Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 . LastLast

Thread: G10: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Once in LHSAA playoffs bonnabel was about to win a huge upset over st aug. Last play of game they call for the safety play. Qb runs around endzone for a while clock hits zero horn sounds, he throws ball up in air and st aug catches it and scores a TD. Cuts lead to one. St aug makes two pt conversion and wins

Yawn, I was tired and fell asleep just before halftime. I woke up to find out the game was over and we won. I was happy and went back to bed. This morning I got to read about all the fun stuff I miss. What a great game that must’ve been, the second half with all the excitement that took place. I am going to have to find a replay of the second half. Anyways I did get a good nights sleep. Geaux Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I may be in minority here but I understood taking the Levi safety. There is an article on the ESPN website where coach explains his logic. What I don't understand is why we put the ball in the air on third and two. I can even understand calling a pass play but as soon as Levi sees it is not open, running straight ahead or taking a sack should have been an immediate reaction. Especially so, if you are going to take the safety on fourth down. That way, App is forced to take their last timeout prior to getting the ball back. On the missed FG at the end, a Cajun actually tipped the ball according to the ESPN article. That means the Cajuns won it more than App lost it. Someone told me that Big Sauce was the one who got a hand on it. I would like to see a slow motion replay where I can get a better look at the tip.
    I thought he got a hand on it too.

4. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Quote Originally Posted by Gueydanmike1969 View Post
    I'm up and watching the game again like any old ex-coach would be doing. I feel like a little kid that woke up on Christmas Day and got his Red Ryder BB gun he yearned for. I love this team and this University so much and I thank God and the Good Lord Jesus Christ for delivering this victory to us. Yeah, I know that this is just a football game to some of us. But we've waited so long to beat that team and I'm intent on savoring this win no matter how it transpired last night. Thank you, Lord for this long-awaited moment and Geaux Cajuns!!!!!
    .I watched the game with former UL DB and former Gueydan coach.can you guess the guyI am going back a bit in time!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunmole View Post
    Playing a road game in crappy weather against a very good App State team that the Cajuns have never beat in the past. Wow! What an awesome win. We are good!
    Go Cajuns!!
    Bump

6. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    Bump
    .Back in the days when players could block, catch, run, tackle, and pass.they could also PUNT.sweep to the left with LL and Ragas leadingif not a first, clock runs or a Last App TOut.4th down and we look like we are going for itQuick kick ball rolls and clock runs off even more time without a return!

7. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .Back in the days when players could block, catch, run, tackle, and pass.they could also PUNT.sweep to the left with LL and Ragas leadingif not a first, clock runs or a Last App TOut.4th down and we look like we are going for itQuick kick ball rolls and clock runs off even more time without a return!
    What if on fourth and short we have Levi under center and Rhys Byrns deep in the backfield?

If Levi doesn't like the defense he tosses it back to Byrns.

If you plan on running the ball the defense has to do it with 10 players in case of punt.

8. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .I watched the game with former UL DB and former Gueydan coach.can you guess the guyI am going back a bit in time!
    Charlie Fox?

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I have not seen the ESPN article . and I still do not think I would have made the same choice . but I certainly understand the choice and was not shocked by the decision Napier made. What I discussed with my wife at the time .

1) Obviously everyone was uncomfortable with punting the ball and my thought going into the Cajuns' last offensive series was that they needed to play for a first down to win. I and many others would have run the football on that 3rd and 2 . especially when the defensive alignment on that 3rd and 2 was was achievable for the Cajuns (was not an 8 in the box alignment). If you come up just short, you challenge your conference best OL and RBs to win the game on 4th down.

2) This did not happen and we go back to the fact that nobody was comfortable punting the ball in that situation. Now, to take a safety on a 4th and 2 from your own 35 is one of the most unconventional things I have seen. But if Napier had come to the conclusion that he cannot risk attempting a punt, you are either going for it or taking the safety.

** Another hybrid option I would consider is . line up to attempt the punt. If the snap is clean, you punt away. If not, the punter is mentally ready to chase the ball down and attempt to ensure a safety (scooping and running . or kicking it out of the end zone). Being mentally ready is an advantage in that an over-snap is always a surprise to the punter. In this case, it would not be a surprise (unfortunately for the Cajuns in this game) and the course of action would have been thought-through beforehand. Still some risk here, to be certain. But another option. A variation of this would be to put one of the blockers back behind the punter to increase the probability of success in an over-snap situation.

3) The FG kicking conditions (everything from the snap, hold, to kick) were perilous. Had they not been so perilous, I do not think Napier would have allowed the lead to be cut to three points in that situation. But I think that this situation was different and some unconventional thinking was reasonable. But I think another important aspect in favor of Napier's decision was .

4) When a team is down by four or more points and it is TD or bust, it changes the mindset of the trailing team. They are more aggressive in their approach. Conversely, when a team is down by three, they are more conservative in their approach . especially once they are in FG range. The approach is not to make a mistake and sure that at minimum they get to a FG attempt. Add in that the FG kicking conditions were perilous, this adds to the probability that the Cajuns escape with a win. I am not convinced the Cajuns make it out of Boone with a win had App State been down by five and forced to put it in the end zone. App State would have had a different mindset.

5) The context of the situation/game was unique and we may never see such a context for a decision like this ever again. I do credit Napier for some out of the box thinking that was sure to draw significant criticism (even with eventual success), especially at the outset before people had a chance to truly digest all of the variables.

As a post-script . the App State kicker was kicking the ball low all night. I thought the Cajuns had a block earlier in the game on the 43-yarder (just missed). He obviously missed the short FG earlier in the first half. On that final FG attempt, it was also low and I felt that if the kick would have been online, the ball would have intercepted a legion of Cajun hands resulting in a block. I am not convinced that the Cajuns still did not get a finger on the kick that was left.

Brian
    GG,

I always enjoy your analyses, they reflect a serious consideration of a lot of variables.

Some years back, it occurred to me that it might be advantageous to deliberately take a safety, in order to flip the field. About 3 weeks after that occurred to me, dang if Spurrier didn't do exactly that late in a game at UF, and just trust in his D to get them through. I don't remember who he was playing, but the 'Gators ended up winning the game.

So I will say that however much we might criticize this or that, Napier's decision to take a safety was *very* original thinking, maybe even more original than Spurrier's: it never occurred to me to intentionally take a safety to remove some uncertainty from a game. Being able to modify a highly stochastic situation is one of those critical considerations that doesn't often come up in basic game theory. Removing uncertainty has a value, although it can be really hard to calculate that value, because the uncertainty itself is hard to estimate.

So all other considerations aside, what I like in this is that Napier is no dumb jock.

I'll always be enthusiastic about a coach who is thinking about problems in innovative and unorthodox ways. Napier is that guy.

10. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

I DO think Louisiana would have won in overtime.

11. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    So did the Coach

12. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So did the Coach
    Biggest compliment you've ever given me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    A lot of games that do go into overtime end up in a field goal contest.

I was not looking forward to running out “place kicking team” (pronounced long snapper) in overtime with the game on the line.

14. Default Re: Final: Louisiana 24, App. State 21

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    A lot of games that do go into overtime end up in a field goal contest.

I was not looking forward to running out “place kicking team” (pronounced long snapper) in overtime with the game on the line.
    Excellent point

And I find it amazing it was thought thru ahead of time. True Saban protégée

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 . LastLast

Thread Information