Thread: FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

1. UL Football FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

The last two opponents for the UL Ragin’ Cajuns had a combined record of 7-1 going into matchups against coach Billy Napier’s club.

That won’t be the case when the Cajuns (4-1, 2-1) travel to Texas State in San Marcos at 7 p.m. Saturday.

2. Default Re: FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

The only way I can totally ignore TS's 1-6 start ... Is if they start 1-7.

3. Default Re: FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The only way I can totally ignore TS's 1-6 start ... Is if they start 1-7.
    While we are the better team vs Texas State, this is not your run of the mill 1-6 Texas State team. Their backup QB, Tyler Vitt, is a Junior who played in 9 games in 2018 and started 5 and Played in 9 games in 2019 starting 7 and has played in 4 games this year starting 2. This year his numbers are good, he has completed 62% of his passes with 6 TD's and only 2 INTs. And again he is the backup. The starter is Memphis transfer Brady McBride. McBride is by comparison the closest thing I have seen to Johnny Manzeil ever. He makes mistakes, gets himself in trouble, looks terrible at times, but can make nothing into something in a heartbeat, they are both solid QB's. McBride has completed 60% of his passes for 8 TD's and 4 INT's, but it is what he does when a play is breaking down that makes him the most dangerous. He will throw interceptions, its gonna happen, but he also will take a play that looks like he is going to get sacked and throw a TD pass. I have watched parts of 5 of their games this year, the kid is unusually special. Vitt is athletic, but McBride is sick.

At Running back they are good too, their main guy is Calvin Hill (no not that Calvin Hill and no relation, that I know of). But he is good, he is small and shifty, listed only at 5'7 168. He can run it, but he is really good catching it out of the backfield and is tough in open space. He has 16 catches on the season. he is also averaging 5.1 yards per carry on a 1-6 team. Brock Sturgis is their more physical back and is listed at 5'11 200 lbs. He is pretty good as well, both of these guys have about the same amount of carries.

They spread the ball around to a handful of receivers, the most special of which is Marcell Barbee, he has 6 TD's on only 19 receptions. Jeremiah Haydel is good to, he has 3 TD receptions as well. But they are not just good at #1 and #2, they actually have 6 players with double digit receptions and a total of 10 that have 7 or more. and 7 of their players have caught TD passes.

This is a pretty good offensive football team that has played the likes of:

SMU, Boston College, Troy and BYU so far. They played SMU to a virtual tie and the same with BC. They should have defeated UTSA. They are by far the best 1-6 team in the country and could easily be 5-2. Even vs USA they were tied with 10 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and then lost by 10. The only games that they have been outplayed are a really good BYU team (#11) and a pretty good Troy team.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

I said it before and I'll say it again. After last season, the CAJUNS have a target on their backs and everybody's gunning for them. Expect this to be a tough game...

5. Default Re: FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

There’s never going to be a laugher. All these teams have some special athletes.

Default Re: FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

Unless you’re expecting our offense to look completely different then they have to this point in the season, this will still be a game in the 4th quarter. I’ll be happily suprised with a beat down while stealing all my kids Reese’s Saturday night.

Cajuns 30
    Tx St 21

Cajuns 42-24 late pull away

Got to get pressure on these QB's. BYU blew that game open when they started really getting after them and pressuring them into decisions that were not good. The QB made a scramble to the right side and threw a horrible ball that was intercepted for TD that kind of blew the game wide open. They have been very competitive in just about every game and should have beaten BC. We have to play better and we have to get healthy.

Much improved offensively. They lost some good players on the defensive side of the football.

They definitely could have a better record. Their kicking game has cost them twice.

11. Default Re: FB: Ignore Texas State's 1-6 record

They are going to be very thin in the defensive backfield this week as they have to regular players that are going to be doubtful. After listening to the Texas State Press conference after the BYU game, Coach Spat stated that they finished the game with only 4 healthy DB's and that they were moving regular safeties over to Cornerback for the game.

This week they will probably be without DeJordan Mask, regular starter at Free Safety and backup CB Roderick Hockley. Their could be others that they will be without, but these are two that he stated at the Press Conference.

Kordell Rogers is a question mark as well.

Thread Information