Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 The Game that Wasn't

Default Re: UL v Coastal...What's your game plan?

Keep Coastal’s offense off the field.

Default Re: CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

Great picture and a beautiful baby!

3. Default Re: UL v Coastal...What's your game plan?

Run run run and incorporate the tight ends across the middle.

Default Re: CHAMPIONSHIP WEEK

Nice Pic Dave, beautiful girl!

5. Default Re: UL v Coastal...What's your game plan?

We have got to get off the field on 3rd down on defense. In the first game vs Coastal they were 9 of 15, plus 1 for 1 vs us on 4th down, meaning they extended 10 of the 16 drives when we had them in 3rd down. The other thing is we need to make it 3rd and 7 plus. This team thrives on 3rd and 1-4, but struggles more on 3rd and 5+. I seem to remember them running the same play on a handful of 3rd and shorts vs us, where McCall faked the hand off and rolled out and hit a running back or tight end in the flat wide open, that play works well on 3rd and 3, but not as much on 3rd and 9. Ironically it was the same play we ran on 4th down late in the game that was wide open and was dropped by Elijah Mitchell that may have won the game for us.

We have to be solid on tackling, we must not let guys like Marable and White get past the first tackle. Again, keeping them behind the chains is key. They are allot like Georgia Southern and App in this way. This team will kill you when it is 2nd and 3rd and less then 5. But 2nd and 3rd and 8+ is where our defense has the advantage.

On offense we must be able to run the ball and control the clock. You want to see Mr. McCall and Mr. Marable on the bench more than on the field. CCU killed us in Time of Possession in the first game, they held the ball for 38 minutes plus, while we had it for less than 22 minutes. Coastal loves to have long drives and eat up the clock, we can not allow this, see above (get off the field on 3rd down).

If we control the clock, limit their 3rd and shorts and do not lose the turnover battle we win. If any of the above happen to us, we will be in a dogfight that will be hard to win. And as John Madden so eliquently put it years ago.... “Usually the team that scores the most points wins the game.”

6. Default Re: UL v Coastal...What's your game plan?

So on 6 of the 10 3rd or 4th downs that Coastal converted they were 3rd and 2 or less.

3rd and 1
    3rd and 2
    3rd and 1
    3rd and 2
    4th and 1
    3rd and 2

They converted 1 3rd and 11, the other 3rd downs that were converted were 3rd and 6 (twice), 3rd and 7 once and 3rd and 11 once.

When we stopped them on 3rd down 4 of the 6 were on 3rd and 5 plus. 3 times were 3rd and 7 and once was 3rd and 5. The other two stops were 3rd and 4 and 3rd and 5.

So as you can see, we have to get them in 3rd and long. On 3rd and 5 plus they were 4 of 8, on 3rd and 4 or less they were 6 of 8. So the difference between 50% conversion and 75% is a huge difference.

While turnover margin is always important, I think it's especially critical in this one. These two teams have the best turnover margin in the league.

I really think mistakes decide this one. Whoever makes the fewest will win. The only category that bothers me is penalties. We need to cut down on that

8. Default Re: UL v Coastal...What's your game plan?

Quote Originally Posted by JayWalker View Post
    While turnover margin is always important, I think it's especially critical in this one. These two teams have the best turnover margin in the league.

I really think mistakes decide this one. Whoever makes the fewest will win. The only category that bothers me is penalties. We need to cut down on that
    Jay is right on this, in Game 1 we had 6 penalties for 50 yards, they only had 3 penalties for 25 yards. While his does not seem like a huge difference every yard will be important in this game.

Also turnovers are key as well in Game 1 they won the turnover battle 1-0 and ours was a huge one. We have to make sure we do not turn the ball over and if we can get something from them that would be great. They don't turn it over much as McCall only has 2 INT's on the season.

Put as much pressure on their qb as possible and stop their rb Marable

I think the Defense is playing more consistent than they were earlier in the year when we played CCU. I think they will play well and hopefully force some turnovers.

My concern is on the offensive side of the ball. I've been an ardent defender of LL all year but the haters are right, he needs to show up and play well in this one. We can't keep missing open receivers and he will need to be a threat to run the ball. This would be a great time to put up our best offensive effort of the season. I feel we are knocking on the door but just need to kick it in.

Defense has to be perfect. Need to win on 1st down, like Dave said, its 2nd and long, 3rd and long that will be key. Our DB's can man up, leaving someone free to blitz, blitz, blitz on 1st down. Pressure the new LT all day long.

On offense, LL just needs to run on RPO or Zone Read anything that's 2nd or 3rd and less than 4 yards. Eats up time, moves the sticks, and keeps Coastal honest on D.

Would also like to see a fake punt, with Ryes B jumping high to simulate a high snap.

Default Re: Sun Belt Conference Championship Game Moved to 2:30 p.m. on ESPN

Sweet! I'll be able to watch it now. GEAUX!

My game plan: Land in Boise at 12:30 local, hit the elliptical for 30 minutes, shower, then grab a cold one and watch the game because it's been moved to 2:30 p.m. and I'll be able to watch it now! WOOHOO!! GEAUX!!!

14. Default Re: UL v Coastal...What's your game plan?

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post
    My game plan: Land in Boise at 12:30 local, hit the elliptical for 30 minutes, shower, then grab a cold one and watch the game because it's been moved to 2:30 p.m. and I'll be able to watch it now! WOOHOO!! GEAUX!!!
    You have some kind of pull getting them to move the game time for ya.

15. UL Football LA vs CCU: Pick & Predict

RP3 & Company with Damon Mason

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information