Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conference Basketball Schedule Change

UL Basketball Conference Basketball Schedule Change

SBC basketball games will be held on Fridays and Saturdays this season.

You will play the same opponent twice on a weekend on the same court.

There will be only divisional play in the regular season. We will play Texas State, UTA, Little Rock, and Arkansas State four times each (twice at home and twice away). We will play ULM only twice, once home and once away. My thought was we should go to 20 conference games rather than 18. However, only 25 games are allowed this year and some schools had too many non conference games set to allow for 20 conference games.

At last Friday's fund raising golf tournament, coaches mentioned this to players and volunteers. It was not official at that time and still may not be official. However, someone who covers the SBC tweeted this yesterday so no reason not to share this now. Our coaches have some reservations about this. First of all, it competes with HS basketball on Friday nights. While attendance may be limited, we sometimes get the HS players themselves at games on Thursdays. Also, since Saturday games will start no later than 4 PM, there is a concern about body recuperation time for players. Reason for that time requirement is to minimize hotel overnight stays as teams will leave for home immediately after the Saturday game. It is understood that this is a cost saving move and and may help battle the COVID pandemic. Attendance is limited everywhere so not much attention was given to the issue that people will not want to go to games that close to each other. Every team is in the same boat so we will all learn to deal with this for hopefully only this season. What has not been determined is how the conference tournament will be handled. At this stage all 12 schools are supposed to go to Pensacola. Our coaches feel it is unlikely that stance is maintained. More likely only the first and second place teams per division qualify for the post season conference tournament. This will be an unusual conference basketball season from a schedule perspective to say the least. I imagine it is possible the diamond sports will have similar changes made to their conference schedule.

Default Re: Conference Basketball Schedule Change

Yuk. Not much else to say. Thanks for the info Mike.

It looks as though this is the final schedule for conference hoops. Don't think it's going to change again.

It seems I hear something different about spring sports every other day. It may be Jan 1 before things get (totally) decided. I will be very surprised if the start of the season isn't pushed back.

Someone sent me a PM asking was this schedule change official, if so why was that the case, and why did he not see a thread on the topic. Yes, the Friday and Saturday schedule is official, it is due to COVID and is an attempt to minimize costs, and the thread does exist but was pushed down the list due to us being in the midst of football season. This post should move it up the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Someone sent me a PM asking was this schedule change official, if so why was that the case, and why did he not see a thread on the topic. Yes, the Friday and Saturday schedule is official, it is due to COVID and is an attempt to minimize costs, and the thread does exist but was pushed down the list due to us being in the midst of football season. This post should move it up the list.
    Mike, we had 16 games on last years schedule. With 9 conference home games, how many OOC games might we be looking at having home?

The schedule appears to be almost complete. With the 25 total game max, 18 scheduled conference games and 6 non conference there is only room for 1 possible addition. As of now the non conference home schedule is Xavier New Orleans, Loyola New Orleans, UNO, and LA Tech. 2 non conference road games at UNO and VCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    The schedule appears to be almost complete. With the 25 total game max, 18 scheduled conference games and 6 non conference there is only room for 1 possible addition. As of now the non conference home schedule is Xavier New Orleans, Loyola New Orleans, UNO, and LA Tech. 2 non conference road games at UNO and VCU.
    I had not seen we had a game against Loyola of New Orleans firmly set. Hatch is right in that we have one remaining game to schedule. I bet they are now looking to make a little money with a payday road game. Too bad we could not talk McNeese into playing. Seems like they would have considered it since they are practicing at our facility and living on our campus.

I had not seen we had a game against Loyola of New Orleans firmly set. Hatch is right in that we have one remaining game to schedule. I bet they are now looking to make a little money with a payday road game. Too bad we could not talk McNeese into playing. Seems like they would have considered it since they are practicing at our facility and living on our campus.
    Time for an intervention and/or eviction.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    We could let them use our spare jerseys too!

10. Default Re: Conference Basketball Schedule Change

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    We could let them use our spare jerseys too!
    ... Again

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    ... Again

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    You are not the only fan who feels that way regarding McNeese using our facilities and still refusing to play. I presume the university feels we would get too much negative press if we kicked them out while their own campus has millions of dollars of renovations necessary to get anywhere near back to normal.

By the way, calls for ticket location selections are underway. Received mine a few minutes ago. This process should have been followed in football. I know there are many more tickets to deal with. However calls to the top person on the RCAF list moving on down is the fair way to handle this.

By the way, calls for ticket location selections are underway. Received mine a few minutes ago. This process should have been followed in football. I know there are many more tickets to deal with. However calls to the top person on the RCAF list moving on down is the fair way to handle this.
    Waiting on my call. Estimated day was tomorrow. Any luck getting tickets near your old location?

I understand compassion. But at the same time, nobody should be questioning why, especially us older fans, we need to let them die on the vine.

As far as the schedule and tickets, we opted out until next year. Health on the home front and too much uncertainity in the schedule. Our commissioner could not find his way out a cardboard box. Coaches are right...Friday night? That would hurt the gate even with no Covid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information