Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: QB 2021

1. Default Re: QB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Define "many" you have 4 games to pick from.
    Bingo.

Default Re: QB 2021

I remain amazed at the comments concerning our quarterback.

As many of you know, I've been around for a while. Here are some of my observations:

Levi doesn't do a great job with the deep ball. And, part of it is because we didn't have a deep threat this year. Having said that, it's the weakest part of his game. I'm sure that's a deal breaker for you "Bombs Away" fans.

Someone remarked he wanted a quarterback who would throw the ball a lot. Better hope for a new coach. Coach Napier's philosophy is to run the football, which is the philosophy of most coaches who win consistently.

Levi's record as a starter under Napier is 21-4. Please find me a time when we won 21 games in two seasons. I'll hang up and listen.

Levi Lewis is the best quarterback in the history of this program when running the two minute drill. Don't believe me? Go do some research and let me know how many times we've scored just before halftime with little time on the clock. He's also done it at the end of games as well.

You bring up the interception vs. CCU. I think it's the only pick he threw all year deep in our territory. And, even with that, if we don't false start on third and one and then drop a sure first down pass on the next play, we probably finish the season undefeated.

While a quarterback by himself doesn't win games, he doesn't lose them either. Although we won Saturday, we had four balls that should have been caught on Saturday. Two of them would have been touchdowns. But I'm sure you haters overlook stuff like that.

Levi is called upon to make snap decisions at the line of scrimmage. While he doesn't always make the correct one, I'll guess he's right more than 80 percent of the time. There are many quarterbacks in the country who aren't nearly as cerebral.

Levi doesn't get sacked often and it's not just the O-line that gets credit for that. Only Brian Mitchell in my time watching the Cajuns was the only QB better in avoiding the sack.

You guys can nit pick about his limitations all day long if it fits your agenda. Some of us are still trying to figure out what your agenda is.

As Jay said, Levi does not throw the deep ball well. As hard as that guy works, I can see him improving in that area. As Slick Rick says, he needs to throw the ball less on a line and with more air when he goes deep. He also could develop a little more touch on the short throws. Occasionally he throws those too hard. I will reiterate with Jay said about his decision making. That is the one thing Coach Napier constantly talks about when discussing Levi with supporters. Billy thinks Levi is one of the best in the nation in that regard. Only observation I make about that is occasionally he looks to throw a risky ball when it is obvious he could run for the first down. Like every player, he has his good traits and weaknesses. He works harder than most at overcoming his weaknesses however and is clearly our best player at that position. There is no arguing that point. Going forward, it would be beneficial to put more teams away early next season in order to develop his replacement.

These haters...man, LL is not the total offense. He is an important part of it. Some QB are the "offense runs through me" guys. Others are like LL, he's a part of the offense. If you want a QB who has the offense run through them, I suggest you start following another team...

And Jay Walker finally comes in and ends all arguments with historical facts and perspective. I have come to respect Levi as a QB and team leader and realize Napier was right all along sticking with Levi. I can’t wait to see how good he will be in his third starting season. I’m hoping besides smith we can refill the RB coral.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    As Jay said, Levi does not throw the deep ball well. As hard as that guy works, I can see him improving in that area. As Slick Rick says, he needs to throw the ball less on a line and with more air when he goes deep. He also could develop a little more touch on the short throws. Occasionally he throws those too hard. I will reiterate with Jay said about his decision making. That is the one thing Coach Napier constantly talks about when discussing Levi with supporters. Billy thinks Levi is one of the best in the nation in that regard. Only observation I make about that is occasionally he looks to throw a risky ball when it is obvious he could run for the first down. Like every player, he has his good traits and weaknesses. He works harder than most at overcoming his weaknesses however and is clearly our best player at that position. There is no arguing that point. Going forward, it would be beneficial to put more teams away early next season in order to develop his replacement.
    Personally I think Levi throws the deep ball plenty good enough, he just waits a little too long to throw it. If he would throw it a second or 2 earlier the receivers could go get it instead of coming back for it. His arm strength is plenty.

Is this thread a joke? Seriously

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    These haters...man, LL is not the total offense. He is an important part of it. Some QB are the "offense runs through me" guys. Others are like LL, he's a part of the offense. If you want a QB who has the offense run through them, I suggest you start following another team...
    Exactly, maybe Levi is doing exactly what’s being asked of him. Also think about what Alabama’s offense looked like while Napier was there...look familiar? Trent Richardson, Eddie lacy, TJ yeldon, Derek Henry etc.now think about their QB’s, great leaders who make good decisions and take care of the football.

It's insane to me that we have fans that can see our last three seasons under Napier and actually think he doesn't put who he thinks is the best player on the field at each position.

10. Default Re: QB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    Is this thread a joke? Seriously
    Not really, however a couple of Jokers did make an appearance.

That did not age well.

11. Default Re: QB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    That's an extremely biased opinion. I can't think of any games he won with his arm...or his legs. I can think of many situations where his limitations cost us games, though. With a competent, hell even less mobile of a QB...and I think we are better than 21-4. That's how good the roster around him is.

Now...you get Napier's head out of his ass...and he figures out what he has in Lewis as a "QB"...this team is dangerous. More dangerous than 10-1 with a win over a ranked Big 12 team. Lewis is here to stay...and he should be. His team wins...not because of him...but we win WITH him. Very important distinction. Lewis is not a weapon in this offense...he is merely a piece of it. With his talent...that's a crying shame. Napier wants him to be something he 1000% is not.
    Don’t know what you got behind LL. You can say you do, but you don’t. Lewis legs and arm have come at important times in games to win for us. I’m not going to go through them, but you’re factually wrong.

Sure there’s better QB than Lewis, maybe on the team now, but not yet. Napier has zero obligation to LL. He’s a Hud recruit with several Billy recruits waiting to take over. Maybe none will ever be best of their time. We just don’t know.

This team is an awesome 21-4 in the past two years. (a Team stat)

Therefore, we don't need any position to improve. (the logic of many)

Again, the team wins/losses have no direct relation to the individual position. Many want it too when it's convenient to try and support their argument.

Our FG kicking game is great, because we are 21-4. No improvement needed, right?
    Have you seen our FG kicking game?

Just for clarity on my position (play on words there), I have not seen a better QB on our team than Levi. It's Coach Napier's (who I completely want as our coach) responsibility to get one and it's going on year 4 and we don't have any QB competition. That's my whole point when posting about the QB position.

Let’s imagine for a second that there is a QB competition at every practice and Levi is winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    This team is an awesome 21-4 in the past two years. (a Team stat)

Therefore, we don't need any position to improve. (the logic of many)

Again, the team wins/losses have no direct relation to the individual position. Many want it too when it's convenient to try and support their argument.

Our FG kicking game is great, because we are 21-4. No improvement needed, right?
    Have you seen our FG kicking game?

Just for clarity on my position (play on words there), I have not seen a better QB on our team than Levi. It's Coach Napier's (who I completely want as our coach) responsibility to get one and it's going on year 4 and we don't have any QB competition. That's my whole point when posting about the QB position.
    In the end, it reads as that those who think Napier should have recruited and developed a better QB than Levi by now are at its core just saying they know the QB position and what it takes to be a good QB on a college football team better than Coach does. In spite of all the result, stats, and team leadership.

Napier in 3 years has given us back to back double digit win seasons. Previously school has 0. And that’s after taking over a losing team. I guess some fans wanted better by now. Like cfp and national champion.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information