Thread: Cajuns vs cyclones: difference makers

Default Cajuns vs cyclones: difference makers

Not a whole lot of game talk around here. Who do y’all see as a possible difference maker in this game, or dark horse??

I have a feeling Tayland humphrey is going to show off this game. I’m excited to see him and Z Hill next to one and other in certain packages. Especially if ISU leans heavy on the run.

There’s talk of rain tomorrow in Ames, but the hourly’s not showing it till 2:00 pm. There’s possible rain overnight. The field is grass so we could have some soggy conditions. Game in the trenches??

Also going to need the new OL men to grow up real fast. This will be the best front 7 we see this year.

Default Re: Cajuns vs cyclones: difference makers

Very interesting that you say our OL need to grow up real fast. I think they are pretty well grown, both in size and experience.

Center Shane Vallot 6'0" 281 lbs, started all 14 games last year and played in 3 games in 2018. Was rock solid as a starting center after being a walk on and having no idea until the start of the season that he would be a starter.

Right Guard--O'Cyrus Torrence 6'5" 332 lbs. 13 starts at Left Guard last year and a preseason all conference performer. Can't ask for much more out of a True Sophomore.

Right Tackle--Max Mitchell 6'6" 297 lbs. 14 games as a true freshman 14 starts as a sophomore, probably the most NFL ready lineman on the team, besides the before mentioned Torrence. Another potential All SBC player.

Left Guard--Ken Marks 6'4' 308 lbs Senior. Ken Marks started 14 games in 2018 and without injury last year would probably have been a 14 game starter in 2019.

Left Tackle--Zach Robertson 6'6" 297 lbs Senior transfer from Arizona State. 18 starts and 31 game games played at Arizona State over the course of 3 years and again a potential All SBC player.

I don't know if we need to grow up on the OL. We have experience, size and depth that we need. I have not even started to mention that our 2018 starter at Center who is a Senior is listed as a backup at both Center and Guard, not to mention Jax Harrington who might be a starter if not for the fact that Robertson transferred in and Spencer Gardner who has played in 26 games over the course of 2 years for the Cajuns.

The one spot I am not concerned is OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Not a whole lot of game talk around here. Who do y’all see as a possible difference maker in this game, or dark horse??

I have a feeling Tayland humphrey is going to show off this game. I’m excited to see him and Z Hill next to one and other in certain packages. Especially if ISU leans heavy on the run.

There’s talk of rain tomorrow in Ames, but the hourly’s not showing it till 2:00 pm. There’s possible rain overnight. The field is grass so we could have some soggy conditions. Game in the trenches??

Also going to need the new OL men to grow up real fast. This will be the best front 7 we see this year.
    What new OL men? We are in great shape there.

The only thing I'm worried about is the freshmen receivers learning to catch left handed passes in the next 18 hours.

Grow up is a poor choice of words on my part. I know we have guys with experience and a senior transfer from ASU, but we are replacing 2 NFL offensive linemen. I just hope this group is gelling out the gates. ISU has a good front 7.

6. Default Re: Cajuns vs cyclones: difference makers

Gelling is a good thing.

Always a concern early in the season even when inserting studs along the line.

Trusting the every move of the guy next to you is a huge asset.

I’m seeing a lot of talking heads( Even the people with YouTube channels haha) picking the Cajuns to cover. A couple even picked the upset.

I’ve been watching a lot of condensed ISU games from last year. I just don’t feel as good as most. This team seems really solid to me. They are known for starting slow and struggling as home favorites, but.

Purdy is good. Very Johnny/mayfield(Levi) he’s hard to get down, extends almost every play. If we can keep him in the pocket on designed pass plays we have a chance. Breece Hall is a shifty 6’1” RB and according to the depth chart he put on 10 lbs. they have 2 nfl TEs on the roster who could be on the field at the same time. Receivers are young and OL is replacing a few.

The defense is hard to gauge. Sometimes they look like the toughest front 7 around then other games is like Swiss cheese. Secondary’s not special. We can attack through the air.

I think this will be a game In the 4th quarter, I’m not smelling victory like I usually do on a game day, Of course I did lose my smell with covid a few months ago.

Thread Information