Thread: Offense observations

UL Football Offense observations

Since we are half way through the season, it looks like our offense is what it is....we are clearly not as explosive as we were last year and we have struggled to gain more than 1 to 2 yards on first down...The strength of the O-Line has been pass protection, but our zone blocking scheme has failed to open significant holes against teams up the middle, but it looks that we have more success running outside the tackles. Kyren Lacy is Our best receiver and needs to be thrown to a lot more...Last night was a great win vs a really good opponent. Also glad to see them run Levi more...y’all thoughts?

Default Re: Offense observations

Levi does appear to have regressed with his accuracy and possibly decision making which I can’t figure out. But he can’t get all the blame for the offense. This line is nowhere near the o line we had last year. There’s a reason we have 2 rookies starting in the nfl. I’m not sure if our receivers are getting as much separation as last year which is causing Levi to hold the ball instead of making the throw. I think Levi has lost some confidence. Bradley might be the biggest loss of all. He caught more 50/50 balls then I want to remember because I hate 50/50 balls. But we sure could use some now. Haha.

In last nights game I noticed UAB backs getting first contact 1 yard past the line of scrimmage Cajuns 1 yard behind. Not only is that a 2 yard difference on average every running play. It’s also 2 yards that their backs gain momentum so they fall forward a lot. Cajuns were getting hit before they were getting going. My only answer for the oline is HOLD more!!

This football team hasn't hit it's stride yet. I agree with the idea that Lewis needs to run more, especially when he has the opportunity to on broken plays. It seems to make him more affective & it looks like it brings up the energy level of the whole offense. Hence the term getting lathered up. But there have been an awful lot of balls that could have been caught that were left on the ground as well.

But in reference to the game last night, Gossett made an incredible football play on that huge reception that would have turned that game last night into a route for UL & it was taken away by a horrible holding call. This team is going to continue to improve in all three phases of the game & I have a feeling next Saturday is when the whole can of whip ___ gets opened up & we really see what this team can do the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    This football team hasn't hit it's stride yet. I agree with the idea that Lewis needs to run more, especially when he has the opportunity to on broken plays. It seems to make him more affective & it looks like it brings up the energy level of the whole offense. Hence the term getting lathered up. But there have been an awful lot of balls that could have been caught that were left on the ground as well.

But in reference to the game last night, Gossett made an incredible football play on that huge reception that would have turned that game last night into a route for UL & it was taken away by a horrible holding call. This team is going to continue to improve in all three phases of the game & I have a feeling next Saturday is when the whole can of whip ___ gets opened up & we really see what this team can do the rest of the season.
    Affective or Effective?

Seeing Gossett back will help our offense. Losing so many experienced receivers hurt offensively. OL isn't as good. They are still looking for the right mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post

You and I are on the same page on that holding call which took away the big pass play to Gossett. Upon seeing the replay, I had a hard time seeing where holding occurred. Had we not pulled the game out, that call may have cost us the victory. We would have had first and goal on the two. On that series we ended up failing to convert a fourth down. Coastal scored due to a short field. That holding call could have ended up being a disaster for us.

IMO our most explosive threat in the passing game is grossly underutilized. Neal Johnson is a huge mismatch for LBs & Safeties. He should be used like Ladarius Green was in his first three years.

I agree with a lot that’s been said. The running attack last year allowed Levi to throw when he wanted to, not needed to. I think that covered up a lot of sins. We had such big leads in several games last year that when Levi would throw for 70%, it’s because he wasn’t forcing it and his receivers were just veterans. Not the case this year.

I also think credit needs to be given to the teams you’ve played. We had no Liberty (last year’s Liberty, not this year because they are 6-0) and Texas Southern to start the year. The close games we played last year, the ones that were decided by 10 points or less, we were 2-3. This year we’re 3-1 and the 4th game was a win against ranked Iowa State. I’m impressed with that and I think the team has grown into being able to grind out games AND win them. A good trait to have.

I’m hoping the TXST game will be more of what we got last year. Tons of success running the ball and throwing because it’s a good opportunity. Chances are that come Halloween night, we’ll feel a bit better about the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Affective or Effective?
    The one that makes him & them better.

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Since we are half way through the season, it looks like our offense is what it is....we are clearly not as explosive as we were last year and we have struggled to gain more than 1 to 2 yards on first down...The strength of the O-Line has been pass protection, but our zone blocking scheme has failed to open significant holes against teams up the middle, but it looks that we have more success running outside the tackles. Kyren Lacy is Our best receiver and needs to be thrown to a lot more...Last night was a great win vs a really good opponent. Also glad to see them run Levi more...y’all thoughts?
    Good analysis. Valot did a good job against a NT who had a huge size advantage, but UAB's interior line beat us up pretty good. I like our depth there, so maybe we have a guy or two step up. Agree on Lacy. LeBlanc is a good receiver but he is not ready to be a #1. TE is used sparingly again this year. May just be the nature of the offense we run. And yes...Levi needs to run 5-7 times a game. He is a difference maker when he runs.

Thread Information