Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread: MBB G5: Louisiana 61, Tech 56

Default Re: Final: Louisiana 61, Tech 56

Didn't see the game, but was referring to them being in the top 1/3 of cusa for much of the time they've been in it.

2. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 61, Tech 56

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Didn't see the game, but was referring to them being in the top 1/3 of cusa for much of the time they've been in it.
    Isn’t that how many like to describe Marlin?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I didn’t get a chance to watch the game until this morning. In my opinion one of the biggest differences in the tale of 2 halves was the reliance on the 3 in the first half. 1st half field goal attempts were 14 from 2pt range and 15 from 3. The 2nd half was 25 from 2pt range and 10 from 3. Some of that was from the change in defense creating some more transition baskets, but there was a clear transition in the game plan as well. There was a little 6-0 run at the beginning of the come back were they went inside and scored on 3 straight possessions I think. It also reversed the foul trouble from Akwuba to Lofton, eventually causing him to foul out. A big part of that was having Richards to be able to still attack down low while Akwuba was on the bench, he is turning into a fine young player. I agree on Dou’s outside shooting starting to become cringe worthy. He is now 2-14 from 3 on the season and 1 of those 2 was the lucky bank he got in the LSUA game. All in all a nice come back from dead win, per the ESPN win probability Tech was at 98% about 2 minutes in to the 2nd half.
    Dou is certainly a maddening player. The shot selection has to be addressed and his stats are all over the place. He leads the team in turnover and is shooting a whopping 15% from 3 but he's also 2nd on the team in assists, rebounding and he's averaging over 3 offensive boards per game. If we could just get his decision making in order, he could be a very impactful player.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Dou is certainly a maddening player. The shot selection has to be addressed and his stats are all over the place. He leads the team in turnover and is shooting a whopping 15% from 3 but he's also 2nd on the team in assists, rebounding and he's averaging over 3 offensive boards per game. If we could just get his decision making in order, he could be a very impactful player.
    He shouldn't be starting and should play in 2-3 min spurts. Maybe 8-10 min a game.

Not sure who would start in his place at this stage. Richards and Awkuba in together may be interesting but I am not sure how we would address teams going small if we did. Agree Dou’s shot selection needs to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    He shouldn't be starting and should play in 2-3 min spurts. Maybe 8-10 min a game.
    Your statement may have been true a year ago. But Dou is the most improved player on the team. He's averaging double figures in rebounds and is a very good passer.

And, for those of you complaining about his three point shooting (I agree with you by the way), Malik Wilson has been even worse so far this year. Gueye is 2-14. Wilson is 2-16.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Not sure who would start in his place at this stage. Richards and Awkuba in together may be interesting but I am not sure how we would address teams going small if we did. Agree Dou’s shot selection needs to get better.
    I'd start Butts. I think Kobe takes Dou's spot in the lineup if he gets healthy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    Your statement may have been true a year ago. But Dou is the most improved player on the team. He's averaging double figures in rebounds and is a very good passer.

And, for those of you complaining about his three point shooting (I agree with you by the way), Malik Wilson has been even worse so far this year. Gueye is 2-14. Wilson is 2-16.
    He's averaging double figures in rebounds due to having 17 against an outmanned LSUS team. Mylik has to shoot the ball to open up his driving lanes. I close my eyes every time Dou puts the ball on the floor.

I also cringe when he begins to dribble, but you can see the improvement in him over last year. If he can continue to cut down on what is not working and continue what is he can be a good contributor.

Addendum: We have many players that need to cut down on what is not working and continue what is BUT if they continue to play like they did in the second half against those techsters we will have a good team!

I'd like to see Wilson in more of an Elfrid Payton role where he penetrates and either gets to the rim or can make a play off the pass. Outside shooting should be at a minimum or when he's wide open. As he shoots better, then his volume can go up as well.

I noticed that line for Wilson yesterday as well when looking at season stats. Thinking back on last year Mylik seemed to be very inconsistent shooting from outside but on the season he actually shot a slightly higher percentage than Russell, 36% compared to 34%. Wilson should get the opportunity to shoot his way out of the slump, he probably isn’t going to put up more than 2-3 shots from 3 anyway and he does so many other things to help the team. Another illustration that Dou just doesn’t have his shooting touch right now is he is only 3 for 11 from the foul line, he is clearly better than that as he shot 75% on the season last year. For Dou I would keep him down low and let him get his touch back on free throws (which will come if he is battling down low and driving to the basket) then maybe let him start shooting a little more from outside. Another thing I have always hated about having a big guy come out to shoot a 3 compared to a guard is that it also decreases the chance of grabbing an offensive board off the miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I noticed that line for Wilson yesterday as well when looking at season stats. Thinking back on last year Mylik seemed to be very inconsistent shooting from outside but on the season he actually shot a slightly higher percentage than Russell, 36% compared to 34%. Wilson should get the opportunity to shoot his way out of the slump, he probably isn’t going to put up more than 2-3 shots from 3 anyway and he does so many other things to help the team. Another illustration that Dou just doesn’t have his shooting touch right now is he is only 3 for 11 from the foul line, he is clearly better than that as he shot 75% on the season last year. For Dou I would keep him down low and let him get his touch back on free throws (which will come if he is battling down low and driving to the basket) then maybe let him start shooting a little more from outside. Another thing I have always hated about having a big guy come out to shoot a 3 compared to a guard is that it also decreases the chance of grabbing an offensive board off the miss.
    Dou was perfect at line tonight. Struggled in that regard due to having a bandaged hand in previous game. Answer for Mylik perimeter shot is go mid range as he can jump over most defenders. Had a nice one Saturday and two tonight. That will still allow some driving lanes.

I mentioned to Coach last night that those baseline jumpers from 15-18' away reminded me of Byron Starks.

15. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 61, Tech 56

I mentioned to Coach last night that those baseline jumpers from 15-18' away reminded me of Byron Starks.
    A little BS ... is a good thing.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Thread Information