Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts

Default Re: Covidflop Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    People have been suggesting all sorts of reactions and retribution toward CCU.

Personally I like the coach who told his players, "The best payback is on the scoreboard."

Again, maybe the Ballchinians really did have the Covid situation they claimed. But to let our team fly up there, and announce, after landing, that the game was off?

That was a slap in the face. Not just to the football team, but to all of us. It was an insult to the athletic department, to UL, and to our fans and supporters across Louisiana & around the world.

UL was nationally humiliated.

So here is my invitation to all of our student athletes, in all sports: this is motivation. Protect your University.

Get payback on the scoreboard.
    I love the title of this thread. They surely have done a a Covid flop!

2. UL Football Re: Covidflop Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_in_NM View Post
    After a night to digest all of this, I've come to a different thought. I don't blame CCU. They acted in the rules and just happen to get the benefit of the doubt...good for them.
    But did they? There are countless schools that have dealt with multiple positive tests (not just one, as with Coastal) and they were able to play the games. How? These programs (including ours) properly executed the "distancing protocols" and therefore were not subject to losing large swaths of players due to the contact tracing mandate. If it is in fact true that these players (all of the D-Lineman on the roster) should properly be declared ineligible to play due to contact tracing (player contact with the D-line coach that tested positive on Thursday after a negative test Wednesday), this is the fault of the Coastal Carolina football program for failure to execute the proper procedures and constraints.

Do I think that the contact tracing mandate was violated with all of their D-Lineman? My "guess" is that they did not violate this mandate and that they simply do not want this game for a plethora of reasons (including Chadwell's contract tracing ... pun intended). And in a day and age when the public is hypersensitive about Covid, the Coastal program is not going to be held to account (and asked the hard questions) for making the decision that they did. There are people out there that simply want the economy and all activity to cease ... and this plays right into all of it.

Thus, if the contact tracing mandate was legitimately violated, then this is the fault and responsibility of the Coastal football program. As such, Coastal Carolina is to blame regardless of what you believe happened.

Another opinion of mine ... if the Sun Belt had the championship game rules instituted by the Pac-12 (meaning App State would be playing the Cajuns in the title game if Coastal was unavailable to play), I have no doubt that we would be playing this game against Coastal Carolina this afternoon.

Brian

It’s like a freaking bad dream that keeps coming up. Know that it’s championship Saturday makes it worse. Going to be hard to get through the day

After a night to digest all of this, I've come to a different thought. I don't blame CCU. They acted in the rules and just happen to get the benefit of the doubt...good for them.

My disappointment is with the conference. They could have used new 7 day CDC guidelines and rescheduled the game for Thursday, Christmas Eve. That's maximum conference exposure and the chance of bigger things for both teams.

As weird as 2020 has been, I can't imagine bowls nor working with SBC on this one.
    Problem is they select Sunday night for the NY6 bowl

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    But did they? There are countless schools that have dealt with multiple positive tests (not just one, as with Coastal) and they were able to play the games. How? These programs (including ours) properly executed the "distancing protocols" and therefore were not subject to losing large swaths of players due to the contact tracing mandate. If it is in fact true that these players (all of the D-Lineman on the roster) should properly be declared ineligible to play due to contact tracing (player contact with the D-line coach that tested positive on Thursday after a negative test Wednesday), this is the fault of the Coastal Carolina football program for failure to execute the proper procedures and constraints.

Do I think that the contact tracing mandate was violated with all of their D-Lineman? My "guess" is that they did not violate this mandate and that they simply do not want this game for a plethora of reasons (including Chadwell's contract tracing ... pun intended). And in a day and age when the public is hypersensitive about Covid, the Coastal program is not going to be held to account (and asked the hard questions) for making the decision that they did. There are people out there that simply want the economy and all activity to cease ... and this plays right into all of it.

Thus, if the contact tracing mandate was legitimately violated, then this is the fault and responsibility of the Coastal football program. As such, Coastal Carolina is to blame regardless of what you believe happened.

Another opinion of mine ... if the Sun Belt had the championship game rules instituted by the Pac-12 (meaning App State would be playing the Cajuns in the title game if Coastal was unavailable to play), I have no doubt that we would be playing this game against Coastal Carolina this afternoon.

Brian
    As always, Brian, you are SPOT ON with this!

6. Default Re: Covidflop Carolina

I've gotta say, Brian hit the nail on the head. Didn't think about the PAC-12 thought process. Again, CCU got away with it...I still blame the conference for the majority of allowing this to happen. Really can't believe this occurred; this was the SBC's chance to make a name on national recognition (championship) day.

7. Default Re: Covidflop Carolina

Brian
    Brilliant!

Brilliance is recognized by its obviousness heretofore unnoticed.

8. Default Re: Covidflop Carolina

Brian
    The most important opinion on the flop. The fix was in for the highest ranked team regardless of which team it was.

I’m not going to pile on the coach. Especially if he got C19 from his household. But I’m absolutely going to put the blame on Coastal and their C19 management. If they were following protocol and social distancing, then there would be no need to quarantine an entire group. If they are following the CDC definition of “direct contact” to determine who needs to quarantine, then that means they screwed up if that many guys are out.

This is 100% on them and it’s sickening to see them potentially be rewarded for it.

They destroyed what was the biggest SunBelt game ever and now they are acting like they’re above it. Not even entertaining the notion of a another matchup? I know it’s not up to them, but if Chadwell came right out and said they still want to play instead of taking the “we’re on to bigger and better things” attitude, then you’d bet a reschedule would have gained some traction. At least among the court of public opinion.

Every team in the country has played under the same circumstance in dealing with C19. They’ve played short handed, they’ve rescheduled, no one was immune. If CC wanted to play the game, they could shuffle players around just like we did, UAB did, like every other team has likely done at some point this year. In my opinion, it was about preserving the record.

10. Default Re: Covidflop Carolina

The issue with contract tracing is that it is very easy to manipulate the facts for the desired result.

If CC was looking at determining players available to play in the Peach Bowl, you can bet your bottom dollar there would have been no position group excluded by contact tracing.

However, if contract tracing facts are reported for a game that you do not want to play, we saw the results.

Further, with the new 7 day rules, it makes it even easier to game the system.

Just sayin.

How many players are out for Ohio State? 20 plus? How on earth am I watching them on tv? Seems impossible. Oh wait, they want to play a football game.

Heck, USC played “replacement” Oregon. And lost.

When my kids played his sports, there was smack “It’s ok to say you’re scared”. CCU fix was in as soon as the final whistle at Troy. It’s ok SBC and Costal, just say it.

13. Default Re: Covidflop Carolina

After a night to digest all of this, I've come to a different thought. I don't blame CCU. They acted in the rules and just happen to get the benefit of the doubt...good for them. .......

My disappointment is with the conference. They could have used new 7 day CDC guidelines and rescheduled the game for Thursday, Christmas Eve. That's maximum conference exposure and the chance of bigger things for both teams.

As weird as 2020 has been, I can't imagine bowls nor working with SBC on this one.
    .........So seems like a great problem solver....any reason not to do..... has it been suggested? So Tulsa wins and CC wins CC might go to #6 ......Tulsa and UL win we could go .....Cinn wins and it’s all over except a Christmas Eve or bowl matchup!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan79 View Post
    Problem is they select Sunday night for the NY6 bowl
    That’s not an issue, if Tulsa wins just announce the selection as winner of our championship game.

Default Re: Your Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Tulsa wins tomorrow, I'd worry if I'm CCU. The powers that be can see thru bs. They're experts at it.
    Not so sure....they _____ed and moaned about ohio state playing in title game so seems some would approve of their decision if not influenced it

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information