Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Basketball season

Default Basketball season

I haven't seen any threads on basketball season is there going to be one?

Default Re: Basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    At this point, plans are to have a basketball season. First game is scheduled at Texas on November 10 which is 3 months from Monday. Who knows what the virus situation will be then. You could have games with a limited number of fans attending or perhaps no fans. Coaches have been working with a limited number of basketball athletes since July 20. Schedule has not been announced due to the COVID situation. Dr. Maggard allowed (basically directed) a higher number of non D1 home games in order to keep expenses down. However many NAIA and Division 2 schools are not planning to field teams this upcoming season. I have heard 2 we were planning to play are in that category so replacements are needed. Other schools will find themselves in the same boat so many more home and home regional matchups will occur. I have no idea who we are talking to about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    One piece of good news regarding Cajun basketball was made public today. Kevin Foote had an interview with Coach Marlin discussed in this morning's edition of the Acadiana Advocate. In there it says that 6'11'' Isaiah Richards of NY has been deemed academically eligible. We have not had a true freshman big man since Shawn Long and he actually went to Mississippi State for a semester initially. Only eligibility question now is the Gibson kid who transferred from Cal. I would be OK with him sitting out now that everyone else is eligible. Assuming health issues go our way and that is never a certainty.

4. Default Re: Basketball season

Good news indeed.

5. UL Basketball Re: Basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    One piece of good news regarding Cajun basketball was made public today. Kevin Foote had an interview with Coach Marlin discussed in this morning's edition of the Acadiana Advocate. In there it says that 6'11'' Isaiah Richards of NY has been deemed academically eligible. We have not had a true freshman big man since Shawn Long and he actually went to Mississippi State for a semester initially. Only eligibility question now is the Gibson kid who transferred from Cal. I would be OK with him sitting out now that everyone else is eligible. Assuming health issues go our way and that is never a certainty.
    How far did Big Fish geaux when he had an NBA lottery pick, and 6’11” Long?Don’t confuse getting players with always leading to success!

I’m just guessing the Cajuns won’t finish as a 3rd seed or better come conference tournament time. I don’t know if it’ll be the age, chemistry, or injury excuse but y’all can count on one or more.

6. Default Re: Basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    How far did Big Fish geaux when he had an NBA lottery pick, and 6’11” Long?Don’t confuse getting players with always leading to success!

I’m just guessing the Cajuns won’t finish as a 3rd seed or better come conference tournament time. I don’t know if it’ll be the age, chemistry, or injury excuse but y’all can count on one or more.
    C’mon Express, its preseason and he is on top right now.

7. Default Re: Basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    C’mon Express, its preseason and he is on top right now.
    🔝

Age won't be a reason for limited success. Yes we have lots of new guys. However only two are freshman and one of those had a successful prep school year. We have a different team, not a young team. We have a JUCO All American, a transfer with 2 years remaining, a transfer with 2 years remaining but not yet eligible, and a transfer with three years remaining. Chemistry is my main concern. Lots of talent coming in but what happens when they don't all get to play the number of minutes they believe they are entitled to. Keeping them all putting the team first is key. On the other hand, having more talent is a positive as far as depth is concerned when you get hit with the injury bug. Health is still a question mark. Wesley and Russell have battled foot issues their entire career. Cadwell and Julien are coming off knee surgery. Good news there is they are on pace to be fully recovered when the season starts. The Butts kid from Mississippi State and the Gibson kid from Cal missed time at their previous stops due to injuries. Good news there is they are fully recovered. May not matter in the Gibson case as he may not get a waiver to play this year. Having said all that this is the most talented team we will have had in the last three years. I would rather be in that situation than wondering how long it will take for projects to develop.

I have a feeling the national retention rate of coaches across all NCAA sports will be an all time high this year. Heck, Brokebacks have their MBB coach as acting AD right now.

Agree job security for coaches may be at an all time high. Goes for all sports and all schools. I do want to make a correction in an earlier post. Our Cal transfer is named Jacobi Gordon. Had a brain lapse when I said his last name was Gibson.

11. Default Re: Basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Agree job security for coaches may be at an all time high. Goes for all sports and all schools. I do want to make a correction in an earlier post. Our Cal transfer is named Jacobi Gordon. Had a brain lapse when I said his last name was Gibson.
    Hey JMV, I guess you think Mike does not know anything either.

Hey JMV, I guess you think Mike does not know anything either.
    Hey VIC, I could care less about Cajun basketball or any basketball for that matter. Coaches might have more job security than most seasons but I never mentioned basketball coaches.

13. Default Re: Basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Hey VIC, I could care less about Cajun basketball or any basketball for that matter. Coaches might have more job security than most seasons but I never mentioned basketball coaches.
    You just can’t read or you don’t listen when your smart phone reads it for you.

You just can’t read or you don’t listen when your smart phone reads it for you.
    You can't read. He said MAY be at a all time high. Didn't say was.

15. Default Re: Basketball season

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    You can't read. He said MAY be at a all time high. Didn't say was.
    You just like the rest of the “know it alls” you don’t know squat and will argue it to the end. That’s why it is so much fun poking holes in your posts.

Good night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information