Thread: Louisiana's Theo Akwuba is imposing at 6-foot-11 with a 7-6 wingspan

1. UL Basketball Louisiana's Theo Akwuba is imposing at 6-foot-11 with a 7-6 wingspan

He was billed as a 6-foot-11, rebounding, shot-blocking big man with a 7-6 wingspan.

But early in his first season as a Ragin’ Cajun, Theo Akwuba ... has established himself as a bona fide point producer.

2. Default Re: Louisiana's Theo Akwuba is imposing at 6-foot-11 with a 7-6 wingspan

Akwuba is shooting at an astounding .815 clip, he is fifth on the team in attempted shots, and is only 19 points behind two players who have attempted twice as many shots as he has.

Default Re: Louisiana's Theo Akwuba is imposing at 6-foot-11 with a 7-6 wingspan

His build reminds me of the Greek Freak...

Default Re: Louisiana's Theo Akwuba is imposing at 6-foot-11 with a 7-6 wingspan

I will admit I was a little bit of a doubter that he would be an offensive threat looking at his numbers coming out of Portland (which was not a very good team). He only hit double digits in scoring 3 times in 52 games there. This is obviously a better fit for him system wise, some credit needs to be given to the coaching staff for recognizing the potential and bringing him along this quickly. I also think having a guy like Akwuba to bang against daily in practice is going to help Richards develop quickly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I will admit I was a little bit of a doubter that he would be an offensive threat looking at his numbers coming out of Portland (which was not a very good team). He only hit double digits in scoring 3 times in 52 games there. This is obviously a better fit for him system wise, some credit needs to be given to the coaching staff for recognizing the potential and bringing him along this quickly. I also think having a guy like Akwuba to bang against daily in practice is going to help Richards develop quickly as well.
    Richards was a key factor in win. Awkuba has not scored much the last two games but has still done well on the glass and on defense. Hatch is right in that sometimes a player improves in a different system. Recall Frank Bartley went from scoring four points a game at BYU to being the Louisiana player of the year his senior season. He parlayed that to being an All Star in Canada and player of the year in Spain in 2019-20. I am not saying Theo will do something similar but we do have precedence for a guy taking big steps here after a so career elsewhere.

Thread Information