there are multiple check points in the system to hold G5 teams at bay.

From always being ranked 10 spots or more behind Iowa State, despite beating them and despite 1/3 the losses.

Then getting knocked out of the top-25 by teams who haven't played yet but are starting play the NEXT week.

Than being punished for being idle.

Then dropping more than Iowa State did when they had their second loss.

Then the bowls awarded through the payout system.

To high # of scholarships allowed as well as total roster size (including walkons)

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    To high # of scholarships allowed as well as total roster size (including walkons)
    No difference between P5 and G5.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    No difference between P5 and G5.
    Good point. Lol.

The payouts are just smoke and mirrors to begin with. Most of those "payouts" are in the form of opportunities to sell tickets. If you don't sell your ticket allotment then you don't make the money posted.

Years ago UConn lost money when they played in the Fiesta Bowl. Unless your one of the final four teams or playing a contract (P5) bowl you aren't in the dough.

Where the real money is made is on the distribution of the BCS funds and the contract bowls and when it comes to that the G5 are given a few crumbs and told to go on their way.

so how is it being handled this year, the school didnt have an opportunity to sell tickets

Thread Information